9 - The Reflection

I knew with my life changing and with the imminent pay rise, soon I could afford to buy pretty much what I wanted, but old habits die hard and I found it hard to waste money.

It was too ingrained in me; I had struggled too long and too hard. It was only recently I could relax a little and not panic every time the letter box clattered. I still felt guilty if I bought something I later felt I didn't need and had a habit of returning things I couldn't warrant keeping.

The thoughts were whizzing around in my head as I considered my discussions with Jarod yesterday, assuring me everything was heading in the right direction, but without good friends or parents to turn to for their opinion, I often felt very on my own.

Sometimes I found it hard that lack of family surrounding me. My father and I had had a terrible argument a few years ago and had not spoken since the day I had walked out of his front door. I knew I found it hard to forgive if someone had hurt me but this disagreement was out of any league my father and I had had. I had considered going to the Police but if my father hadn't believed me, I lacked confidence anyone else would. The trust had gone out the window. The walls would never be rebuilt that had fallen in our family.

Sadness settled on my shoulders, every time I saw an art exhibition or new museum collection advertised, as it was something my father and I had shared. Arts and culture was immersed in my DNA from birth. Resented though I had n my youth; it had left its imprint on me coupled with the books I had devoured growing up in a remote village. Reading had been my escapism into a different world.

My circumstances were so different from everyone else I worked with, that I felt unable to fit in, they were older and solvent, or lived, at home. I was out on a limb, scrapping together just enough to pay my bills most months, not in a position to blow my wages on the high life or buying the latest fashion.

As I strolled over to my platform in Liverpool Street, I noticed a large group of people gathering. Uh ho, looks like trouble! I looked up on the information board which advertised 'train cancelled'.

My heart sank and then rose at another opportunity. Coffee shop then!

Upon arrival at the cafe, I was faced with a dilemma. The lovely cakes were to die for, on display. Mmmmm, should I or shouldn't I, that was the question?

Go for it, my inner voice said. I had plenty of time now and I could have a small dinner to compensate when I got home. Pizza could be for another time.

"A green tea and one of those crumble cakes please," I requested.

Well, one sinful and one sinless, kind of makes it not so bad, doesn't?

Don't we all have these conversations in our head?

Well, who am I kidding, but hey, a little bit of what you fancy won't do me no harm! I thought to myself as I smiled.

"Certainly, miss, I will bring it over," said the woman at the till.

Taking a seat, I pulled my book out of my bag, whereupon the tea and cake appeared in front of me.

As I sat and got myself comfortable, I savoured my tea, my nose engrossed in my book at the little café in Liverpool Station, passing the time waiting for my train.

My fingers turned the next page, as I immersed myself further into the gripping part of the novel. The scrapping of the chair in front of me, made me feel agitated at the interruption. I raised my eyes in surprise as a petite brunette joined me at my table without invitation and sat down opposite me and I gasped.

Recognition filled my eyes. It was without doubt the same woman. The one I had thought had been following round the shops earlier.

Shock hit me. It was impossible to stop staring at her.

She had the loveliest sparkling mesmerising cornflower blue colour eyes but there was a wariness hidden within their depths and dark shadows hovered above her pinched cheeks. Her clothes looked as though she had lost weight recently either illness or stress the way her clothes hanged loosely on her slight frame. She was quietly dressed in smart black tailored trousers and causal blue quilted fitted jacket, as though she wanted to fade into the background.

If she had wanted to hurt me, surely she wouldn't have stopped me falling down the escalators.

Recognition must have shown on my face as I moved further back into my chair, as it to protect myself; unsure of the situation.

A serene smile greeted me that made me feel less hesitant. It was strange, but there was something about this woman in front of me; made feel at ease. Bizarrely, I didn't feel at all threatened or the need to get away.

Edit -8 PALH

Please hit that little star before you go if you enjoyed this chapter and comment if you have time to. It is much appreciated.