098: ᴛʜᴇ ʙɪɢ ᴛᴏᴘ ᴛᴇɴᴛ ᴜᴘ ʜɪɢʜ

●~●~●~●~●

They managed to get out of the main cavern, hoping from rock to rock to get to the edge of the cavern before climbing up the wall. Kelly hurt her foot, but other than that they made it through rather easily, now winding through the various caverns, caves and honestly just cracks in the walls to try and find a way out.

Rachel hated it. It felt so tight, so squished. She didn't like the thought that somewhere in the darkness, there could be whisperers. Watching them. 

She also hated the thought of what was happening at home. Was Alpha planning an attack, now? Of course she was, they broke her rules. Blatantly. 

If they had of stuck to the plan - checked out the herd, then looked for Lydia, they would be fine. Alpha would've been close, but wouldn't have known they were there. Maybe she'd have worked it out, but they'd be gone.

Thanks to Carol, they were stuck in the caves. Rachel found a sick satisfaction at the sight of Carol beginning to freak out. She was claustrophobic. Rachel wasn't sure how she knew it , but she did. Maybe she said it at some point.

Magna was the one to bring it up.

"She's claustrophobic." Daryl told them, from down some narrow passage. He'd gone ahead a little, looking for a while out, and Rachel was standing close by. She didn't want to be on her own in here.

"Why didn't you think of that?" Magna panted. 'Before you got us all trapped down here."

"Hey," Aaron looked at her. "It's not the time for that."

"Why not? Seems we have plenty of it." She walked closer to Carol, putting her face to hers. "What the hell were you thinking, huh? Running off like that by yourself."

"Hey!" Daryl reappeared, making Rachel feel a slight bit better. "We ain't got time for this shit. We got into this mess together, now we're going to get out of it together, now follow me. I think I found a way out."

Rachel was the first to follow him into the dark, the others following, Connie bringing the burning walker arm she was using as a torch.

It felt that the caves went on forever and ever and ever. Rachel stuck close to Daryl, but felt she could lose him any second. But soon, the cave opened into a larger cavern, water dripping from the ceiling, and he ordered a break.

Rachel sat curled in a corner. She felt like shit. She wasn't sure if it was just physical or mental. Probably all mental.

After talking with Carol, Daryl got up from his spot nearby and sat beside Rachel.

"You good?" He asked, after a few minutes of silence.

She didn't say anything. She wasn't sure if it was that she couldn't or wouldn't. But she knew the answer.

She felt horrible. How dare she put Siddiq's entire life down to Carl? He was so much more than just an extension of Carl, yet Rachel felt like she'd lost a piece of him. Like nothing mattered. 

She was reminded of how she felt when Noah died. How it felt that Beth's death meant nothing. She died to save Noah, yet he died. 

It made her wonder if anything was really worth it. All that happened, over and over, was that people died saving people, and then died themselves. Beth died saving Noah, and now their both dead. Carl died saving Siddiq, and now their both dead. How long would it be before Sami tried to save someone, and then they both died? Until Danny tried to save someone, and they both died? Until Daryl tried?

But she didn't say any of this. She just stayed quiet.

"I know." Daryl grunted. "But you gotta speak at some point."