081: ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴀɪʀ

●~●~●~●~●

Rachel didn't have many bad cuts, but Danny had a large gash on his arm. He got it stitched up at Alexandria, by one of the nurses. 

Apparently, Sami wasn't there. He'd left with Rosita and a few others to the Kingdom for the fair, which they'd finally agreed to go to. 

"He's . . . he's got some news." Michonne smiled, and honestly it had been a while since Danny saw her smile. "Good news. Apparently. He hasn't told me yet."

Danny wasn't sure what that meant, and didn't get to ask, because Rachel had been watching Lydia stroke the stitches on Henry's leg and felt sick, so he slapped Danny's stitches, making him hiss and her laugh.

But honestly, she was just trying to avoid Daryl, since he was pissed. But he found her, sitting down by the water with Judith. 

"Why'd you go?" He asked, for what felt like the fiftieth time.

She shrugged. Again. "I told you, I don't know. I just . . . worked out Henry was gone, and left. Danny saw me and came with me."

He didn't like it. She didn't know? She just had the worst reaction possible to something, and didn't know why? She could've died, and she didn't even have a good reason.

"Did ya wanna help him?" He asked, as she leaned down on her stomach, putting her hand in the water. "Henry?"

She shrugged.

"You like him or somethin'? Like Lydia?"

"No."

"You sure?"

"Yes, Daryl, I'm sure. Can hardly stand that pair, honestly."

She was confused as to why he wasn't angry at her. It was a stupid thing to do. And she didn't know why she did it. She had bruises all over her back from being slammed into the wall, thick bruises around her neck. He should be livid.

But he just sat there, quietly. Not asking anything else.

Before they left that night, Rachel said goodbye to Carl's grave. Then they were gone.

"Daryl pissed at you?" Danny handed a new notebook to Rachel, a few hours into their trip to the Kingdom. He'd taken it from Sami's bedroom.

Rachel shook her head. "Just confused."

Danny wondered if Sami would be pissed at him. Probably not. Sami never really got pissed off at him. He usually just told him calmly shit was stupid to do and to try learn.

They saw Michonne's carriage ride up to a stop on the road beside them, her grinning inside. 

"Anyone need a ride to Kingdom?" Judith asked.

As they climbed in, Danny wrote in his notebook. 'You owe me a cherry or some shit."

"I never said she'd never show up. I just said she might not." Rachel climbed in to sit beside him.

He underlined his previous note.

"Fine. I'll find you something at the fair."

"If they have knitted teddies, you gotta work shit up for that. I need one.'

"I am not getting you a teddy. You're . . . what, 19? 20?"

"Maggie's in her 30s and still has Nico. I hope. She took him with her, anyway."

●~●~●~●~●

"I stand before you today at the start of a new tomorrow." Ezekiel spoke to the crowd, leaning on the rails of the balcony above the post theater. "A tomorrow made possible by the sacrifices of many over the years. Among them, a man whose mission was to build community and strengthen the bonds between us."