121 - Never Under Estimate a Woman

"You are never going to take my child away from me. Never. Did you hear me. Do you understand!" I screamed at Jarod as I pounded his chest with my fists.

Jarod's hands grabbed my wrists, as he pushed me away slightly and held them tightly as his hostage. I gasped in pain as he gripped me firmly. Is eyes looked darkly at me, his features drawn the the cold mauve lips narrowed as he let go of my wrists.

I rubbed the bruises that were now forming and wipe the tears from my cheeks. I noticed someone on the other balcony. I could not work out who it was, as my eyes were clouded with tears.

I raised my arms waving at them wildly in the air and shouted as hard as I could.

"Help me. Call the Police," I hollered, as tears streamed down my face.

"Get help now, before he kills me and my baby!" I shouted, with every breath I possessed in my lungs.

Wiping my eyes, I looked ahead and realised it was my neighbour, Mrs Pattison, as she looked back at me.

Jarod approached me, each step shaking the room with his anger, as he grabbed my shoulders, his fingernails digging into my skin.

I glanced back fleetingly at Mrs Pattison. Would she help me? As if by a miracle, she nodded back at me and then disappeared from view. I had faith she would call the Police. I prayed they would come soon. For now though, it was just me and the mad man. There was no alternative but to use my wits to keep my unborn child and myself alive.

So thankful was I, that I had headed Emily's advice given in the note her uncle had handed me that day in the café.

I glanced back at the other balcony and could see Mrs Pattison was back watching, she made a phone action by her ear with her hand and nodded. It seemed that the Police had been summoned and were on their way. In essence I was no longer alone.

Jarod's cheeks were hollow and his eyes looked vacant as he looked right though me.

"The Police are on their way Jarod. The neighbour is watching us."

My spirit resolute and my back bone strong , I carried on speaking to him,

"We're over Jarod!" I cried.

Maybe it was the adrenalin kicking in but I wasn't about to back down again. Jarod dropped his hands from my shoulders.

"You have nowhere to live, no one to turn to. The cards are all mine Athina."

My face beamed with my hidden knowledge. It didn't matter if I revealed it now. We were at the point of no return. There was nothing to lose.

"Actually, that's not true, Jarod. I'm leaving you and I will manage just fine financially without you."

The upper hand was all mine and I glared at him.

"I'll be taking Sophia with me too. Don't even try and stop me!" I responded.

I didn't feel the need to fill him in with all the facts. Jarod's jaw just dropped dumbstruck and remained opened and not one word left his mouth, seemingly unsure of how to respond.

Edit 4 - PAL

I wonder if before you go, that you might just click the star below, if you enjoyed the words above, and if you want to share your thoughts, just let it flow :-)

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think, it means a lot to me to hear what you think and will help me grow as a writer.