059: ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴄᴏɴᴛʀᴏʟꜱ ᴜꜱ, ɴᴏᴛ ꜰᴜʀʏ

●~●~●~●~●

They buried their dead, and went to war.

They studied the guards the Saviors had spread across the lands between the three communities. From single people on a street to entire outposts in apartment buildings, they knew it all. 

They organized how to take them out, isolate the Sanctuary, find a way to make Negan think he was winning only to kill him.

It took weeks. But they did it.

"Forty minutes." Gabriel walked up to Sami, rifle over his shoulder. "Everyone's ready."

Cars lined up to the gates of Alexandria, metal fused onto the sides to make walls, all coordinated.  It should work. But Sami still felt a horrific sense of dread in his stomach. He knew not everyone would be okay.

"Are you?" Gabriel asked.

Sami shrugged, holding his rosary bead cross in his hand. "Considering not all of us are going to make it out alive, no. But, it has to end."

Gabriel nodded. "But, most of us will survive. And those who don't . . . I know you'll make it a worthy sacrifice."

He shook his head. "I don't think sacrifices can be worthy, Gabe."

He saw Judith sitting on the ground nearby, drawing with chalk over the road. 

"Say your goodbyes. We have time." Gabriel said.

He nodded, and made his way over to Judith.

"Hey, cariño." Sami sat on the ground beside her, dull aches still in his body, but he was used to them, now. 

She looked at him, smiling, and held up her chalk proudly.

"Yeah, I love those big chalks. Little ones always made me cut my fingers." He said. "Hey, Jude? After this, I'll look after you like I promised your mother I would, okay?"

He knew she didn't understand him, but said it anyway.

"I'm sorry. I've really neglected you and Danny and Rachel and your brother." He sighed, looking over the community. "This place has just be shit show after shit show. But we'll make it work this time, okay? And I'll get better."

"Bebber." She muttered, scribbling harshly on the ground. 

"Yep." He kissed the top of her head, and got to his feet. "I'll see you soon."

She waved at him, and he waved back, before heading over to the others. 

He made his way over to the cars, and Carl hugged him almost instantly.

"You'll do well, protecting this place." Sami said, hugging him back, resting his head atop Carl's and realizing how tall he'd gotten. "Your show."

Carl nodded, pulling back. "I'll make you proud."

"Carl, you don't need to." He tapped his hat. "You're one of the most magnificent people I've ever met. You can't make me any more proud."

Carl smiled, as Michonne walked over, hugging Sami carefully. She had been beaten almost to a pulp by one of Trashcan Carla's people, so had been healing for the past few weeks. Still, she hurt. 

"If I'm not going, neither should you." She said, pulling away. "You look worse than me."

"I'm fine." He lied. His muscles felt like they were on fire, constantly. Almost any movement just made it worse. But he wasn't about to tell anyone that. He needed to fight. He couldn't just instruct them to go and sit back and wait.