58 - An Unpleasant Taste

A few hours later and Detective Inspector Morrison was back. This time my head didn't feel quite so foggy and I felt more like me.

As he grabbed the chair, the Detective seemed more at ease without Jarod around and he smiled at me, "Do you remember me; I came to see you earlier?"

I nodded at him, "Yes, I remember you from this morning," I said, as he pulled the chair closer and sat down beside me.

"We have the results back; rushed them through as we were up against the clock. Emmmm, I am sorry to say that the tests came back inconclusive," said Detective Morrison sighing.

He looked at my downcast face and it was obvious he was unhappy with the result.

"Look Athina, we are almost certain you were drugged, by the state you were in when you were admitted and you complained of all the symptoms people have when under the influence of drugs."

He paused, "and...what else Detective?" I said a little agitatedly.

The Detective shifted a little uncomfortably in his seat, "Athina, we know you didn't take the drug willingly, so it is most likely that the drug that was used to spike your drink was GHB as it has surpassed Rohypnol as it basically is much more easily available, cheaper and leaves the body more quickly, and that there lays the problem as GHB is only detectable in urine for six to twelve hours after ingestion."

"Go on," I urged him.

"The other reason why we think GHB likely culprit is that it has no odour, tastes salty, but can be detectable when mixed in a drink, so maybe that's why the wine tasted odd," said the Detective as he raised his left eyebrow in query.

I turned to the Detective as I spoke looking at him straight in the eye, "so let me get this straight in my head," I said as scratched my head in aggravation and annoyance, "you are saying there is no tangible proof of me being drugged, although everyone believes I was!"

The Detective responded grimly as he nodded his head in the affirmative.

"We are almost certain you were drugged as you showed all the outward symptoms and were very dehydrated. We couldn't test the wine glasses as they had already been in the dishwasher." He said as he leaned forward looking at his notes, rubbing his forehead with his right hand.

The Detective looked up and with his forefinger and thumb held his chin, rubbing his finger at the joint as he pondered in thought, "Now what is odd, is Jarod's certain you never drank the entire bottle of wine. That he either left it on the side in the kitchen or in the fridge. Not only that he's sure he saw it in the kitchen when he made your breakfast. Yet no bottle is to be found. It's also not in the trash and the rubbish has not been collected for this week. So where has it gone? It seems too much of a coincidence that the bottle is missing to me.

He carried on rubbing his chin as he looked at me straight in the eye and said with a growl, "I don't like loose ends!" As with a touch of aggravation he crossed and uncrossed his legs.

I sighed heavily, as I said to him "I don't like loose ends either! I'm not exactly happy with the situation. It begs the question, who drugged me and why?"

The Detective looked very gravelly at me as I continued, "What were the results of Jarod's tests?"

He turned towards as he said reluctantly, "The same as yours, I'm sorry to say."

"So," I said, as fiddled with the sheet and bedclothes absentmindedly, gathering my thoughts together unhappily "so where, do we go from here?"

"Well" said the Detective, pausing before he continued on "The NHS only offers the blood and urine tests that you have already had, which don't show up anything but that is to pretty much expected as the likely drugs used, often are detectable for only a few hours. If you still want to look at further checks, then you would be open to privately pay for a hair strand test."