107 - A Simple Love

My eyes were drawn to the large billboard outside my apartment boarding:

Essex Homes Limited

"Bringing Affordable Luxury to Commuters

Utilising Old Building Stock and Unlocking the Potential Hidden Within"

The building felt empty and eerie as I walked in. It was evident nearly everyone had moved out now, as the whole building seemed to echo with the emptiness. A touch of sadness enveloped me, as I made my way up to my flat.

It felt a welcome relief to see Emily's cheerful face as I knocked at the door before I unlocked it.

"Hiya, Athina," Emily cheerily said, as she came over and gave me a hug.

"Would you like a cup of tea before we get going? Sit yourself on the sofa, before that goes."

"That would be wonderful, but could I have some hot squash, I've gone off tea. Baby doesn't like it." I said before sinking down on my lovely mauve sofa.

"No problem, here you go," said Emily, as she came and sat beside me, passing me a cup of hot squash.

"Did Sophia like the hat?" I nodded whilst smiling. "Loved it. Here take a look. In fact I will send it to you." I put my cup down on the table and grabbed my phone out of my bag, sending the picture of Sophia in her new hat.

Emily's phone buzzed as I forwarded the picture to her and a smile filled her face as she viewed the picture now on her phone.

"Oh, she looks adorable."

Tony came through the door, a few moments later.

"Hiya Tony, there's a cuppa for you here, look at the new hat I got for Sophia doesn't she look good in it?"

Tony came over to see the picture and put his arm causally around Emily's shoulders.

"She's looks proper trendy in that hat, love! You do spoil her."

Tony said as he gave Emily a quick kiss on the cheek. Going red in the face, as remembered I was there, averting his eyes from my gaze and concentrating on drinking his tea.

"So I thought we had packed up pretty much everything last time I was here Emily. What's left?" I asked.

"Just a small bit of the kitchen stuff and then that is that. I sorted out the new Council Tax and utilities forms. I have explained to Tony, that my old boyfriend was a trouble maker, so that is why the utilities and the bell on the flat will have Aunty's name on it for the time being. That you and I discussed it and thought it was best."

"Seems a bit crazy but I guess if it makes you feel more at ease and safer then it makes sense," said Tony, scratching his head as he thought we were going for the over kill effect.

"It makes Emily feel happier," I said to Tony.

"I don't know why she doesn't just move in with me. Wouldn't that just solve everything," said Tony to both of us.

We both looked round startled for different reasons.

"I think Tony, that is for both of you two to decide and I will support whatever you both want to do but I didn't realise things were serious. Don't you think you need to take it a little more slowly?"

I was so shocked, I thought they were just friends who had the odd meal out. They were both lovely people and I wanted every bit of happiness for both of them. Yet they were both very vulnerable from their past histories and there was a big age difference between them. I felt like mother hen, telling them what to do.

"Em," Emily was so shocked; she didn't know how to answer.

"Just think about it. That's all I ask," said Tony.

"Tony, you know I really like you but it's far too soon for me. Athina's right and I have to take things much slower. I need time to work out if I feel we are right for each other, I need to get to know you better," said Emily.

Emily got up and moved to the window, staring at the people passing by and then looked back at Tony as she carried on, "Look Tony, I've been hurt, more than you can ever realise. You have suffered great pain in a different way. I need to learn to trust you, that doesn't happen over night. I still want to see you but I need to take it a day at a time. I'm not saying no. I'm just saying not yet."

Tony got up and rushed over to Emily and put his arms round her.

"I'm so sorry Emily love, I didn't mean to put any pressure on you but I just don't want to lose you, I want to look after you, be there for you. Sorry, I' don't mean to muscle in and take over your life. It's been a long time since someone special has been in my life; I've forgotten how to act. I need training."

I could see the fear hiding behind his eyes, wondering if he had ruined everything. Then Emily turned and kissed him lightly on the lips.

"I couldn't be annoyed with you for long Tony; you have a heart of gold. I probably need training too. Let's take everything in our stride, enjoy every moment, relish the journey and see where it takes us."

Tony nodded. I saw tears in his eyes of relief.

What a beautiful words Emily had spoken, yet I felt I shouldn't be here, as though I was spoiling a special moment they were sharing and yet in another way I felt privileged to share the moment with them, even if I was on the outside looking in.

They hugged, wrapping their arms around each other and kissed. I could see the depth of Tony's feelings for her and hoped both would not get hurt.

"Right," said Emily. "I think Athina, might be feeling like a gooseberry Tony. Let's get to work shall we? I'll just call my Uncle and see where that van has got to."

The day seemed to whiz by at great speed, it seemed no time at all before I was seeing the van off, with Emily and Tony in pursuit and no chance to quiz Emily alone. Emily and I had agreed provisionally as a security measure, I would not follow them. My personal items she would leave untouched in my new bedroom, at the new apartment, ready to unpack when I visited her.

I took one last look around my old flat. It seemed so strange. There was nothing left but me. This was goodbye to one part of my life and I had been fortunate in this redevelopment. All my post was re-directed to a box number postal service as a further way of making it hard to find me with no ties easy identifying me to my new property. My new flats were even incorporated into a company name, so it would be harder to trace via my name. Hopefully, not even one pebble remained un-covered.

Earlier, I had felt an interloper when Tony and Emily had kissed and hoped Tony would not be angry with us both for not telling him everything. There was no doubt that eventually we would. It would be wrong to indefinitely keep secrets from a good friend but at the moment, the less people who knew our plans, the better.

Their love seemed so sincere and simple and I wished I had a love like that. All I had was Jarod and what we had; was not love as it should be.

Edit 2.3 PAL July 2017

If you liked this chapter please do vote (please hit the star) and if you have time to comment that would mean so much to me, as your feedback inspires me to keep writing and your helpful critique is greatly appreciated as I learn and grow on my journey as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb