Chapter 27

Avery’s POV

            The whole cabin gathered around and sat in a circle, Luke in the middle.

            “All right,” Luke said examining his sword, “Let’s start with a straight out sparring first. Then we’ll get more into the technique. So,” Luke said then looked up and grinned wickedly at everyone, “Who wants to spar me?”

            Every single person’s eyes widened and they shook their heads, all scooting a little farther away.

            I raised an eyebrow and Jacie leaned in to explain. “Luke is the best sword fighter since like 300 years! No one can ever beat him!” Jacie whispered and I nodded.

            Luke looked at everyone, expecting a volunteer but rolled his eyes when no one raised their hands. “Fine,” Luke said, “Looks like I get to choose. How about….” He scanned the crowd. “Xander.”

            Heads turned until they landed on a boy, who I assumed to be Xander.

            Xander gulped and shakily stood up, gripping his sword. He stood in front of Luke and got in a ready stance, looking worried.

            Luke smirked, knowing he was scared. Without warning he lept into action and sliced at Xander’s chest, cutting his shirt and leaving a trace of blood.

            I gasped and put a hand over my mouth, horrified. “What are they doing?” I asked Jacie horrified.

            “They’re sparring.”

            “But-but he just cut Xander!”

            “You’re supposed to.” Jacie answered and I stared at her like she had grown three heads.

            “What if he killed him?” I asked.

            Jacie shrugged, “Worst case, he goes to the infirmary for a couple weeks. Campers don’t die outside of camp…” She thought about,  “Usually.”

            My eyes were wide as I turned to Luke and Xander slicing away at each other.   

            Xander tried to stab at Luke but Luke was ready for it. He locked his sword with Xander’s and twisted just right so that Luke had both swords. He pointed them to Xander, smirking because he know that he won

            “I draw.” Xander said, a bead of sweat rolling down his forehead.

            Luke nodded and sheathed his sword then helped Xander up. “Good job, just don’t stab without a purpose. Try to think through everything before you just do it.” Luke suggested.

            Xander nodded and quickly headed towards the circle and sat down.

            “Alright,” Luke said, “Split up into teams of two and start what we worked on yesterday.”

            We all got up and instantly friends started to grab at each other’s hands and pull each other to go and train.

            “Come on,” Jacie said. “You can train with m-” Before she could finish Luke interrupted her.

            “I can train her.” He said though I have no idea how he got to us so quickly.

            Jacie said, “No, Luke it’s fine. You probably-”