130 - A Statement of Truth

I had only just arrived at my designated room, to find the Officer lurking at the doorway again, eager to speak and in all the circumstances it was understandable but it felt almost too much to have to deal with this too.

"Miss, I'm sorry, we have got the video evidence from your neighbour but we need to take your statement now. A death has occurred and although we have other neighbours who witnessed him take his own life of his own accord, you were the last person with to see him."

The policeman, coughed at the end of the sentence, feeling anxious as he got out his note book and his statement sheets for completion.

"We also have the Family Liaison Officer assigned to this case and she is on her way to see you and will explain her role in the investigation."

"Yes, okay officer." I said to him quietly. "However, I'll have to feed my baby soon."

I looked at my tea and toast. It seemed that was for another time but I quickly took another bite of the sweet treat, nonetheless.

As the Officer readied himself, with the statement form, Emily ran into the room, starring from him to me, standing close to me like a mother hen trying to protect me.

"We are staying with you," said Emily.

"Hmmm, I think it would be better to take each person's statement down individually. That's the usual protocol miss."

The Officer's expression, appeared a little grim, as my visitors stayed glued to their seats.

"I need to take statements from all of you as part of the investigation and I need to take each of the statements in private."

My head started to feel a little disorientated, as I began to feel a little faint from it all. So much had happened in such a short time and I grabbed a glass of water on my bed side table and started to sip it slowly.

The nurse seemed to take control of the situation, by ushering everyone out.

"That's fine Officer, I'll let you have the room we use for private consultations near the nurse's station, if that will assist after you have taken this lady's statement? She's looking a little peaky, so I'm only letting you have ten minutes tops."

"Oh, okay, I understand and thank you Nurse."

"It's Ward Sister, or you can me Yvonne, we're pretty much on a first name basis here apart from the Doctors. If you check everyone's name tags, you are less likely to offend!"

Said the Ward Sister, her eyebrows almost reaching her hair line, appearing to reduce the young Officer to a shivering wreck, as his face went bright red and his pencil twice fell to the floor.

Edit 2 –April 2017 (P)

I wonder if before you go, that you might just click the star below, if you enjoyed the words above, and if you want to share your thoughts, just let it flow :-)

Your feedback inspires me to keep writing and your helpful critique is greatly appreciated and helps me to edit my work as I learn and grow on my journey as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb