You Are Trying To Sleep But He Keeps Talking

"Don't you have to be up at like, six?" he asks in the direction of your tired, blinking eyes.

"Yes."

"Why aren't you sleeping?"

"Because you won't stop talking."

"Oh. Sorry."

"It's okay."

"Goodnight, baby."

"Goodnight."

"I love you."

"Love you too." A few moments pass, in which you feel yourself rapidly falling asleep, until his voice breaks the silence again.

"I really do, you know." You sigh, peeling your eyes open again. All you can really see of him is his hair, and his arms stretched out as he rests his head on his hands.

"You really do what, Harry?" He turns his head towards you.

"Love you." You smile sleepily, reaching out and touching what you think is his cheek (you prove to be right when he smiles and you feel his skin shift beneath your fingers).

"And I really love you." Your eyes drift back shut as he takes your hand and holds it to his mouth for him to kiss your palm.

"How much?"

"Huh?"

"How much do you love me?" You shift, curling up tighter on your side and you tuck your hands under your cheek.

"Enough that I'm choosing not to strangle you to death for keeping me awake."

"Oh," he chuckles softly. "Sorry. Night, love."

"Goodnight."

......

"What do you think about a summer wedding?" You huff as sleep once again evades you.

"Harry, come on-"

"Okay, I know, I know, you're sleepy, but I just want to know." You take a deep breath, fighting to roll over onto your other side. You weren't even engaged and he's talking about weddings. "I just always thought I'd get married when it's really sunny."

"We can get married whenever you want, but I need to sleep."

"Well," he follows you, rolling onto his side and shifting up behind you. "It can't just be my choice. You have to put in your side too."

"Harry..."

"Alright, alright. Fine." His arm drapes heavily over your waist. "We'll talk about it another time."

............

"I like winter."

"Hmm?"

"I said," you reach blindly for his hand on your stomach, holding it. "I like winter. It'd be nice to get married then." Harry presses his face into your hair, thinking for a moment.

"No sunny wedding?"

"It's sunny during the winter sometimes."

"Hmm."

"You don't like it?"

"No. Just never thought about it." You leave it at that, although now you're staring into the dark wondering what season you and Harry's previously undiscussed wedding should be. "It'd be pretty though," he finally murmurs close to your ear. "Snow, maybe some Christmas lights? We could have ice skating at the reception. Or even sledding!"

"You're going to ask our wedding guests to go ice skating and sledding in their suits and dresses??" The thought is so absurd that you can't help laughing, and he joins in. "What if it doesn't even snow?"

"Well, we'd have to have some type of winter themed activity."

"We can decorate the area with snowflakes. And every table would have fake snow on it." You can feel him smile behind you. "My dress, of course, would have to be as white as snow."

"And I'll wear an ice blue suit."

"Harry, no."

"Kidding, kidding." His chuckles die down, and for a few moments all is silent, only the sound of your breathing and the soft press of his lips against your shoulder. "So," he begins yet again, but this time his voice is more hushed, hesitant even. "Does this mean you're okay with the thought of marrying me?"

"I'm more than okay with it." Harry lets out a deep breath and lifts your hand to kiss the back of it a few times. "But don't think that counts as a proposal." His smile stretches against your hand.

"Course not."

"Mhm."

"The real one will come when you least expect it."

"Fine by me."

"Good."

"Night."

"What?"

"Goodnight, Harry. I still need to sleep."

"Oh. Goodnight, baby." You snuggle back against him, feeling relaxed and happy and loved as sleep finally starts to pull you under again. "...hey, baby?"

"Harry, I swear to fucking-" His laughter cuts you off.

"I'm joking! Goodnight!"