013: ꜱᴀꜰᴇ ꜰᴏʀ ɴᴏᴡ

●~●~●~●~●

Killing walkers became a chore. Raiding houses, routine. Days repetitive. 

Sami knew English pretty well, now, having been studying almost non-stop for six or so months. Danny now could communicate without his board, mostly, with the people who tried to learn, having his own ASL book. 

Rachel, Carl and Danny had guns, hardly batting an eye at killing walkers. Though in the bottom of his bag, Danny had a notebook filled with prayers for them. 

Sophie was quite, hardly speaking, always writing in her own notebook, only talking to Taylor. Taylor hated Rick, but was okay, mostly. She was comfortably with the group.

And Lori's baby was almost here. Any day, now. And they had nowhere comfortable for her.

After too many walkers showed up, they left a house and were now gathered by the cars on a road, mapping out where to go next, surrounded by herds. Rick hadn't let them leave the local area, so they were pretty stuck, and running out of supplies.

Sami leaned against the car, pushing his hair out of his face. While everyone else's hair and beards were getting long, Sami still couldn't grow a beard for the life of him, and had been secretly cutting his hair with his knife and pretending it just didn't grow. 

"Hey!" Daryl called him, from where he was loading his crossbow. "While the others all go and wash their panties, let's go hunt."

"How many times-"

"Yeah, you don't like it. Come on." He walked into the bushes.

Sami sighed, and followed.

The bushes were thick, overgrown. A branch Daryl pushed out of his way was deliberately hit into Sami's face, cutting his cheek.

He got on well with Daryl. He had since the start of being on the road, really. He wanted to know how to hunt so he could help with food, but hated it. He was really good at it, though. He always got clean kills, only killed larger animals, things that would actually fill them. It was like his determination to honor the animal made him better at hunting in general.

But they didn't find any animals, walking along a track, and coming across a prison, with tall, barbed fences, walkers stumbling within.

"That's a shame." Daryl muttered, continuing on.

But Sami stopped, looking at the guard towers, the concrete building itself. 

He looked at Daryl. "I could take them."

"On your own, maybe. But you say that to the group, you'll have to watch their asses, too."

"Time to watch asses, then." 

He hurried back, telling the group, Rick coming up with a plan to take the place on the way there, taking wire cutters.

They were quiet, cutting the fence and climbing in, taking out the walkers too close, in a matter of a minute, Glenn wiring it shut as soon as everyone was in. 

There was a walkway between the courtyard and the outside fence, meaning they were safe there, walkers from inside pressing against the fence as they saw them.

The group followed Daryl and Sami to the closest guard tower, which was by the main gate.

"It's perfect." Rick looked around, the ghost of a smile on his face as he looked at the gate to the actual prison. "If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we could take out these walkers. We could take the field tonight."