067: ʟɪᴍɪᴛꜱ

●~●~●~●~●

When he awoke, the sun had risen.

It was shining through a window above him, onto his face.

He could hear voices. Quiet. Soft. A bird chirped outside.

For the first time since the world ended, he thought he was at home, from before. He thought he was in his bed, upstairs to his house. He thought his rabbits were probably pissed at him for waking up late. He thought the voices were the mother and son who lived next door. Sometimes the boy, Javi, hit his toy ball into Sami's garden, and he'd told them to just go in and get it after the fifth time. That they could come and go from his garden as they pleased, since it wasn't much of one yet. Just make sure they shut the gate so the rabbits didn't escape.

He thought he could hear the ocean, smell it. It wasn't that close to his house, but it was close enough that it was always on the air, there was always a bit of sand in your shoes and on the road.

But then he opened his eyes. He didn't see his gray bedroom walls, or the movie posters upon them. He didn't see the photos of his father and his friends up on the wall. He didn't see his rosary beads hanging from his headboard.

He saw a stale, metal grey wall, with gray blinds shining the sun directly into his eyes.

The only thing he felt comfort in was the knitted blanket over his body, and the sleeping form of Danny, sitting on the ground beside the bed, head against the wall.

Sami pulled himself to sit up, ignoring the drossiness that made his eyes and brain swim, hissing at the pain of his right leg under the covers.

He saw Carol on his right, back to him, sitting on the edge of Tobin's bed, talking to him. He saw a lot of people, through the door nearby, only his bed, Tobin and a sleeping mans in this room, while the other room was filled with people, coughing, three people trying to help, Siddiq included.

He wondered who found him, and brought him here, to the infirmary. 

He fell back to sleep at some point. When he woke again, he was in the same spot, but it was dark. 

He sat up. He didn't want to go back to sleep. 

Around the room, more people where here, now, and Danny was gone, though a glass of water with a note atop of it sat where he had been.

'Sorry. Maggie said I should sleep inside so I don't disturb you and the rest of the injured. I hope you sleep through the night. I don't want you alone when you see.'

When he saw? When he saw what?

He looked around the room. Maybe someone had died. He thought of it. Carl was alive. Tobin was, though Sami couldn't see him in the darkness. Maggie and Danny were. But he didn't know if anyone else was. Rosita. Rick. 

He'd just get up and check. 

But he was so tired, he didn't want to. And his leg felt weird, probably the painkillers wearing off. He sat there for a moment, and sleep took him once more. 

When he woke, it was to a sound. 

His neck hurt, due to falling asleep sitting up, but there was a wet, squelching sound coming from nearby.

He was in with the injured. 

Who's the say they'd all survive the night?

He saw a shadow by the open door, stumbling outside. 

Sami turned, pulling off his blanket as he did, and went to stand, but froze. 

He looked at his leg. Or, where his leg should have been. Instead, there was just a stump, bandage wrapped around it.