Chapter 87

Luke's POV

I couldn't believe Thalia even suggested to pray! Of all the kids in camp, Thalia, Avery and I were the least likely to get an answer. They wouldn't listen, they never did. And even on the slight change that we got something, it wouldn't be for us, but for them. Everything the do is for them, they never think about us, we're just another problem they shove aside, not to worry about.

"Stupid!" I yelled, kicking a garbage can. I was so frustrated and angry that I couldn't seem to think straight, my hands in my hair harshly gripping it. I hate them. I thought bitterly in my head. I hate them.

Just as I was about to offer a prayer- a very bitter prayer- I decided, why even try? My dad didn't care about me, so why even try to ask him? I'm sure Zeus would answer Thalia to save his own butt, but Hermes wouldn't care about this.

Letting out a scoff of how stupid this plan even was, I started to walk back to our meeting point.

"You know," a voice suddenly said to my right, startling me and immediately making me tense up, ready to fight and draw my sword. "I love airports. Almost as busy as I am. So nice when they made these, pure blessing I'd say." Hermes mused. He was leaning against wall, arms crossed and looking up at the sky where airplanes were taking off.

When I saw who it was, I fumed, wishing it could have been a monster- Heck! An army of monsters rather than him.

My hand tightened around the hold of my sword, pulling it out about a foot. "What do you want?" I spat.

"Thalia did say to pray to your parent did she not?" Hermes asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Youre no father to me." I barked.

A flash of hurt ran across his face.

"Besides," I sheathed my sword. "I never prayed to you."

Hermes didn't answer for awhile. "No, you didn't," he finally said. "But the girls did, and it looks like you need my help."

"I don't need anything from you!" I yelled.

Once again, Hermes face fell. He pushed off the wall, pulling something from his pocket. "I'm afraid this time you do." It turned out he pulled out a wallet, pulling out money while counting it.

"You think I can be bought?" I sneered. "After everything you've done to me?"

Hermes paused his counting. He looked up at me, his eyes filled with false pain. "I never meant for everything to happen to you Luke..." He started but i cut him off.

"Yeah well it did," I snarled. "The least you could have done was help me. You're a God aren't you?" I asked mockingly before continuing. "Keep your money, I don't want anything from you."

Pissed, i started to storm off but Hermes kept talking, obviously not getting the point.

"I hope you know that Zeus and Artemis aren't going to answer the girls prayers." He called.

"Like they ever were," I shot back behind my shoulder.

"You don't have enough money, Luke. Be wise and think this through."

Out of anger, I snapped my body back to look at him. "I already have! Thalia and Avery will go, I'll stay behind!" I started to walk off again.

"What about Avery?" He called.

I paused mid step. I was silent for a long time before finally asking, "What about her?"

"You want her to go alone? This quest is dangerous Luke. I can tell you that much."

My stomach dropped slightly, my heart feeling like someone had just squeezed it, his words getting my attention.

"Averill's never been out in the real world like you and Thalia, Luke," Hermes continued, walking to me slowly and cautiously.

"She's got Thalia." I answered, harshly, not turning to look at him still.

"Do you think Thalia can handle the both of them? A child of the big three and a forbidden child of Artemis? Monsters are going to be hunting them more than any regular demigod. They need you Luke, it's in the prophecy. They need you to be their rock, their leader, they need your fighting skills Luke, you're the only one that can protect them, especially Averill."

By now he was at my side. He waited a moment to let his words sink in, knowing he had got me. He took my hand and placed the money in it. "Take this," he pleaded. "Averill needs you."

With only a moment's hesitation, I turned swiftly to him, ripping my hand from his touch, the money crumbled in my hand from pure anger. "Fine," I snapped. "I'll take your stupid money. But don't think this fixes everything - or anything for that matter. You aren't buying me back, not even a little bit."

And without another word, I stormed off.