96 - Goldfinger

I looked at my ring. I wondered what she would think. It seemed such a deceitful thing to do, yet I felt I had to look at every avenue, to keep myself solvent until I was able to work again.

"I had a crazy idea of selling my ring. I went into a pawn shop the other day and they said it was worth around £20,000!" I said it so quickly; the words tumbled out in a rush.

"Really? That's a thought. My god. That would last you at least a year wouldn't it, if you were frugal, maybe two if you include the rent from the flat."

"Yes, but I think he might notice it missing!" I said ironically.

"May I have a closer look at it."

I handed her the ring, and she took several pictures with her mobile.

"Have you got a ruler or tape measure I can use?"

"Yes of course, I'll have a look in my desk drawer, bound to be something in there."

I got up and rummaged around and came back to the sofa where Emily was sitting.

"Sorry, it's not that great, but it is a measurer of sorts." I said as I handed her the free Ikea tape measure I had acquired from a previous shop.

"That will be fine" she smiled easily at me, as she placed the ruler along side the ring, taking another photograph.

"Right, I want you to hold the ring and the tape measure where I say to and hold it until I have taken the photo." I nodded and did as she requested.

Finally she turned the ring upside down and took several pictures of the structure inside before handing me back the ring.

"I have this idea, I need to speak to my uncle but I am pretty sure it can be done. How knowledgeable is Jarod about jewellery do you think? As I didn't think he knew one ring from another."

"No, I don't think he is either. He knows which shops are prestigious and will only buy from respected jewellers but I think he bought this ring to show off. I actually hate very large settings. It was if he was making a statement."

"It could be a way of hiding money. A lot of wealthy people buy gold and jewels and store it in a safe as a way of washing money. Maybe there is another reason but we don't know what that is. Now my idea is this. Denise's husband is Turkish and his brother is a jeweller. I'm wondering if he could make a good copy cheaply, or know someone who can. I will make some enquiries and come back to you."

"I do feel a bit underhand Emily, but I have the baby to think of now and I have to use every bit of ingenuity I have to make sure I can support the baby."

"Look he will find you, that is a dead cert but if you can financially support yourself until the baby is old enough to go into nursery etc, it means you won't be forced to go back to Jarod."

"I know," I sighed sadly, as she patted my arm in comfort.

I was so disappointed in how I came to be here, conspiring to set up a life away from him, from which I could hide until I had the strength to face him. I was just biding my time until the baby was born and I had matters sorted. If I was honest, I kept hoping every day that I would be proved wrong, even though I knew I would not.

"I thought he was my prince charming, that everything had now come right in my life and he would fill up the gaps that were missing. I was filled with such hope and joy and now it is all a sham!" I sobbed.

"Oh come on!" said Emily. "Have you only just realised? For God's sake, I'm trying to help you. Stop feeling sorry for yourself Athina and get a grip. You are in a much better position than I was. I'm sorry, but I need a breath of air, you've made me angry," she said as she walked out of the room and I stood there with my mouth wide open, as she slammed the door behind her.

I sat there, not knowing quite what to do, as she walked back into the room ten minutes later, as dramatic as she left, pushing the door open so hard, it almost fell off the hinges.

"Athina, I had no one to help me. You have me. Look what she did to me."

Emily pushed away her long fringe to reveal the nasty scar!

Emily sounded bitter as she shouted her annoyance at me. "You have your flat! You have your child in your belly! You have a roof over your head and you have me! I have no security! No child! No money! Don't you dare feel sorry for yourself!"

She got up and strutted across the lounge. Her anger resonating throughout the room. I felt terrible; I had nothing comparable to complain about when you looked through Emily's eyes at me.

"You cannot trust him Athina! Whatever he says you have to assume he is lying. Does a man, who loves you, have someone follow you sometimes? Does he trick you into becoming pregnant? Does he have someone follow you here?"

"What?" I said in shock.

"Athina you need to grow up. I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm sorry I got angry, but honestly, we are not dealing with nice people here. You need to open your eyes and smell the roses."

"Athina, I think you are being watched. I have seen the same man loitering by your flat's communal doors when I came last time and earlier. I delayed coming into the flat today, until they had walked away and I had put my big sunglasses on. I thought if they tried to speak to me I would pretend I didn't understand them."

She passed her phone to me. I didn't recognise the man. "I have no idea who that is Emily."

"Why don't you look outside now, see if they there now but don't be obvious okay?"

I nodded and looked out; I could see the same person nervously looking up at the window and as they caught me looking out the window, they suddenly started walking back up the road.

I let out a very heavy sigh.

"So they could find out the truth about the development here?"

"Well, what if you say, you are going to have one of the new flats here, being built in the same place?"

"I like it. It's a good plan. Also when I move out, I can say I am putting everything into storage."

"That's a great idea!"

"I honestly don't think anyone would recognise me now Athina, as I look quite different and you have already told him someone is sub-letting your flat."

"I better go now Emily. Don't forget to leave the address here and good luck with the job. I'll speak to you next week."

"Thanks Athina. Take care and I'll see you soon."

We walked together to the door of my flat and hugged before we went our separate ways.

I felt the chill of autumn as the russet coloured leaves rustled in the trees and pulled my tailored riding jacket together as best I could, which was too tight now to be buttoned, in an effort to keep warm. My fitted ribbed top was stretched to capacity with my expanding bust. I needed to buy some new clothes, to cope with my growing voluptuous figure due to the pregnancy.

As I walked towards the train station, my heart felt heavy and sad, as I made my way back on the train to London to the place that was supposed to be my home. Back to Jarod. Back to heartache.

.

Edit 3 – June 2017

Thank you for reading this chapter, if you enjoyed the this instalment, please don't forget to hit the star before you go and if you have time, be great to hear from you, as it means a lot to me and means my story reaches more people on Wattpad.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think, it means a lot to me to hear what you think and will help me grow as a writer.

Kimberley S B Lieb