079: ʟᴇᴀᴠɪɴɢ

●~●~●~●~●

A rapid knocking at the door woke him, and Sami shot up. 

His shirt was gone, leg off, blanket over him. So, he stood, half awake, and grabbed his walking stick, making his way downstairs.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" 

He opened the door, wiping his eyes, afraid something terrible had happened.

"Oh, Eugene. It's just you."

Eugene pushed past him and into the house.

"Yeah. Yeah, come on in." Sami said sarcastically, as he shut his door and went after him into the kitchen, watching Eugene spread a large scroll out on the table, as he grabbed a shirt from the washing basket by his stairs. "What is that?"

"In this first chart, the left column enumerates many of the positive and negative aspects of staying with Rosita while she raises your prodigy. In the right column, I've assigned each of these with a corresponding positive or negative numeric value. Then, on chart number two . . ."

Sami watched, pulling his shirt on over his head as Eugene took another rolled up piece of paper out from under the other one, laying it flat.

"I've taken the numeric values from chart one and estimated their impact over time. While there is some instability in the first few years, happiness shows a definitive growth pattern when projected over the long term."

Sami lowered himself into one of the chairs, since he still didn't have his prosthetic and his other leg would just end up hurting, and wiped his eye, yawning. ". . . Wow."

Eugene slammed a book down on the table, making him jump. "I have also brought my scoring rubric and evaluative criteria, if that would be helpful."

"Scoring rubric? Isn't that a vegetable?" Sami waved his hand. "I'm getting distracted. Thanks, Eugene. I guess."

Eugene looked at him, a rather sad look on his face. "Can I give you some advice?"

It took a moment for him to answer. "Okay."

"You'd be a damn fool to let her go."

Sami woke up properly, now, and looked up at him. Let her go? When was that in anyone's mind?

"Listen, we've been through the strew, me and you. Even though we weren't doin' well at the start, you've always had my back, and for that I applaud you. But now, you need a foot up your ass. Rosita is the best thing to ever happen to you since this whole shit storm started, so you do well to ponder long and hard about this before tossing the literal baby out with the preverbal bath water."

Sami sat up, looking at him. "Sit down, Eugene. I feel stupid down here."

Eugene did as he said. "You are stupid."

"Thanks." Sami sighed. "Rosita and I's relationship is one thing, the baby is another, alright? One isn't going to influence the other, if we're smart."

"Listen to me. I'll admit, I fully understand wantin' to dip your toes in Sami land-"

"I'm sorry?"

"But I don't understand why she'd want to stay with you. Yet still, Rosita loves you. No one else. Certainly not yours truly, despite my being entirely head over hammertoes in love with her."

Sami raised his eyebrow, but Eugene seemed to wrapped up in his own words to notice.

"So, you need to get over yourself. Over your fear for what is to happen when this baby spawns in, because you both love each other. So stop wasting time. Because it's all we have in the end."