071: ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴊᴜꜱᴛɪᴄᴇ ɪꜱ ɢᴏɴᴇ

●~●~●~●~●

They began working on the bridge not long after that.

They set up camp by the bridge, and Sami loved it. It reminded him of Scout camps. He'd sit by the fire until late at night, just enjoying the smell of the woods in the cool air, and the warm feeling of the fire on his skin, until Rosita would often come out of their tent wrapped in a blanket and complain that he's going to struggle to get up anyway, so he'd finally go to bed.

And she was right, of course. Since Negan was locked up, he'd slowly managed to sleep like normal again. His nights were plagued by nightmares, but in the early hours of the morning he'd be awake, but just barely. On the edge of sleep, not quite aware of his consciousness. He'd turned over and snuggle into the blankets or Rosita closer, whichever he found first, and stay on the edge of sleep, barely aware of the small kisses he left on her shoulders.

And during the day, he adored that, too. So many people together, working hard. The Saviors were annoying, yeah, but Daryl was there. And Aaron, and Rick, Jerry, Carol, Ezekiel, heaps more. Nature and his people were his favorite things, so he was happy.

Danny would visit, often with supplies from Hilltop. He was really enjoying his role there, almost as Maggie's right hand man. He felt older. Responsible. But he missed Carl, so spend most of his time with Enid, too. 

Taylor and Sophie, who Sami hardly saw in the past year, were usually at Alexandria. They kept things running, though didn't lead it. Just made sure it ran smoothly. While Rachel was at the camps, much more in her element than Sami had ever seen her.

Sami sat by the armory, Rosita inside counting guns. He had his notebook out, writing things down at the lookouts told him through the radio.

"So, best to keep noise down here, then." Sami said into the walkie, as the news that a herd, named 'Horatio', would be passing quite close by. He wasn't sure who came up with the idea to treat it almost like storms, but he liked it. It was much easier to keep track.

"That's what I'm thinking." The voice of Billie, their lookout said. "make sure to spread the word. Over and out."

Sami put the walkie back to his hip, checking the sun to see the time, and writing down the last update on the herd, as he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"We gonna be good?" Rosita asked, crouching on the step beside him. 

"Yeah. Yeah, should be. Just can't have any yelling, need to keep out voices down." He looked up, spotting Rick walking with Eugene. He kissed her cheek, and stood. "I'll be back. And take one of my shirts, you're going to freeze your ass off in a vest."

"if you weren't you, I'd say you're possessive."

"Oh, har har." Sami smiled at her, before walking over to Rick. "Hey, Rickulous, got Horatio nearby, but should pass us by. Just should try keep the noise down, just in case."

"We got a head count?" Rick asked, as they fell into step. 

"Over 100. I was thinking we should push the blasting, just in case, but then you've got Margret on the otherside, probably up at . . . pfft, what now?"

"Would be about five times as big." Rick stopped, turning to look at him. "We got the sirens in place?"

"Yeah, Rosi organized them yesterday."

"Then we'll blow the rock slide. Herd comes, we'll redirect."

Sami nodded. "I'll fill them in."

"Anything on those walk offs?" Rick looked at Eugene.