152 - The Last Move

I had no idea what on earth she was going on about and I didn't like it. What game was this? Then again, I was dealing with someone who was un-hinged, maybe the best thing was to get away from her as quick as possible.

Instinctively, I felt myself step backwards away from her. "I'm not going to be intimidated by you any more Theodora. Go back into the hole you came out of and stay there. Leave me alone." I said, noticing a shadow cast over the pavement in front of me.

"Honestly Theodora, Athina's not taken in by your nonsense," said Gemma as she appeared bedside me, putting her arm around me. My shoulders relaxed as though a weight had fallen off them, knowing I no longer had to deal with Theodora alone. "And you are not going to be bothering her, Sophia or anyone else again. You will pay for Jarod's death and your other victims!"

It was satisfying to see the grin being wiped off Theodora's face and fear replace it, as Gemma pulled out a gun and two men in black suits appeared either side of her. Theodora held out her wrists as she asked and as the handcuffs were attached, a look of satisfaction filled Gemma's face, like the cat who had got the cream.

Slowly, Theodora raised her eyes up and they were black as she said, "He deserved to die!"

Gemma's hand struck Theodora's face so hard and fast, I gasped as I heard the slap, "That's my son you are talking about!"

I remained stuck to my spot as I watched them. Gemma looked victorious, like a cat who got the cream, as she licked her lips, smiling. Theodora appeared broken, head hung low, as two suits escorted her in handcuffs back to a black van. Just as she reached the door, my left hand felt that same vibration I had felt before. My eyes looked down at my hand and it felt as though it as moving, although it remained still, as the warm hot feeling grew within my palm.

Slowly, I raised my eyes and saw Theodora looking at me. With purpose, she swirled her index finger in circles on her palm. She winked at me and although I had no tangible way of explaining, I was certain she created the vibration I had felt. Theodora, briefly touched her lips with her finger, her eyes looking serious for a moment as if to say, 'it's our secret.'

The questions formed in my head but didn't reach my lips, as Theodora stepped into the van, she turned towards me one last time, a small smile clung to her ruby heart shaped mouth.

"Please, look after my daughter," Theodora's voice was in my head but not one word had left her lips.

My eyes widened in puzzlement, as I felt my head nod in response.

"Tell no one. It's too dangerous to share," said her voice in my head, as I kept my gaze upon her.

Abruptly, the door slammed and the van disappeared from sight at speed; leaving dark tyre marks on the black asphalt.

The tingling stopped and my hand felt normal again. For ages I stood and stared at the space she had been standing, trying to make sense of it all. The irony of the scenario did not escape me, when just a few weeks ago our places were reversed as I stared out of the ambulance with her eyes on me.

Gemma had disappeared and I was alone on the street.

I felt my mobile vibrate and slid the screen to reveal the message.

'Emily delayed on the train. Signal problems. Home now. Is all ok?. When are you coming back? Tony.'

I quickly typed a response. 'I'm on my way home now. Be home soon,' and sent.

Another message appeared. 'Do you need a lift home? Gemma.'

'No thanks, I'll be fine.' I responded.

Going home by my own steam seemed preferable and would give me time to think.

Theodora was captured.

Checkmate. I had won.

The feeling should have made me feel jubilant but it didn't.

There were still questions that weren't answered to my satisfaction. I was going to make sure they were.

One by one.

.................

The End .....for now....but before you go....see below :-)

I wonder if before you go, that you might just click the star below, if you enjoyed the words above, and if you want to share your thoughts, just let it flow :-)

Your feedback inspires me to keep writing and your helpful critique is greatly appreciated and helps me to edit my work as I learn and grow on my journey as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb

Edit 6 - PAL June 2017

The story isn't over and this year I will be working on book 2 and I have several other books sketched out in this series.  

Also please check out my other works, a short novelette chick lick Four Ladybirds, A Tom Tom and Not a Fast Car, my poetry, short stories and interviews with writers big and small on Wattpad.

I am also co-writing with featured writer and friend Heather Coyle known as h_coyle our our joint profile CoyleLieb  a horror story called the Awakening, we would love to have your support and feedback on our joint story the first time we have co-written.

Special thanks to but not exclusive to:

ChayAvalerias

 linahanson 

anupamarc

 h_coyle 

monrosey 

OwainGlyn 

ShauanAllan

DawnStarling

henry_scott

LaDameBlanche

The3dreamers

moudenes

For their friendship which is worth its weight in gold, as friends are the family you choose, guidance,  mentoring, answering my annoying questions at times and beta reading and steering me hopefully in the right direction.

With much love :-)