054: ꜱᴀɴᴄᴛᴜᴀʀʏ

●~●~●~●~●

Danny liked the woods.

He knew things out there. He knew how walkers worked. He knew people were bad. He knew how to fight.

Sami was busy. And worried. So, Danny said he could go to Hilltop to make sure Maggie was okay, open a line of communication. Sami agreed. but then said he'd drive him up when Rick got back from his run. Which Danny didn't like.

So, he packed a bag. He needed to do something.

And now, he was outside the walls, making his way to Hilltop.

Maggie and Sasha were there. He needed to know how things were there. What was happening. Where Daryl was.

He came out onto a road, and looked up at the sun. If it was that way, and she left an hour ago-

He felt something on his right, and looked at a gas station, a walker stumbling towards a live person.

Enid.

Danny sighed. He hated people.

He pulled out his knife, walking over, and stabbing the walker in the back of the head.

Enid stood there for a moment, looking at him.

"Go home." He signed, and continued walking down the street.

"No. I'm going to help Maggie." Enid followed him. "Once I work out where I am."

"I'm going to Hilltop. You go home."

"No." Enid walked alongside him. She wasn't that much older than Danny. Or Danny didn't feel like she was. 

They walked in silence for a bit, before she spoke.

"Do you think he watched it? Your brother? Glenn and Abraham?"

Danny read her lips. "Yeah. He does it out of respect. For the people dying. And so that he remembers why he needs to kill people."

"I think I'd kill him." Enid said. "It's messed up, but . . . it's how it is. You do things for the ones you love. Loved."

Danny wasn't friends with Enid. She was Carl's friend. Carl was Danny's friend. Danny had hardly spoken to her.

"You avenge the ones who died for yourself. Protect the ones live for them."

She nodded. "Do you miss them?"

"Of course. I miss a lot of people. I just focus on other stuff."

The trip to Hilltop took a good few hours. Danny didn't speak much to Enid. She couldn't do sign, though she understood it, so he had to read her lips, and it was hard to do while walking. But when they reached the trees around Hilltop, they saw trucks outside, men milling around.

"No Negan." Danny said, watching. 

He'd come here for Maggie, for Sami. But now that he was watching the trucks, and idea sparked in his mind. He could find where the Saviors live. Find a way to defeat them from the inside. Or even just knowing where they were helped.

"Danny." Enid tapped his arm, making her look at him. "Don't. It'd be for you."

"Not to kill him." He shook his head. "Just to find out where he is. It'll give us a leg up."

"I don't think you should." She stepped back. "But I won't stop you. But you need to stay alive for your brother."

"Make sure Maggie and that are okay."