8- An Icy Chill

A sharp ice cold chill hit me; it began from the top of my neck and shot down the length of my spine. I shivered; something didn't feel right. I felt drawn to look behind me and although I was in a public place was strangely daunted to do so. This feeling stayed with me, and I took an involuntary deep breath, as I cautiously turned around, wondering what to expect.

A blurred reflection caught my eye in the window. Yes, I did, I saw something. For a second there, I thought I caught the woman from earlier staring at me. Why would she be doing that? I must have imagined it, since she wasn't looking at me now! Yet I had that uncanny feeling she was following me! What an absurd thought, why on earth would anyone, have any need to follow me? Don't be silly! What a crazy thought; get a grip woman!

I entered the next shop along, not feeling that anything was likely to jump out at me, but it was a little too late to do a U-turn, as I was already through the door, and the staff had already seen me and made eye contact. So then felt obliged to do a "Miranda" swoop round the store (but fortunately not taking all the tables and stock with me). Next, I tried to look interested in the scarves and cover my gulping shock at the ridiculous price tags and restrict myself from shouting, How much! Are you off your rocker? I thought, as I almost fell over, just avoiding taking all of the folded cashmere jumpers of the table. Good save! My head shouted, as I managed to stayed upright.

All I needed was an 'M People' pop up head on a stick and to knock someone over and I would have a 'Miranda Hart Hat Trick!'. I felt like a clumsy extra from her comedy series, as I exited the shop in double quick time, to meander around another. Such fun! I chuckled remembering a catchphrase they use to use, maybe I should try to be a little bit more sophisticated like in her movie Spy! I guess I couldn't get any worse!

Further along, another shop beckoned me in. This one looked more promising as an item caught my beady eye. Hmm, that's a nice dress, I loved it. The soft jersey material draped on thre mannequin was a beautiful burgundy deep red, my favourite colour.

There is sure to be a dinner dance function that Jarod would want me to attend with him. That dress would be perfect. Jarod was so handsome; I wanted him to be proud of me when we went out together. The way he kissed me and the electric feeling of his naked skin touching mine. My mind was drifting away again. I better stop thinking about him.

I walked further in and as I advanced to check the price, the salesman suited and booted, glided towards me as though on skates, a little too slick, with slicked black hair, a little too charming topped off with the usual fake smile.

"Are you interested in the dress Madam?" His eyes twinkled and his teeth gleamed.

I nodded and turned to look at the price tag I was fingering in my hand. My mouth opened and shut again abruptly at the large amount. I felt my head shaking involuntary and a sigh escaping my lips.

"Sorry, it's too expensive," I said turning away from the dress.

The salesman stopped me in my tracks, before I could leave.

"Excuse me miss, if you don't mind me saying, that that colour would suit you so well. It's about to go on sale. I can check what the marked down price is?" said the salesman as his head leaned to one side.

What harm would it do to find out?

"Yes, please!" I responded.

A chance of a bargain, I was caught hook, line and sinker.

"If madam, would wait here please. I'll just be a couple of minutes checking."

It seemed only moments before he was back.

"There's a 75% ticket price mark off."

He punched in the numbers on his phone to work out the price.

"It's the last one. That makes it £65? If you're interested?"

I had already mentally worked out a figure I was prepared to pay for it, if it was in that ballpark, I'd have it, otherwise it stayed in the shop. It was a game I always played when buying anything pretty much and I felt it held me in good stead. If you went over the benchmark you had set, you never felt comfortable with what you spent. Regardless I had to believe it was an affordable good buy without getting me into debt. A quality item, I would pay more than normal , as long as I saw longevity in it.

My eyes were drawn back to the dress, right size, favourite colour, amazing price for a designer dress.

A big broad grin filled my face.

"I'd be happy to pay that."

Wow, my lucky day.

It didn't take long before they had processed the transaction, wrapped my purchase, then placed within the legendary monogrammed thick paper store bag and I left with a skip in step as I left the store.

As I passed the exit, I thought I saw a familiar reflection again in the glass doors. It's that woman again. Surely, I couldn't be mistaken again? She only looked away when she noticed I had clocked her. She looked sad. The woman's clothes seemed loose on her and she had dark circles under her eyes.

Was she following me? I shook my head in the negative, as if to affirm my mistake. It was just a coincidence. Let's face it, most likely she was just wandering around the shops like me, waiting for her next train, wasting time as people do. Stop imagining things Athina. Get a life!

I retraced my way back through the parade of shops and made the conscious decision to avoid the escalators, as walked down the steps to the concourse.  

I am a very big fan of Miranda Hart....I know she is a British comedian/actress...but she has been in a few big films too.  she is very funny...

Edit 7 PALH - 29/9/17 Thanks to henry_scott for his kind editing suggestions, which have been noted.

.....................................................................................................................................

Please hit that little star before you go if you enjoyed this chapter and comment if you have time to. It is much appreciated.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

To my fellow Next Big Recognition, I have edited this chapter in light of previous comments from being spotlighted so I hope everyone likes the improvements I have made and the changes, many of which were pointers given to me previously. I tried to take on board all the helpful critique and hopefully this is a much better chapter for it.

I do hope you like the first chapter to my book and enjoy it and hopefully wish to read on. I wish to improve and expand as a writer so all your comments will be gratefully received, as I am currently working my way through the book editing before I move on to my next book in the series. I believe that we never stop learning and I hope your critique will ensure I improve greatly.

This is my first proper foray in to book writing .