76 - A Magical Heartbeat (Part One)

So there more mysteries piling up and it certainly didn't make me feel completely comfortable staying at Jarod's apartment. I kept feeling as though I was being watched and found myself looking over my shoulder every time I went through the front door, wondering if anyone was following me.

Jarod had got nowhere with the Police who said without any leads to follow up, it really could have been anyone. The flowers were traced back to the shop they had been delivered from. However, it transpired that the order had been made by a typewritten letter with cash enclosed in an envelope and posted through the florist's door, the note had also said they didn't have a credit card and were going away on holiday, so had posted this on their way to the airport.

The florist was only just around the corner from Jarod's place and the shop didn't have any CCTV that showed anybody posting the letter through the letterbox, as the camera was not directly on the front door. The florist also said they had delivered the flowers with a blank card as requested. So again, another dead end but someone, somewhere along the line had written that message.

The hospital again stated that Theodora had been in the hospital the whole time and only had limited access to a phone from the communal office, to which they listened into. It didn't add up.

So I wasn't exactly calm, whilst I was waiting to see a new doctor, one I didn't know, regarding my pregnancy. It wasn't exactly conducive to feeling relaxed and calm!

Jarod held my hand as we sat there waiting. There was a loud ticking of the office clock, mixed with a chorus of phones ringing and people coughing.

I picked up an old magazine, flicked through the pages and distractedly before I returned it to the dog eared pile.

"Athina Querney," a voice called.

"Yes, that's us," said Jarod as he grabbed my hand, and shook my shoulder to rouse me from my day dreaming state.

The doctor greeted us and urged us to sit down opposite him. I guess the Doctor was around 45 in a slim fitting light grey suit. He was incredibly slick for a GP, not like any Doctor I had ever met. Quite tall around 6 foot fall, and lean, with that worked out regular look. He had fair skin, and short mid-brown hair combed back, with a trimmed moustache and fashionable middle beard, with his cheeks left bare apart from a thin chiseled line outlining his jaw line.

The Doctor grabbed some papers and sat down in his chair and looked at his notes.

"Mmm, so you have just moved in with your fiancé, Jarod Francis, is that correct?" he asked me.

"Yes, Doctor." and he looked back at his notes and back to the screen.

"I just need to go through a few details as we will request your notes from the other surgery, but it probably will take a few days, okay," the GP said as he raised his eyes towards me and then went through the usual information required.

The Doctor asked to examine me and I lay on the examining bed, as he pressed my stomach and checked my blood pressure, before I was able to re-dress and sit back down again.

"So do you know how many weeks you are?"

I shook my head.

"Can you remember your last period then?"

I scrunched my cheeks up as I thought and said, "I haven't had a period this month and last month. I was really early and it only lasted for around a day".

"Hmmm, so it's possible you might have spotted but if that was not the case, I think we could say you might be a month to 6 weeks. So I suggest we send you for a scan, then we will be able to work out accurately how many weeks you are, okay?"