143 - A Desperate Man - Part Two

My eyes bore into Gemma, it was her fault she had created a monster like him. The blame lay at her door.

"No wonder I was making plans to leave him!" I shouted, as I rose out of my seat. Enough was enough.

She looked at me sadly and grabbed my hand in act of compassion.

"Please, Athina." Her brow creased in several lines but I noticed that my revelation did not seem to surprise her.

"Athina, I'm sorry for my son's actions. I wish I could back what he did, I truly do but I can't. There is only so much I can do. I can answer some of your questions but I think we have to solve some of them ourselves. Maybe the inquest will reveal a little more but I am working hard to uncover the truth. I want answers as much as you do. I promise you."

Gemma tried to hold my hand but I left it in my lap not responding, as I saw her eyelids droop and her lips fall at the edges.

"Please, don't worry Athina. I've retrieved the tapes from the Judge and destroyed them. I understand they weren't circulated. He got some sort of kick of having a private sex video collection for his eyes only," said Gemma her head shaking and her shoulders rising up and down, "but not anymore. Be rest assured – it's taken care of. The Judge won't get his kicks anymore."

"Thank you," I said feeling intensely relieved but I could feel my brow knotting in confusion," but how did you know?"

"Something didn't sit right. As soon as I heard the Judge helped Jarod to get the job in Hong Kong, I put two and two together after he died. I think the fee for the job was the video. It's the only thing that makes sense especially with the rumours going around about the Judge. If Jarod had told me his troubles, I would have helped him. But you know how head strong he could be. There have been times in the past when he made some bad decisions and I was left to clear the mess up. I guess Jarod was embarrassed to tell me the truth. We did the Judge a favour destroying them and it's in his interests to keep his mouth shut. I've ensured there will be no trace on his equipment that they ever existed," said Gemma a small wry smile that lingered on her lips, "even if they are checked and it's likely they will be."

"I thought people could always find information stored on pcs if they had the skills," I said puzzled.

"I don't take any chances Athina, if you can't be sure, in my experience, it's best to replace it with clean equipment. That way nothing can go wrong."

She gestured to me to remain seated and I decided to hear her out, after all with the security detail around me, I didn't think she would let me leave quite yet.

"Athina, please believe me when I tell you I believe my son did love you. Jarod has had anger issues in the past and seen a counsellor; obviously these issues had not been resolved. As a mother, I don't like to think that my son shamed himself the way he appears to have. I apolgoise on behalf of my son. It is something I will have to learn to live with." said Gemma as she twisted a stray hair around her fingers.

Gemma's brow furrowed and she pushed the stray hair behind her ear, "I am not condoning Jarod's actions with the Judge for a second. I want you to know Athina, I don't approve of what he did. I feel very embarrassed. But, my gut feeling here, is that he was desperate to escape Theodora. Jarod, I guess in his mind; felt this was the price for freedom."

I raised my eyebrows at Gemma. "It wasn't fair to involve me without my knowledge and consent, whatever the situation." I told her, with sharpness to my tongue, "It was too high a price for me!"

"But Athina, I think you are overlooking something here. He gave his life thinking it would protect you," said Gemma.

"What on earth makes you say that?" I asked, as my eyes widened.

"The letter he wrote to me," said Gemma, as her eyes looked downcast.

"Can I see it?"

"I'm sorry, I was upset and burned it; seems crazy now. I wished I kept it. But his letter gave the impression that if things didn't work out, taking his life would be the only option left and that he begged me to watch over you. That's why I'm here Athina."

"It seems to me, Jarod had already decided he was going to take his life when he sent the letter but I don't understand why," I said puzzled.

"Yes, I agree with you. I guess in Jarod's mind it made sense to him and he must have felt he had no choice. No way out. I'm going to find out, why he felt that way."

"Can you remember anything else he said in the letter," I said, as my eyes met hers.

A tear slowly slid down her white face, as her eyes didn't meet mine but stared into space, as she whispered, "Jarod said he was sorry. And that he loved us."

Edit 5 (P-A-L) 15-May-2017

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb