100 - Diamonds

Emily opened the door of the toilets, to let me go first and I exited the cafe, without a backward glance. Thereafter, I walked through the passageway and out onto the busy street where the stall holders were all selling their wares. Once among the crowd, I blended into the cosmopolitan mix of London and didn't raise an eyebrow, except for the odd curiosity.

That man, whoever he was, must be mystified to where I had disappeared to. There was a certain amount of smug satisfaction, at the thought of his confusion.

The jewellers was up ahead. It wasn't fancy and was painted black with dark gold Times Roman lettering spelling out the name "Moss" above the shop and in the glass on the door. The business had obviously been around for some time. It was a small shop and had a dusty tone to it. Taking a deep breath, I made my way to the front door.

Pushing the brass handle, the door nonetheless stood firmly shut. Looking up, I turned to the right and noticed the intercom and pressed the buzzer.

"Hello," I said with a stutter.

"Are you buying or selling," said a man's voice in a thick accent.

"Selling."

I heard a buzzing sound. "Push the door and make sure you close it firmly behind you."

I pushed the door by its large brass handle and stepped inside.

A smallish man, with a rather rotunda stomach approached me. He had a friar tuck hair style and the hair that remained was pure white. For some reason he reminded of Papa Smurf and I tried to stifle a smile as that image came to mind. I relaxed as I realised in this get up he wouldn't notice.

He wore a mid-grey pin striped three piece suit, a little old fashioned in style. A small white handkerchief sat in his right pocket of his jacket and he had a gold chain hanging from his waistcoat. His face was round with apple shaped cheeks and he had a kind welcoming smile as he beckoned me in.

"Shut the door, shut the door," he said and before I knew it, he had ran and shut the door behind me, turned the lock and pulled down the blind with a clanking noise that made me jump, at a speed that was rather surprising.

"One has to be careful," said the jeweler, as he almost glided back behind the counter to his previous position, and sat down on his stall.

"So, what brings you here and what can I do for you?"

I removed the covering over my face.

"I'm sorry. It is easier to speak without it but I am expected to wear this to keep the family happy, even if it is not my choice." The lies came easy but it was best not to share what I didn't need to.

He nodded. "I am use to not asking questions, in this line of work," he said, twiddling the arm of his glasses, widening his eyes as he looked straight at me, "what would you like to sell," he enquired.

I pulled out my hand from out my robes and slipped the ring off my finger and placed it on the counter before him, sighing heavily on purpose.

The jeweller picked up his loop to gaze upon the stone and examined the ring from every angle.

"Hmmm" he said, before moving behind him and taking a quick look in a reference book that sat on the shelf behind him before reverting his gaze upon me.

"So, we have here a diamond solitaire ring. Simple claw set. A round brilliant cut. It's a nice stone. I could offer you £5,000 for it," he said, looking up from the stone.

I gasped. "I thought at least £10,000. It cost around £20,000 when I was given it."

"I can't do £10,000. It's just not a viable proposition. The most I could go to is £6,500 and that's my top price. I need to make a profit."

Disappointment settled over me, darker than the shade of my abaya; I had hoped to achieve at least £10,000. That probably could have kept us going for a good few months, maybe even a year with the little I had saved.

I mused over my dilemma;, apparently the jeweller liked to barter, therefore it seemed worth a shot to get more in the pot.

I turned to him and gave him a sincere smile, "Hamad sent me. I know a relative of his very well. He said you would give me a good price."

"Hamad, now that's a different matter, I owe him a favour or two, in that case, maybe I could go to £7,000 but that's it!"

"It's a deal, I'm happy to shake on it, if you just take the stone out and let me keep the ring and replace it with a Cubic Zirconia."

His right eyebrow rose in surprise. I could tell he was a little uncomfortable at my suggestion. 

Edit 3 - PAL June 2017

Thank you for reading this chapter, if you enjoyed the story so far or you have any questions etc about the characters or the story , please let me know by kindly leaving a comment.

Please vote before you go as it means a lot to me and means my story reaches more people on Wattpad.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think, it means a lot to me to hear what you think and will help me grow as a writer.

Kimberley S B Lieb