94 - Man With a Van

As we drew apart and sat back on the sofa, I pushed my hair back away from my face where it had dropped forward and tightened the black elastic band to keep it off my face.

Without realising it, I noticed I was tenderly stoking my stomach. My bump was starting to notice now I was around 3 months pregnant and I guessed it wouldn't be long before I would need some pregnancy clothes. Up to now I had got away with stretchy every day clothes.

"Emily, I want to protect my child and give them every security I can."

Emily took my hand in hers and eyes gazed at mine, as a soft smile covered her lips.

"Athina, it's completely natural to feel the way you do. Try not to worry. I promise you, that I'm going to be here for you, just as you are for me. Just what you have done today, shows you are a wonderful person. Together we can get through this."

I squeezed her hand back.

"Right, we need to have a few things in place. Have you got a date for the move yet?" Emily asked.

I shook my head. "Tony gave me the impression it could go through within the next 2 or 3 months tops. Might be sooner. The developers want to tear the property down as quickly as possible and start the build. Time is money. They have already drawn up the plans and they are with the Council for final approval but they have got the nod as its a redevelopment and apparently ticks all the planning boxes."

"So, if the move happens before the baby comes, he wouldn't know where you had gone?" said Emily.

The Italian libretto of Madam Butterfly filled the room, as the music vibrated from my mobile, interrupting our plan making. My eyes gazed at my phone, hesitating.

"I think I need to take this, Emily, it's Jarod and he'll think it's odd if I don't take it." The truth was he could be difficult if I didn't respond to his calls, although his excuse was that he worried otherwise.

She nodded, as I slid the green arrow to answer and slid off the sofa and walked into the bedroom, feeling the needed for privacy, as I closed the door gently with my foot, leaning my back on the door.

"Sorry Jarod, I need to be quick, I'm in the midst of sorting things at the flat."

"That's okay, I was just checking you weren't over doing things darling. Are you aren't trying to do too much? I could always send over an intern from the office to help you."

I almost choked at the thought of having my secret revealed by an informant of Jarod's. I coughed, before responding, "No, it's fine. I have it all under control, so don't worry. Tony has got someone to help me clear my flat, so I'm just getting all my personal bits together," as an afterthought I added, "but that's kind of you to make the offer. I do appreciate it."

"Hey, you're my girl, I'm try to do the right thing sometimes, even if I am a man," said Jarod laughing. "If you change your mind, just let me know and I can easily sort it."

"Thanks Jarod, but I think I have it under control."

"Athina, I love you," said Jarod, low and soft, so his voice caressed my skin.

"I love you too," I said in almost a whisper, "I'm sorry, but really have to go now. Catch you later, okay," and clicked off.

Edit 4- (P)(a)(L) March 2017

Many thanks for linahanson and anupamarc for their suggestions on this chapter and the next one, to which I therefore added some more tension.  I hope they are pleased with the results and thanks ladies again for amazing tips.

If you enjoyed the story, please hit the star before you go and if you have time to leave a comment or some helpful critique, it is always welcomed, as I grow as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think, it means a lot to me to hear what you think and will help me grow as a writer.

Kimberley S B Lieb