095: ʙʀɪɴɢ ɪᴛ ʙᴀᴄᴋ

MENTIONS OF SELF HARM

●~●~●~●~●

Sami put Coco down to sleep in his room, Rosita watching.

"So, jam and bread didn't work?"

He shook his head. Carol tried Lydia's idea, first. Show the Whisperer what life could be. That it could survive. She brough him jam and bread.

He spit it back in her face.

Sami sighed, walking over to Rosita, doing all the checks that Siddiq taught him to do for her. 

"Am I okay?" She asked, as Sami helped her lay back on her back.

"Yeah." He sat on the side of the bed, looking at her hands as she took his. "Bit ghost-like, and sleepy."

"Still look good though." She chuckled.

"Yeah." He smiled lightly, but it didn't reach his eyes, as he looked back at her hand. 

She sat up, taking her hand from him and lifting the covers. "Come here. You didn't sleep. Have a little rest."

He didn't want to. He didn't want to hurt her again. But he wasn't going to just say no. Then she'd wonder why. 

So, he sat beside her, glad to be on her side of the bed instead of his, so the gash on his side wasn't leaned on, as she lay her head on his shoulder, taking his hand as he put his arm over her shoulders, and she traced the scars over his hands. 

"I've been thinking . . . about Eugene."

"Please don't break up with me, not now."

She chuckled. "No. I just . . . I set a date for us to talk, and I missed it. I don't want him to think I was dissing him or anything."

"He won't. He's Eugene, I'll talk to him if I hear him."

She looked up at him. "How's Coco?"

"She's loving ordering people around." He chuckled lightly, as she did the same. "She, uh, loves the water. I've started sitting on the . . . jetty, walkway thing. She sits in front of me. I have a serious hold on her, but she . . . she's fine. She sits there, looks around."

Rosita looked up at him, smiling. "We've got a kid together, Sami. I mean . . . crazy when you think about it."

"Yeah." He smiled. "Like when you think of you, in that barn  . . . ' His breath hitched, making her look at him. "Before we got here. And you pretended to have spiders in your hair."

She laughed. "Oh, be quiet."

"No, but seriously. Imagine telling those two they'd have a kid together. Named Coco."

"Socorro, actually." 

"We both know we're never going to use that."

She was quiet for a minute. "I never thought I was gonna be a Mami in this world."

"I never thought I'd be a Papi. Now, anyway. Always wanted to be one when I was little. But  . . . not a husband. That was never really a want."

"Oh, really?" She chuckled, looking up at him. "I feel very wanted."

"Oh, Rosi." He laughed. "We're not married, you're safe."

She smiled, looking up at him. "She's really lucky to have you. We both are."

He knew they weren't. They both deserved better than him in general. But now - with him hurting himself in his sleep? Waking up in the woods? 

They deserved someone strong. Someone brave. Someone who protects. Not him.