88 - Under Cover

In this chapter...Athina goes under cover...

I smiled, the type that is smug with self-satisfaction when a plan comes together. Jarod had played right into my hands.

As I followed him later on that day, Jarod never ever once looked back at me but even if he did so, it was unlikely he would ever guess it was me. It didn't matter if I lost sight of him. I knew where he was going.

The disguise that Emily's Aunt Denise had conjured for me previously had been put to good use. Today, however I had added some more elements. From the local charity shop I had purchased a long black plain flowing skirt and a grey trench coat, plus a scarf for my hair and some cheap sunglasses from Primark.

In a black cotton shopping bag, I placed my black skinny jeans and fitted black jacket to change back into later and slung it over my shoulder. I finished my outfit with low wedged ballerina style pumps, common in style and unlikely to be noticed.

It was important for me, to try to observe them together with my own eyes. That way, I I would know how the land lay for sure. My doubts were overwhelming. I could only take control, if I could drive myself towards my destiny, whatever that might be.

What if he kissed her, the way he did with me? Did that mean I was never special to him? I would never do that whilst in a committed relationship. If he did, I would know for certain that he couldn't be trusted.

I needed to do this, before I put in place the next steps of the plan I had in mind, as after going forward with it, once the wheels were set in motion there really was no going back.

As we both separately advanced near the entrance gates, it was if we were approaching a stately home with gate houses on each side. The large wrought iron gates were chained opened.

There were quite a few people making their way in and out of the hospital walking and driving, so it was easy to go unnoticed by Jarod, who seemed very deep in thought.

I noticed the impressive grounds of the hospital, with large expanses of lawn and well planted flower beds ablaze with colour so opulent, it reminded me of a stately home or royal palace.

As I saw Jarod approach one of the entrances and stop at the security desk, I veered to the right taking the path to the side. The sun glasses meant I could observe him without it being obvious as tried to look into the windows as I moved along the side of the building.

I lost sight of Jarod for a while, so I made my way over to a bench, pausing to rest and pulled out a bottle of water to sip. How had it come to this, that I had been forced to spy on my fiancé. A tear formed at the side of my right eye and I brushed it away with my fingers.

A door closing made a loud clonk, which made me jump. I looked up and noticed the building wound round further to the right. I eased myself off the bench, to go and investigate.

I tried to appear to be causally walking along, whilst trying to glance sideways and see if I could him. Although the weather was crisp the sun was bright, and I was thankful for the glasses that concealed my glances as I kept looking through the windows dotted along the path.

I came to the back of the building and still had not spotted him, until the building appeared to come to an end where a large bush stood at the side. There appeared to be a small secure garden area and I could hear voices, one of which sounded like Jarod.

I moved further along next to a large oak tree, trying to find somewhere I could go where I would not be so visible in my observations. I summed up the space; I reckoned I could just slip into the gap and would be able to observe fully without anyone noticing me easily.

I heard Jarod's voice get louder and a door slam further open. I strained to see through the undergrowth and tried to conceal myself in the oak tree, as my coat rustled against a bush. Jarod looked up, did he hear me move? What if he could see me? A cold shiver ran down my back in fear. I sank further into the dip of the tree trunk.

He appeared to be looking straight at me! I started sweating profusely in panic. Petrified I tried to remain motionless. Trying desperately not to breathe. Feeling sick with panic.

"What's the matter Jarod?"

"I thought I heard something in the bushes."

"Jarod, it's a hospital. There are noises all the time here. It's probably someone walking by or a bird or something. What or who on earth else could it be? Honestly! Come on Jarod, let's not waste time, I have been looking forward to seeing you."

"Okay. I'm probably being silly."

"Phew." That was close, I said to myself, as I started to breathe normally again.

This time I moved very slowly, so as not to be heard.

I pulled out my mobile phone very carefully, trying not to make a noise or drop it with my nervousness. The adrenalin was going at 10 to 11. My heart was beating so loud, I was surprised that Jarod and Theodora could not hear it.

I looked at my phone at the filming options. I turned my phone onto camera and made sure the camera lens was facing away from me. I believed I could get a fairly good picture and the movie feature should run for quite a few minutes. I couldn't view it at the same time I was filming, due to the awkward angle needed to capture the image, to stay incognito.

I raised my eyes upwards and saw Jarod come into focus again. Theodora was standing beside him and wrapping her arms around him and sobbing.

"I can't stand this place much longer" Theodora shouted.

"You need to get me out of here!" she screamed at him, as Jarod appeared to stroke his fingers slowly down the side of her face.

L -Edit 2.1 January 2017

If you enjoyed this chapter, kindly vote before you go and if you have the time your comments would be greatly appreciated, as it helps me grow and learn as a writer and thrive in my journey as a storyteller.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think.

Kimberley S B Lieb

I have dedicated this chapter to OwainGlyn a wonderful poet who I am sure many of you know, who is very talented and an extremely supportive writer and reader on Wattpad.  His wonderful Windswept poems are now available to buy.   Check out his profile page etc for more details.  His poems are so uplifting.