Chapter 68

Luke’s POV

            To say that I saw Avery being claimed by Artemis would be a complete and utter lie. Honestly, I didn’t even think Avery would be claimed at all, let alone by Artemis! I couldn’t even comprehend what had happened. First, a huge storm raged through the camp, bringing on a terror that only Hades could have developed. Most of the kids thought that it was Zeus, punishing us for something, but I knew that it was something much worse. Someone was breaking an Oath.

            I shivered at the thought of it. I knew what could happen when you broke an Oath. I had lived through one of my closest friends…breaking an Oath. I was there through the whole thing and I couldn’t even begin to describe the horrible things that I saw. Seeing something that horrible, is scarring and I wish that I could get the horrible scene out of my head but unfortunately, it’s seared in my brain.

            When I realized what was happening, I suddenly started to panic. The torturous memories started to override my brain but one coherent thought ran in my head.

            Avery.

            My heart froze as my wave of panic started to excel. Where was she?

            Immediately, I flew into action and raced throughout the whole camp, trying to find her. I was frantic; I knew that Avery hadn’t sworn on the river yet but… what if she was watching someone break the Oath? I couldn’t let her go through something so terrible, I didn’t wish for anyone, not even the Gods to watch something so horrible as to watch what happens after someone breaks an Oath. Now you know how terrible it is if I don’t even wish for the Gods to experience that. The scene was so soul bending to watch that I couldn’t even begin to comprehend how it would be to experience it!

            Little did I know, that I was right, about Avery watching someone break, or start to break, the Oath.

            Running around the camp, I called her name again and again, almost hysterical with worry. She was nowhere to be seen! What if something was happening to her and I couldn’t protect her? I promised I would protect her!

            My search had my heart grow heavier and heavier with fear as minutes pasted by without seeing her! I needed to find her! Get her somewhere safe! I needed to be there for her!

            Suddenly, I froze in my tracks as I looked up and squinted my eyes in confusion. The storm was staring to decrease in size. It was lessening rather than get worse. That shouldn’t happen.

            I stood confused for a moment before I shook myself out of the trance and started to search for Avery again. It was only until I found her that I allowed my heart race to calm down.

            Sitting with Avery close to me, we listened as Chiron started to get the campers attention though, that didn’t last very long. Soon, people were shouting out questions until Chiron finally screamed at everyone to shut up. When Chiron confirmed that the storm was from someone breaking an Oath, I glanced at Avery, my face worried.