106: ᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴏ ᴅᴏᴇꜱ ᴏᴜʀ ʟɪᴠᴇꜱ

●~●~●~●~●

First, the walkers stumbled into Eugene's wire trap. It was held around neck level by a dozen or so wooden poles, and was electrically charged by car batteries, set up by Eugene and Rosita. This meant that it decapitated walkers on impact as they stumbled towards it. 

But it also meant that once too many walkers hit into it, it would overcharge and cut out. The same thing would happen if a walker taller than the line hit into it, causing a continuous flow along with the decapitations. 

So, though it took a dozen or so out from the very front, and then slowed the others role, once they bunched up against it, there was a loud bang, and sparks flew up into the air from where the batteries were stored, and the wires fell, walkers with it, more stumbling over them. 

So, everyone pulled out their weapons.

The walkers, guided by the whisperers, then split into two groups as they made their way towards the bramble and barb wire wall they'd made, which Sami cursed himself for not thinking of. 

This meant that the Hilltop's hand to hand fighters were split up, less on each walker, and it also meant that the walkers were going to bunch up, which would just be chaos until it broke down the wall.

The fighters split on Aaron's orders, and the archers readied themselves as they were left the last line standing. 

Daryl and Sami weren't in formation, neither ever wanted to be. they fought better just seeing what was happening and reacting. Being ordered around and put in places made it too confusing. 

The arrows flew, and the fighters reached the wall.

Daryl's new weapon proved brilliant, but almost hit Sami if he didn't back away when Daryl got close. As for Sami, he had his usual machete and knife, stabbing with his knife and slicing with the machete. Danny had a spear, which he tried to do as Sami did, and stab multiple heads at once, which was proving effective.

There was a familiar, hopeful feeling that rose in everyone's chest, as they realized they were just walkers and people. But the rational side was still hopeless. Like the body and mind were arguing throughout the battle. 

Look! We've killed another! You keep killing them, good job!

Look how many are to come, you stupid fucking idiot. They won't stop.

They will if you keep fighting!

Meanwhile, you're stuck in the middle just thinking of stabbing and slicing. Like when parents arguing before divorce.

But the rational side was winning quickly. Arms began to ache. Heads got harder and harder to get through. Fingers lost grip on weapons. Hair began to get stuck to sweaty faces. Yet each walker was just as hard to kill as the last - or easy, depending on how you look at it.

And through it all, the fence creaked, as if taunting them. No matter how hard they were going to fight, it was still going to break before the walkers were dead. Each creak felt like a laugh. 

Sinead and Beta were the ones organizing the catapults, if you could call them that. They were the ones to give the orders to load. To pull it back. To shoot.

The sacks burst all along the wall, covering the fighters of Hilltop and the walkers in a thick, gooey liquid. Danny found himself beside Lydia, automatically using his own body to shield her from whatever the substance was. 

Sami was the one to realize what it was. 

The smell of the liquid reminded him of being a young boy. He didn't like other people much, in school at least, so lunches and after school he often climbed trees to be away from people. He'd carve initals of who knows into the tree just for fun, and sometimes heard people talking about them, trying to work out who 'N+C' were, though they were made up people.