063: ɪ ᴡᴀꜱ ʙᴏʀɴ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ

●~●~●~●~●

Other than the muffled explosions from above, the the odd small piece of rock or dust falling to the ground, the tunnels stayed quiet, aside from Carl's ragged breaths.

"I  . . . I don't . . . " Rick tried to make sense of it.

"Dad."

"How . . ."

"Dad, don't. It'll be okay. It's gonna be. I wasn't sure if you'd make it back before . . . but, just in case, you know . . . " Carl took several notes out of his pocket, the one at the top reading 'Dad'. "I wanted to make sure I was able to say goodbye."

Rick shook his head. "No. No, it's them . . . they don't . . . they haven't . . . "

"Carl." Michonne cried. "No."

Sami blinked away his own tears, lifting the hand that wasn't holding Carl's to take the notes.  

"I got bit." Carl looked at them, stopping himself from crying. "I was bringing someone back. His name's Siddiq. Dad, we saw him at that gas station, before . . . it wasn't the Saviors. It just happened. I got bit."

Sami wasn't sure what to say. All he'd ever wanted with his father was a few more words. But now that he knew what was to happen, he didn't have them. What do you choose as your last words to someone? 

"We should get you more comfortable." Sami said, looking at the bed Carl had made up for Siddiq.

In a joined effort, they got him laying down on the bed, despite his grunts and groans. He was even paler, now. Grey and sweaty. His clammy hand still holding Sami's.

Rachel was sitting with Daryl and Judith behind them, watching. She couldn't speak. She didn't know why. It was like something was holding her mouth shut. But she could still feel. And it felt like all her emotions were all over her body.

"I-I, uh, I got these." Siddiq, a shakily, frail man avoided Sami, Rick and Michonne's eyes as they looked at him, holding out a bag of pills. "They're over the counter, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. They'll, um. They'll help a little with the fever. They did with my mom and dad. Please take them. Your son . . . he should have them."

Sami felt strange about the man. If he didn't exist, Carl wouldn't be bitten. But he pushed the feelings aside, and took the pills.

"Your a doctor?" Rick asked. 

"I was a resident before . . . yeah."

"Your names Siddiq?"

"Yes."

"Did you know he was a doctor?" Rick looked at Carl. "Is that why you brought him back?"

Sami shook his head. "Of course he didn't, Rick. He's Carl. Siddiq needed us."

Carl nodded. "He wasn't going to make it . . . on his own. That's why."

Rick looked at him. "He was the one at the gas station."

There was a bang, much louder than the others, sending sand and small piece of rock towards Carl, Rick leaning over him to try cover him, but he coughed anyway.

A flurry of weak, unstoppable coughs followed after.

"Drink some water." Sami grabbed a bottle from nearby, unscrewing the cap. "Just a bit, Carl, get it down."

As Sami held Carl's head, helping him drink and not choke, Michonne got to her feet, slamming Dwight against the wall.

"Make it stop! Make them stop."