29 - A Worrying Discovery

I changed into some jogging bottoms and a vest top and looked again into the full length mirror. The bruises looked more vivid now, it wasn't a pretty sight! Attending work; wasn't an option.

Then another thought hit me. God, I had better have my contraceptive pill, as I was sure I hadn't had it last night. It was the last thing I did before I went to sleep. With haste, I picked up my handbag and looked inside; all the pills had removed from the packet. Annoyed, I made my way back to the bathroom where I kept my back up supply. That box too had been emptied.

Next I searched for my keys, only to find they weren't in my bag and upon walked directly to my front door. Jarod had locked me in. The bloody cheek. I felt so angry. Who the hell did he think he was? This was my bloody flat! Well he didn't know I had a spare set of keys hidden.

I went over to the kitchen dresser, and pulled out the drawer and turned the mechanism inside, and a secret compartment opened at the back of the shelf, it revealed my spare keys and my emergency £100 stash. I smiled; my grandmother always told me that everyone should have a rainy day fund, no matter how little.

There was one call that I really needed to make before any other and picked up my phone.

"Hiya Tony its Athina upstairs, I wonder if you could come and change my lock today in my door. It just needs the barrel changed." I said to him.

"Why, what's up love, if your lock not working properly, maybe I could fix it, might just need a little tweaking rather than you outlaying for a new one?" he said.

"Tony, I was mugged yesterday and my keys were stolen and I feel a lot happier with a brand new lock, just in case they find something with my address on," the lie flowing of its own accord, "if it hadn't been so late I would have asked you last night."

"Sorry love, I'm a bit confused, how did you get in last night then," asked Tony.

"Oh by pure chance, I had Jarod's set in my pocket. I picked them up by mistake last time I was there," The lies continuing with incredible ease.

"Are you alright Athina love? Did you call the Police?" asked Tony.

"Come on Tony, they ran past me, punched me in the face with one hand and grabbed my bag and all my worldly goods with the other. What's the point? It happened so fast; it could have been anyone!" I said in a panic.

"I'll be right up. Just give me 5 to shut up shop love," said Tony.

A groan escaped my chaffed lips. Now I had to face Tony, my fellow neighbour, who lived in one of the flats and had his own lock business downstairs. Tony was the loveliest guy, but the problem was he didn't miss much. The only plus was that anyone looking at the state of me would think I had been mugged! It was as good excuse as any.

I picked up my mobile and noticed a message from Jarod.

"Please stay home from work today and rest Athina. I am so sorry that we argued, I am so sorry that I lost my temper. You mustn't worry me so, then we won't argue. I am so in love with you. You are my world."

I let out an exasperated sigh as I saw another message from him.

"I have contacted the office. You don't need to. Explained you fell down the escalators at Holborn and won't be in this week, as badly bruised."

Then another message.

"Athina, I am so very sorry. I don't know what got into me. I was so terrified that you had decided to leave me when you didn't ring me. I will do anything to make it up to you. I love you with every breath of my heart and soul and I will never hurt you again as long as I live. I couldn't live with myself if I did."

And another.

"I will spend every moment of the rest of my life making it up to you. I will never act like that again. Without you in my life I have nothing. You are the sunshine. You make my life complete. So sorry. I love you. I love you. Tell me you forgive me. I couldn't bear it if you could not find it in your heart to forgive me."

And then all the rest of the messages were all the same. "I'm sorry. Pls forgive me xxxJxxx"

None of which I responded to.

I phoned the office; for some weird reason, I wanted to gain control of that situation.

"Hello, can I have personnel. Hiya Rachel, its Athina. I understand Jarod has already contacted you. Yes I had a fall at Holborn. Feel so silly now. It was my new high heels; they got caught in the escalators. I was lucky not to have broken anything. I tried to come into work this morning but on the way in I got mugged, they punched me in the face and I'm a bit shaken up to be honest. I know what else? I'll see how it goes but not sure I will be in this week. I'll let you know if that changes. Yes, thank you for being so understanding. Bye Rachel."

That took care of work, at least for the moment.

Edit 5 PALH

I wonder if before you go, that you might just click the star below, if you enjoyed the words above, and if you want to share your thoughts, just let it flow :-)

  No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.