078: ʙᴀʙʏ ᴍɪɴᴇ

●~●~●~●~●

Rosita told them the walkers were evolving. Or something along those lines. Something was happening, anyway.

They had tracked them. Not only was a horde following them, but it kept turning, ignoring distractions, and Rosita even heard them talking at one point. 

Michonne insisted on going out. Sami wanted to go with her, but also selfishly wanted to stay with Rosita. Michonne understood, saying he'd probably end up getting killed in his rush to get back to Hilltop, and went with a few others.

Sami helped work out a few search parties, in duos, to look, but had them on a much tighter schedule, so they definitely knew if anything was wrong, since Michonne still wasn't back early that morning. And if they found anything, they still came back on time and informed them.

He also found out that Danny snuck out of the walls, and was now being held in the basement, which was turned into a cellblock, for getting drunk and stumbling into the wall of the house over and over. But Michonne and the others returned soon, and that put off Sami's conversation with him. 

He saw the group walk in, Dog with them. Daryl, Eugene, Aaron, Yumiko, Michonne, Magna. A girl bound and blindfolded on the back of one horse. And a body laying on the final horse.

Jesus.

Sami watched them take his body off the horse, his face grey.

How was he dead? It was only walkers. 

But it wasn't only walkers. According to Rachel, it was humans, wearing walker skin masks to hide among them. 

They went downstairs to interrogate the girl they brought back, but Daryl stopped Sami from following.

"Nah, man." Daryl shook his head. "You won't get shit out of her."

"What's that mean?"

He just walked down the steps. "Watch Rachel."

Rachel followed Sami into the infirmary to check of Eugene, and grabbed a knife while she was there. Her hair was covered in blood. When Jesus was stabbed, her was pushed into her, knocking her to the ground. His blood seeping into her hair. It was matted together.

She sat by a bin, ignoring Eugene's cries, pleas and biting on the other side of the room as Siddiq, Rosita and Sami tried to fix his broken leg, and she began cutting. And cutting. And cutting. Her hair must be clean. It had to be clean. Why wasn't it clean?

"I apologize for the attempted bites and scratches." Eugene said, as Sami stood on one side of his bed, behind Rosita, looking up to watch Rachel cutting her hair on the other side of the room. "Involuntary pain responses and whatnot."

"It's alright. I'm gonna go grab a bandage. A few weeks of moderate compression, and you'll be good as new. You both will." Siddiq walked off, and as he passed Rachel, she tried not to look at him. Being away from people made them annoying, yeah. But all she could see when she looked at Siddiq was Carl that night in the sewers. 

"I'm gonna go get you some water." Rosita stood, feeling much better today than she had last night.

"Wait, can . . . can Sami get it?" Eugene asked.

Sami nodded, kissing the top of Rosita's head. "I'll be back."

Sami felt sick, but it was just like always. He had to push forward. Jesus wouldn't want people getting hurt because Sami's too hung up on his death. But he felt horrible. He should sit in a corner and cry, curled in a ball. That's what he wanted to do. But he couldn't. He had to look after people. Or the feelings would just swallow him whole.