097: ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴀɴᴛꜱ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴠᴇ ꜰᴏʀᴇᴠᴇʀ

●~●~●~●~●

Some people from Hilltop also came for Siddiq's funeral. Even Taylor and Sophie had come from Oceanside.

Rachel was there - clean and in new clothes, her usual coat on, ready to go with Daryl and a few others, looking for Lydia and scouting out Alpha's horde. A Whisperer Aaron trusted had said where she kept it after seeing Lydia, who ran off. Carol brought her out and didn't seem to care she was gone. 

Sami wanted to go, too. But he couldn't. Gabriel said the people needed him. Rosita needed him, too. 

"I can't believe he's gone. I . . . Never mind." Ezekiel spoke to Sami after the funeral as the people dispersed.

Sami stood beside him, looking at Rosita by the grave, holding Coco in his arms. "What?"

"He's one of those people I thought would live forever. Not really, but  you know."

Sami had never heard anyone say it. He'd felt that way. With so many people. Beth and Hershel Greene. Siddiq. Papa. Carl. Tara. Enid. Rick Grimes. 

"Too many things are changing." Ezekiel continued. "He, uh . . . knew, too."

Sami glanced at him. "You tell Carol yet?"

"Nah, man. It's hard. You're . . . you're easy to talk to. Always have been. Feel I could tell you anything."

Sami was glad for that. He always wanted to feel approachable. But it didn't really make him feel better. 

"I'm sure your child will be the same." He smiled at Coco on her father's arm. "She's magnificent."

"I know." Sami smiled at her, too. "I'm glad you got to meet her."

"Me, too."

No one else spoke to him. They all just gave him that look. 

He said goodbye to the group, hugging Rachel. 

"I know why you did it." He said as he pulled away from the hug, thinking of Dante. "Just can't let it consume you."

She nodded, but didn't say anything. She hadn't, according to Daryl, since the day before. Just like when Carl died.

Sami put Coco down for a sleep, and was in the kitchen, cleaning up her bottle when the door opened.

"Rosi?" He glanced behind him, seeing her walking over to him. "I was wondering where you went."

She stood behind him, standing by the island, and Sami noticed the blood splattered all over her. She wouldn't look at him, facing somewhere to his right. "I was helping Eugene with some walkers by the gates. How's sweet pea?"

"Fast asleep, fully fed and watered." He put the bottle on the draining board and turned, leaning against the counter to look her her, waiting. He felt like a therapist.

She caved instantly. "You know, that wasn't the truth. I wasn't helping Eugene. He was helping me."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I just . . . I just . . . " She sat on the island, looking away from him again. "I should be able to handle walkers like that. I always could before."

He tried to think of something to say, but every time Dante came into his mind-

Open your eyes.

Screams. 

Warm blood.

He shook the thoughts from his head. "You're probably exhausted, you didn't sleep, among . . . everything."