78 - A Surprise Visitor (Part One)

In this chapter....old friends become re-acquainted and some unsettling news is imparted

Jarod and I walked hand and hand to the train station. As we reached the main entrance, we faced each other and kissed goodbye. He seemed hesitate to leave me, not letting go of my hand even as the train rumbled in.

"Are you going to go home and rest now Athina?" he said to me softly but firmly, looking at me intently, as he then let go of my hand and then placed a hand on each shoulder.

I shook my head "Jarod, I feel fine and I want to go and get some things from my flat and see about renting my place."

He let out a deep troubled sigh. "Ahhhhhhh!"

He looked stern at me as he continued "you can't carry lots of stuff Athina, it's not sensible."

I sighed resignedly "Huh!"

"Okay, look Jarod, please don't worry I will get a cab back but I am not an invalid you know. I will make sure I leave with plenty of time to make the school run, as I know Sophia loves me to pick her up."

He nodded his reluctant acceptance and his hands dropped off my shoulders as he gave me another quick kiss on the lips. He was so dominant at times but he even now as I appraised his toned form in his smart tailored suit with matching waistcoat he favoured, there was no doubt about it, he made my heart quicken.

"I think that's my train about to leave, I have to go now, I need to catch that or I'll be late for a meeting. I'll see you at mine tonight?" he queried.

"Athina, if you can pick Sophia up that is great, but if not let me know and I will pick her on the way home."

I nodded in acceptance, whereupon Jarod glanced back once more before he was on his mobile and his long limbs taking the steps two at a time over the bridge to the platform on the other side. He just entered the train as the doors were closing and then the carriage disappeared from sight.

As I made my way further along the platform. I glanced upwards to check the screen timetable. It would seem that I still had a few minutes before my train arrived. I looked down at my stomach, indulging in the pure wonderfulness of the baby inside me.

It seemed incredible, that I had this growing life inside me that would be my responsibility to look after, nurture and protect. I pushed every other niggling concern to the back of my mind. So deep did I bury my questions that they would not be easily found as I took the chance to enjoy this moment, as I stroked my stomach protectively.

I whispered the words in my head so just baby and I could hear, "we are going to be okay baby; I am going to make sure you want for nothing. I can't wait to see you. You are so wanted and so loved," and I felt a tear forming in the corner of my eye and I hastily wiped it away. I couldn't let the hormones embarrass me in public, I felt as though everyone could see me being emotional, although it was probably just my imagination.

I walked further along the platform and just as I sat down on the bench my train pulled into the station and I hastily got on and made a beeline for a seat. I snuggled in to get comfortable and let my eyes rest for a few minutes, as I tried to empty my head of everything as the train went on its way.

It seemed only moments before I heard the tannoy call out my stop and I opened my eyes, rather reluctantly wishing I could have just kept them closed a little bit longer. Gosh, I must have been asleep for half an hour or so! I never did that!

I groggily, exited the station and the cool air; hit my face like a slap, waking me up sharply. I pulled my fitted hunting jacket closer with my fingers, wishing I had worn something warmer. The weather had changed sharply since I had left this morning.

As I walked up the hill, a little faster than usual wishing to escape the cold; I realised I would not miss this trek with the move. It was fine walking down it but often on the way home from work after a long day was hard work.

I looked in at Tony's shop, but it had the gone to lunch sign up. I checked my watch. It wasn't even twelve yet, although it certainly wasn't far off. That was unlike him but maybe he was just hungry. I sent Tony a text, saying if he was around and fancied a cuppa and a chat, I would be at the flat for a couple of hours sorting some things out.

I opened the main door to the flats and then shut it firmly behind me and walked over to the postboxes to collect my post. I put my key in the lock but the door took a little pushing, as a mound of post greeted me as it slithered onto the floor. I gathered it up and shoved the post into my handbag. I went to the next entrance door that Tony had recently had fitted and punched the code in and made my way upstairs before unlocking my door and dumped my things on the hall table.

I kicked off my shoes. If felt so good to be home.

I made myself a big mug of tea and sunk into on my big purple sofa, stretching my legs as I savoured my tea. It would have been easy to shut my eyes again but I knew I needed to check my post before I did anything else. I reluctantly put my tea on the side table and grabbed my handbag. I sat back down on the sofa, putting my legs under me.

I started sorting through the post. Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, bills, bills, bills, "Hhhhhhh" nothing interesting. Boring, boring, and boring. It took me back to when I was a kid, my father use to get lots of post and I was always jealous. I remembered that he always said to me, you won't want my post its boring stuff nothing but bills to pay, there isn't anything interesting. I never believed him when I was a child, I thought it wasn't fair. Now I was an adult, I knew ironically what he meant!

Edit 2

Thank you for reading this chapter, if you enjoyed the story so far or you feel I need some pointers to make it better, please let me know and please vote, as it means a lot to me and means my story reaches more people on Wattpad.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for sharing my writing journey

Kimberley S B Lieb