17 - Two Dots

17 – Two Dots

An alarm on Emily's phone beeped.

"Sorry, it's my reminder that I need to go," said Emily.

My eyes turned to my watch and realisation hit me how late it was and that I needed to catch my next train. We had been talking for such a long time, the café was about to close.

We agreed to meet in two weeks time, at the same location. I gave her my email address, just in case, although she seemed reluctant to take it stating she considered emails unsafe communication which seemed a little odd.

As I stood up, an important thought crossed my mind.

"Where's your baby, Emily? Did you have a girl or boy?" I inquired.

She looked downwards and as she raised her face, I thought she might cry. I got the feeling she was just holding it all together, her head shaking, a silent "No!"

"I'll tell you another time." Emily rasped, a voice full of emotion, "but you have to promise me first not to say anything. Ever. Our meeting today remains a secret and I'll tell you more," with anguish present in her tone.

Emily looked around her in every direction before. Then her eyes met mine, the tension almost suffocating.

She gave me her hand, as if we were making a secret pact. I felt obliged to place mine in hers and shake, momentarily.

"Okay, I promise," I said to Emily.

I had to know more. What other choice did I have?

"Before we meet again I'll try and contact you. It might not say Emily, but don't worryyou will know it's me," she said.

I nodded. It seemed to be a touch over the top, but I didn't want to rock the boat by arguing with her about it.

Her phone made a blurb noise and she read the message and looked at me.

"I'm sorry I have to go," said Emily, "I''ve ran out of time, but I'll tell you more soon".

Then she was gone so suddenly, it was as if she had been a complete figment of my imagination. I looked behind me and there was no one but me in the café and the owner beckoned me to the door to exit.

I checked the board for my train time and then made my way to the platform. As I mused over the whole situation, it all seemed a little surreal. However, I had this very strong conviction she was a very honest person. I weighed the situation up in my mind. What did I have to lose?

Jarod worked long hours and we didn't socialise much. Spending time with Emily to hear her story, well it wouldn't kill me?

Then with that thought, crazy scenarios ran through my mind. What if Emily was an axe murderer? A sudden hot sweat covered my body. Hmm, I'll continue to stick to public places and sit next to the exit. Easy escape route needed. Avoid grave yards, bridges and gravel pits. Play safe! Was I being silly? Well, maybe not. My thoughts, went back to the knife sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe! Get yourself together girl, I told myself. However, I knew, I had to find out what else Emily had to say.

The train roared to a stop and as the door opened a rare empty seat beckoned as I stepped into the carriage and thereafter made myself comfortable. What if Jarod was still involved with Theodora? Don't be stupid Athina, that can't be so, as why would he make all these plans with you? My situation with Jarod differs from it was with Emily but it still left me with an uneasy feeling.

As the carriage rattled out of the station, I felt myself looking back to see if I could spot Emily one last time. I did a double take, as I saw Emily embrace an older woman in a bear hug. My eyes widened in surprise. Was it the woman I had seen sitting behind me in the café wearing a hijab. She looked similar. Maybe I was mistaken. I wondered who she was to her, a relative or a family friend? They stood there talking until all I could see was two dots in the distance, as the train sped further away.

Edit PALH -31/10/2017

Special thanks..to Monrosey a wonderful person who I briefly met at Wattpad Toronto this year and has given me good advice when we have  chatted. This Wattys 2014 winner, writes great  books, I can highly recommend The Secret and its follow  up book, also Strawberry Wine and my favourite of hers so far is the edgy thriller Down Came The Rain.  So do check her books out.

BEFORE U GO....

Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb

If you liked this chapter, kindly hit the star before you go and comments greatly appreciated.

I am currently editing/updating weekly

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.