Chapter 73

Artemis’s POV
            After a week, I finally convinced my Hunters that I needed to leave for a night on an important mission of my own. Zoe, my lieutenant and first in command, tried to persuade me otherwise, telling me to stay with the hunt but I knew that I needed to do this.
My lieutenant wanted me to stay so that I could proceed with our hunting, she did not know what my mission was. I could not my Hunters of my daughter and had yet to. I myself was a disgrace to my own Hunters, breaking a promise that I had them vow to keep. A virgin Goddess had sinned the greatest sin she could commit. Willingly, I had allowed myself to have Averill and lose my title as the virgin Goddess. Though, I did not technically lose my virginity but the rest of the council, as well as everyone else, needs to think so.
 Queen Hera was the first to discover that William and I were together from her being the Goddess of Marriage. Once William and I were married, she knew instantly just as I knew when an animal was killed. Unlike the rest of the council, she was not upset with my decision of being married. She thought that it was time for me to start a real family, rather than the Hunters who were are adopted daughter. Hera was pleased that I had found someone that I loved. She thought of my title as a virgin Goddess as silly. “Everyone needs a family and a husband.” She had told me.
William and I had always wanted a child since we were married, but I could not risk losing my title as a virgin Goddess however desperately I wanted one. My Hunters would know if I carried a child as well and would easily have seen through me. Knowing this, Hera had offered to help my husband and I have a daughter without me losing my title. She took both my husbands and my own blood and helped to create a child of our own.
The process itself was complicated and would not have been possible to comprehend by the mortal mind. Even to me, it was confusing but I did not argue. Hera magically, being the family Goddess, had taken and placed Averill in my stomach, concealing her from eyes so I had a flat stomach. After my daughter was able to be born, Hera cut open my stomach and Averill was more or less born to the world. I still had the scar on my stomach but I was easily able to pass it off as a wound I had received from a hunt prior.
Averill, the beautiful baby girl she was, had both similarities from both me and my husband. At first we had only seen small things from each of us but now, so grown up, you could perfectly see that she had Williams’s hair, height, smile and nose while she had my eyes, my abilities and my body type; lean and agile.
She was such a beautiful young woman today that it was so hard for me to stay away from her. Though Hera approved of my marriage with William and my daughter, the rest of the council did not. Hera had helped me through the entire mess of things and helped conceal Averill from monsters and insure her a safe place to live.
William had lived in New York being concealed with the help of Hera’s and my own abilities. I visited him when I could, leaving my Hunters on many occasions, either them knowing or not, so I could be with William. After Averill was born, I was forced to leave him in her care only ever visiting the two of them on short occasions. I was however able to occasionally take Averill to Olympus when I was needed allowing me to spend more time with her. Hera was the one that convinced me that the council would not know of who the Father was so nothing would go wrong. I agreed with her, desperate for more time with my beloved daughter.
The council, with the help of Queen Hera, was under the impression that I had physically given birth to a child with a God, not a mortal man. I had never told of who the father was so they assumed that if I was to break something so sacred it would be with another God and not a mere mortal. Everyone was shocked by the announcement of my daughter but most were pleased that I had chosen to marry. However, no one knew of whom I was married to. Since I had not married any of the Gods, none of them confessed to being the Father though everyone simply assumed that I was ashamed with breaking something so sacred and asked the Father to keep it a secret. When each of the Gods said they were not the Father, everyone had the suspicion that they were lying to protect me so but did not press further as to invade my privacy therefore the Father was not known.
Queen Hera and I were the only two out of the council that knew of William and I’s marriage. Like Hera had said, everything seemed to be going smoothly, nothing wrong happening. That is until one unfaithful morning, Averill only being a few months old, that I was asked to come to the monthly meeting of the council, that things started to take a turn for the worst.

*Flashback*
Averill was in my arms when I walked in to the throne room that the latest council meeting was to be held. She was cooing softly as I tickled her chin with my finger, her small fingers wrapping around my large one making me smile.
“I still cannot believe that you choose to conceive a child.” My twin brother’s voice came from behind me. Upon hearing his words, I tensed. Most would have tensed at being frighten of the sudden appearance of the God but with my enhanced animal senses, I had heard him as easily as if he was an elephant clobbering towards me. I tensed not at his appearance, but his words.
“Many things come to us as a surprise.” I responded coolly, a mask covering my face from the fear that Averill would be exposed as well as William.
He made a small hum of agreement and nodded his head.  “Let me hold her.” He insisted, holding his hands to the small bundle in my arms.
A small gasp left my mouth as I brought Averill close to my chest in a protective matter. Averill being my only child, I was very protective of her and did not want my brothers stupid and idiotic ways to rub off on her.
“Sister, come now. I surely won’t harm her with simply looking upon her and holding her in my arms.” Apollo said, rolling his eyes at my jester.
I hesitated, slowly bringing Averill from my chest and looking down at her small fragile face which was smiling. Sighing I came to my conclusion. “Be careful with her.” I warned him, “No sudden movement and cradle her head.” He nodded but before I handed Averill to him my eyes grew stern. “I am serious brother. She is still a babe.”
“By the Fates, Artemis, I will be careful with her. Please let me hold my niece.”
My lips pressed together but I nodded then slowly and warily gave her to Apollo’s arms.
“Thank you.” He smugly told me before holding Averill in his arms and smiling down at her. “Hello little one.” He said softly and I felt relief flow through me upon seeing him act cautiously with her.
Averill gave a coo as if to say hello and Apollo laughed, a small smile coming on my face as well.
“She sure is a beautiful and sweet babe.” He laughed.
It was then that Father decided to come over and join us. “She is very beautiful indeed.” Zeus agreed smiling down at her then touched his finger to her cheek trying to be affectionate but unknowingly, a small spark came from his finger, shocking her slightly causing her to cry in alarm the shock not being enough to hurt her but scare her.
“Father!” I exclaimed accusingly and took Averill back in my arms, rocking her close to my chest as she cried.
“Dear I am so sorry!” The King of the Gods apologized. “I did not mean it I assure you.”
My face softened. “Yes I know you did not. I am sorry as well, I should not have snapped at you.” I said as I tried to calm the crying babe.
Apollo laughed, “My she has strong lungs!” He commented on Averill’s loud cries. “She will have a fine singing voice indeed!”
“Perhaps.” I answered, finally calming Averill down with a binky, as the mortals called it, which she sucked appreciatively, her crying stopping instantly.
“How old is she again?” Zeus asked, his fingers rubbing his thick grey beard thoughtfully.
“Averill is almost three months.” I answered, fixing the fox skin that acted as her blanket.
            Father muttered something under his breath but I was too focused on making Averill comfortable that I did not know that he spoke of my daughter. He shook his head, clearing the though and looked up to see Apollo and my own face. “Let us start the meeting.”
            Both my twin and I nodded and took our seats at our thrones across from each other. When Father took his seat, he clapped his hands and everyone took their seats as well. Surprisingly, everyone was present at the meeting including Hades, which rarely happened.
            After we went through our monthly business, I thought we were to close the meeting but Father continued. “It has come to my attention that we still have not given Averill, Artemis’ daughter, her gifts.”
            Immediately, my body tensed at his words and my eyes clicked to meet Hera’s, both of our eyes panicked.
It was tradition for the Gods to grant a gift upon to newborn child that was born from an important God or Goddess. Though, it was only a tradition that was carried out when the child was born as a God or Goddess, not a half blood as Averill was. If a child was a demigod, we were not supposed to interact in our child’s life or their parent. Strict rules were written and if you did such a sever punishment was to pay. And Averill having a mortal parent could burn from all the gifts, though Hera had originally thought could happen and given her some of her energy as well as mine so Averill should be fine but I did not wish to take chances.
The gifting cermony had completely slipped my mind until the current moment. “Father I don’t see why we must continue the tradition. A babe has not been born for…decades, surely the tradition is not of use anymore…”
Of course, my pleads were sent to the wind, Father cutting me off. “Nonsense, Artemis. You are true to words that a babe has not been born since the Greeks were still here, therefore all the more reason to have the gifts granted to the child.”
“Father surly she does not need-”
“Are you denying her the gifts?” Father asked, raising a grey eyebrow suspiciously. “Is there something that you wish to speak with us?”
My skin tingled at the sudden feeling of each of the Gods and Goddess’ eyes on me. “No.” I said, hoping my voice sounded stronger than I felt. If I was standing up, surely my knees would have given out. “I just thought that the tradition was…old fashioned.”
“She is a minor Goddess, Artemis.” The King of the Gods said and I tried not to wince as she truly was not a full Goddess. “The gifts will be granted to her.”
“Y-Yes Father.” I answered obediently, my voice slightly strangled. He nodded his head to the middle where a baby bed had been formed from clouds. Swallowing, I stood on shaky knees and glanced at Hera for any help but her hands were tied just as mine where. She mouthed the words ‘she will be fine’ and I just prayed to the Fates that her energy as well as mine combined would not have the gifts overpower Averill and take her sweet innocence away. Once I finally reached the bed, I placed Averill gently on it and stepped away, my hands lingering on her skin longer than they should have incase that was my family farewell before I turned and sat on my silver throne once again.
“I shall go first.” Father announced and stood up, walking towards the babe while I tried not to make my knees shake. “I, Zeus, King of the Gods, Lord of the skies, God of Justice and Lightning grant you the ability to control lightning.” Thunder boomed in the distance and a white light was brought from my Father’s callused hands and brought to Averill’s small heart, the gift sinking into her soul.
Hera was next to grant her gift. She glanced at me before saying, “I, Hera, Queen of the Gods, Goddess of Home, Marriage and Family, grant you the gift of having a strong bond with your eternal companion that you choose to marry.” Again thunder boomed and a white light sank into Averill’s soul above her heart. I could not help but glare at Hera from her gift. Hera knew full well that I intended to keep Averill away from boys but Hera simply told me that everyone needed a husband even if they were as unfaithful as her own. I folded my arms over my chest however and added another gift that I grant my daughter.
Poseidon was next in line and strode towards the babe. “I, Poseidon, God of the Seas, Storms, Earthquakes and Horses grant you the ability to control water.” A blue light descended into Averill’s soul from his hands while thunder once again boomed as it did after each of the Gods and Goddess’ gave their gift.
Demeter rose from her throne. “I, Demeter, Goddess of Agriculture, Fertility, the Harvest, Season and Sacred Law grant you the ability to grow plants to your will.” A green light descended into Averill’s soul.
Ares sniffed and stood, his boots banging on the marble floor as he walked towards Averill. “I, Ares, God of War grant you strength in battle and the ability to excel with your chosen weapons.” From Ares, a red light was placed into the soul of my daughter.
The next Goddess to grant her gift was Athena. “I, Athena, Goddess of Wisdom, Strategy, Arts and Crafts, Battle and Reason grant you the gift of the ability with a bright mind with the ability to form a well thought-out strategy worthy of one of my own children.” A grey light was placed in Averill’s soul from the Goddess’ hands.
My brother was next as he winked at me as he rose then walked to the middle of the room. He smiled at her. “I, Apollo, God of Music, Poetry, Archery, Oracles, Knowledge, Civic Order, Medicine, the Sun, Light, extreme awesomeness and the hottest God there is...” Zeus cleared his throat as a warning while Apollo rolled his eyes not being punishes as his back was facing Father. After he made the childish jester of rolling his eyes, he continued. “Grant you the gift of musical talent and the gift of healing.” A gold light formed in Apollo’s hands and descended into Averill’s chest while she tried to grab it curiously making Apollo smile at her and give her a wink before stepping back to his throne.
I was next so I rose from my seat and walked towards me daughter. “I, Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt, the Wilderness, Chastity, Maidenhood…” I paused and swallowed looked around from the last two titles of mine. They were still mine though to the other Gods, I was not worthy of the title as they assumed I was no longer a virgin. I continued anyways, clearing my throat before continuing. “The Moon and Animals grant you the gifts of speaking with animals, archery, shape shifting, a pure heart and mind (to keep you away from boys, I added in my head), as well as all of my abilities as you are and shall forever be my only daughter.” She truly would be my only daughter. If I was to have another child, I would have a son. I smiled at my daughter as I brought my palms together then opened them for a silver light of my power flowing towards her and dissolving into her soul, a small laugh of happiness leaving her mouth. I smiled and kissed her forehead before returning to my throne.
Hephaestus hobbled forwards and placed a hand on the cloud to steady himself on his fragile legs. It did not go unnoticed that he glared at Hera before turning to my daughter. His voice was gravely as he spoke. “I, Hephaestus, God of Fire, the Forge, Volcanoes, Lord of Craftsmen and Smiths, and the Blacksmith of all Gods grant you the ability to have a skill and talent for building and fixing things.” His brown orb also found its way to Averill’s soul. He grunted before stumbling back to his throne.
Aphrodite strutted forwards, swaying her hips in a very sexy and inappropriate matter before stopping and looking upon my daughter with a smile seeming to be pleased by the beauty of my child but had to add to it. “I, Aphrodite, Goddess of Beauty, Love, Desire, Lust, and the Lady of the Doves grant upon you natural beauty and charm speak.” Her light was pink and you could smell the rose perfume on her as she walked away causing Averill to sneeze from the overwhelming scent of her.
Hermes smirked then jumped off his throne and walked to where Averill lay. “I, Hermes, God of Massagers, Travelers, Thieves, Roads, Merchants and the Messenger God grant you the gift of….” He tapped his chin and thought. “Hmmm…The gift of thievery without one noticing.” He finally said, nodding in content with his gift then placed his hand over Averill and his yellow light dissolved in her soul while she giggled as he tickled her before returning to his throne. 
Dionysus glared at Averill with distaste then started to get up but I raced to Averill, shielding her with my arms before he could ever start with his name. I glared at Dionysus then turned to my Father, my look fierce. “I refuse for him to come near my daughter, let alone give her one of his poisonous gifts!” I hissed.
“Artemis…” Father tried to reason with me but I stood as firm as a statue.
            “I
refuse.” I repeated, my eyes narrowed.
Father sighed, “Very well.” He said and waved his hand at Dionysus dismissively. “Send Hecate in to replace his gift.” Dionysus made a sound close to a scoff and muttered to himself.
“I didn’t want to give the brat a gift anyway.”
That threw me over the edge and I pounced at him, slamming him to the ground in milliseconds, my hands pinning him to the hard marble. Everyone gasped at the sudden action while Dionysus’ eyes were wide. “Say that again.” I threatened him, spitting my words out , my eyes flashing as I tried to control my need to grab my dagger and slit his throat. Apollo saved Dionysus as he pulled me away from the old fool while I struggled.
The wine God stood up brushing himself off before meeting my eyes. A smirk tugged at his lips, his eyes narrowed in defiance. “I didn’t want to give the brat a gift anyway.” He repeated, making sure that he pronounced each word to mock my threat before, thinking that I was unable to reach him.
I screamed and grabbed my knife that was tucked into my tunic at my side, throwing at him and giving him a large wound in his cheek, slicing it open with blood immediately flowing from it.
Everyone gasped at my action, none of them ever seeing me so violent, I myself had never been so violent but I was filled with rage as he had openly threated my child.
Apollo’s shock made him loosen his hold on me and I hit him in the gut before charging towards Dionysus, running into him, both of us rolling until I pinned him to the ground. Ares laughing could be heard but I was too busy ready to gut the God beneath me like a fish. Dionysus’ eyes were wild with fear, as he lifted his hands to protect his face. My left hand pinned him down and my right hand held my dagger that was about to be plunged into his throat.
“ENOUGH!” My father screamed standing and moving his hands fiercely to the side, thunder roaring throughout the whole room, lightning flashing, freezing me from killing the idiot and saving his stupid life. Me freezing allowed Apollo and Hades to lift me from Dionysus and hold me back from him though I still struggled even though it was pointless to get to him now.
“It was just getting good!” Ares wined, obviously upset the fight had come to an end. Obviously it interesting him with him being the war God. He loved contention.
Zeus glared at him. “I said enough.” He repeated, his tone poison and his glare just as deadly while Ares rolled his eyes and fell back into his throne crossed his arms as he sunk down in his chair, muttering curses. Father turned his glare upon Dionysus and i. “Artemis, I understand that he disrespected you…”
And my child!” I reminded him angrily, almost screaming the words.
He calmly nodded, trying to control his temper. “And your child, but that gives you no right to kill him.”
“Yes, Artemis.” Dionysus mocked, crossing his arms and smirking at me.
I growled and broke free of my captors while he screamed, cowering behind his hands before Apollo and Hades grabbed me and hauled me back before in my previous position my knife met with his chest right above his heart. Apollo took the knife from me, throwing it towards the direction until it skid and hit the bottom of it. I  glared at him before turning my gaze back on my father.
“Artemis please.” Father pleaded with me, “Calm yourself. I have never seen you act like this!”
“Her motherly instincts are kicking in.” Hera answered him firmly, standing up gracefully and joining the conversation  though her husband intended no answer. “When a mother’s child is threatened, the mother goes to destroy the thing threatening her babe. It is in no way Artemis’ fault of her actions, but the one threatening her child.” She glared at Dionysus who was whimpering with fear, the coward. “It is very unwise to threaten a mother about her child.” She told the wine God, her eyes narrowed on him.
“Yes, my Queen.” He answered quickly, his voice stricken with fear. “I won’t do it again, I swear it!”
I opened my mouth at him ready to retort something snappy back to him but Apollo squeezed my arm, reminding me not to push it and I simply just growled at him before turning back to my father, my teeth gritting together.
“Now,” Father said, sitting down back on his throne and sounding exhausted. “I would appreciate it if we could continue this. I was hoping this would finally be the meeting where we would not have someone trying to rip the other’s throat out…” He rubbed his forehead then continued. “So please let the rest of this go smoothly. Both of you or there shall be a punishment.”
“Yes Father.” I answered at the same time Dionysus answered,
“Yes, My Lord.”
“Excellent. Hermes if you could get Hecate for us and Hades?” The King of the Underworld who was holding me met Zeus’s eyes. “If you would continue and grant the child with a gift.” Hades nodded then released my arm while Apollo, still with his steel grip on my arm, led me back to my throne allowing me to rip my knife from the ground and replace it in the folds of my tunic at my side. Apollo, of course, had to stay by my side in case I tried something.
Hades walked to Averill and studied her and I swear I saw a smile tug at his lips before it vanished. “I, Hades, Lord of the Underworld, God of the Dead, and Wealth grand you the gift of speaking with the deceased as well as having a shade as a companion to help you with whatever you wish and to guide you. She is also to befriend you.” He turned and looked at the door, “Grey!” He shouted and immediately a young shade that looked to be no more than 10 years of age ran towards Hades and knelt on the floor, her forehead pressed against the tile.
“Yes, mi’ lord?” She asked humbly.
“You are to care for this child. Befriend her, keep her from harm and look out for her. Understood?”
“Understood, my Lord.” The girl answered, trying to hide the shaking in her voice.
“Very good, I leave you in her service as you are released as my servant unless I call upon you.”
The girl must have been surprised as she lifted her eyes to meet Hades. “My lord?” She asked, sounding disbelieving though there was hope in her voice.
Hades grunted. “You heard me correctly. Now rise and look at who you will be attending to.”
She nodded quickly and leapt up then turned and faced Averill, a smile forming on her lips. She reached her fingers to touch Averill and Averill laughed in response, trying to reach for her new playmate causing the shade to laugh as well. ‘Grey’, as Hades had called her, turned back to her old master and bowed. “Thank you, sir. I shall treat her well.”
“I shall hold you to that.” Hades said, his chin raised in the air authority in his voice. “She is Artemis’ child,” The shade’s eyebrow rose but she quickly cleared her face as he continued. “You are to do whatever Artemis desires as well as the child.” She nodded quickly then Hades met my eyes. “She may age right along with the child but, Grey,” He gestured to the shade who was playing with Averill. “Will be concealed from the mist so if you take them to the mortal world, no mortal that can’t see through the Mist will not see her.”
Swallowing, I nodded, concerned that when Averill went to mortal school, no one would be able to see Grey and I knew of the teasings that would be caused from that though I knew I could deal with the matter later. And I would have to tell the shade of who Averill’s father was, she would deserve to now and she would be able to help keep Averill safe. “Thank you.” I said to Hades, appreciative of the gift.
He nodded then pushed the shade towards me where she stumbled slightly startled before walking forwards to my throne bowing. “Pleasure to be serving you, miss.”
I smiled kindly at the shade and took her hand to which she jumped surprised at my gentles I’m sure as Hades had no gentleness in him. “No need for formalities, my dear.” I told her. “Thank myou for being so willing to serve.”
“Of course.” The shade smiled then took her place at my right side, her hands clasped in front of her and her head bowed in respect as she was not involved in the meeting.
Hecate soon joined and spoke, her gaze on Averill. “I, Hecate, Goddess of Magic, Witchcraft, Crossroads, and Goddess of the mist bless you with the gift of magic as well as the mist to cover what needs to be.” My eyes widened at the last gift, wondering how Hecate may have possibly known how much Averill needed that. Hecate turned and winked at me as I realized that Hera had asked Hecate to grant the gift to protect my daughter. I gave both Hecate and Hera a grateful look as a multicolored orb of energy was brought to Averill’s chest.
Once the ceremony was fully complete, I took the sleeping Averill in my arms as Grey followed me as we left. When we were alone, I glanced at Grey. “There will be things that I will need to tell you about Averill and you are to keep them a secret, do you understand?” Grey nodded and I sighed, thinking that this wasn’t as bad as it could have been.
*End of Flashback*

But if only I had known that Averill being blessed with this gifts would be the soul thing that would tear and be the end of our small three some family.
I sighed as I recalled the memory. Averill was almost 5 years of age, one day before her birthday when they finally discovered all that I was hiding. To this day, I still have no knowledge of how they found out but I feel as though it had something to do with Dionysus.
My father was outraged that I had kept the knowledge of Averill’s Father a secret and was offended that I had gone with the gifting ceremony. He was furious to know that I had broken a sacred rule that was written for all the gods for their Godly parent not to interact with the child at all and I had not only interacted with her but each of the other Gods and Goddess as well.
Zeus knew that William was the only man that I loved or planned to have more children with, and because I had not had any other children and Hera had added a part of her strength when she created Averill, Averill possessed more than 2 thirds of a God rather than half god and half mortal. My child was two thirds God and the other part mortal. She was the most powerful demigod so Zeus knew that I could not have any more children. Immediately, as my punishment, he ordered Hades to kill my husband and have me watch the dreadful sight.
Many things were scarring in my immortal life, but never had I witnessed something so horrible and cruel as to watch my husband die. Thank the Fates that it was not a cruel death and he did not suffer as the blow was swift, the cruel part was that they made me watch the only man that I loved and ever will love die before me and me completely powerless to stop it.
I know that Zeus regretted me watching my husband die in front of me as when he was dead as I sobbed and sobbed, not being able to forgive myself for I had done that to him but he had to follow rules as well. Once they had taken my dear husbands body away, they allowed Averill to come back into the room and I cried with her, though Averill had not seen the awful scene in front of her, her four year old self grieved for her father. They allowed me to grieve with her, both of our hearts torn in two, though half of my heart was not enough punishment for me as Zeus sent for the other part of my heart, my beautiful daughter Averill, to be destroyed as he told me that Averill was to die.
That dreadful day was scarred into my mind. If I had not been able to save Averill, I would never have forgiven myself.

*Flashback*
            Tears ran down my face faster than any river could ever flow. “You can’t do this!” I screamed, trying to rip away from Ares and Hephaestus’ grip as one of Hades damn shades forced Averill to breath in chemicals that would knock her out while Grey and I were frantic, crying to keep them from taking my daughter to die.
            Everyone had regret in their eyes but they continued with the process. Hermes came to take Averill and kill her while I became hysterical. “Stop! Please no! Please you can’t do this! Take me instead! I shall do anything! Please! Just not my daughter!” I sobbed, pleading for them to do anything but my pleading was lost to their ears and Hermes gave me a regretful and pitied look before he flew away, my beautiful girl in his arms.
            “NO!” I screamed, my sobbing only getting worse. “No! No! No! You can’t do this! Please! Please I beg you!” I tried but he still left, my pleas not being answered. When he was gone I collapsed on the ground, Ares and Hephaestus’ hold still on me. “No.” I cried, my voice quiet and desperate as I was on my knees, despair consuming me. Grey was at my side, also being retained and placed her head on my shoulder to comfort me as her hands were tied as well.
            Finally I collapsed on the ground, feeling utterly exhausted but I had a small spark that went through me as I saw William’s blood on the ground. She would NOT die as he did. I WOULD save her!
            I broke free of the two Gods’ steel grip and collapsed on the ground, trying to run but being to weak from struggling so fiercely against the Gods’ grip.  They went to grab me but my ‘Father’- not as though I thought of him as such anymore- put his hand out to hold them back. “It has probably already been done.” He said quietly while his eyes were on me. I was on the floor on my hands and knees, taking deep breaths as Grey, who had been freed just as I had, raced towards me, placing her hands on my back telling me to calm myself. She glared fiercely at the Gods then continued to calm me and help me up. Hera raced to my side as well, her feeling at just a loss as I was as they had to restrain her as well for she would have helped save both my daughter and husband.
            When I stood, I looked into each of the Gods and Goddess’ eyes my eyes so fierce and wild that each of them took a step back, fearing for their lives. All of them were here save that devil Hermes and my brother, for he would have helped me as he loved Averill almost as much as I did.. The Gods and Goddess’ each took another fearful step away from me while I continued to give them a monstrous glare.
            “Know that I hate each and every one of you with a burning passion. I hope you all go to Tartarus for having done such a cruel thing to me. There were many other ways to have punished me rather than to watch the only two people I loved, and ever will love, die.” All of them winced, my words acid. “Burn in Tartarus!” I spat at them then raced to follow Hermes, a change of hope flaring in my heart. It did not go unnoticed by me that Hades, who would be able to sense if my daughter was dead, said nothing that she was when Zeus said that it had probably already been done. That meant that she was still alive and I had a flare of hope.
            “Faster, Grey!” I yelled at her as I pressed myself to the max running faster than I, or any one for that matter, had ran in my entire life. I got to the hill, gasping for breath, just as Hermes was about to plunge a knife into my daughters heart.
            “NO!” I screamed and with all my strength I held on to Hermes arm so that he could not stab my poor girl. “No, please.” I whimpered, desperate. “Please don’t do this.”
            “You have sinned a great sin, Artemis.” Hermes told me, trying not to go soft as he knew that if he did not kill Averill, his punishment would be just as bad, if not worse, than mine had been. “You know your crime. You lied to the council and kept the truth from us as well as was a large portion of your daughter life.” He said, his voice stern.
            “I know.” I managed to say, “I know what I did was wrong. I swear on the River Styx that I know, but please! She is all I have left! They killed my husband, the only man that I have ever loved. Don’t kill my child; my pride and joy! Don’t kill my daughter, the only thing that I truly care about. I love her with all my soul, do not rip my soul apart by taking her life!” My voice was desperate and my adrenalin rush was gone leaving me exhausted. “I beg of you Hermes.” I cried and fell to my knees, not able to do anything more from the strength that was leaving me.
            Grey caught up with me, appearing on the hill then. A gasp left her lips, her hands flying to her mouth as the scene unfolded before her though she was frozen at the spot upon seeing her best friend and her adopted mother, as I had become to her, at the spot they were.
            Hermes brought the knife up but I tried the last thing that I could, grabbing his hand once again restraining him and saying, “Hermes, please! Think of your own son! Luke! Think of Luke!” I knew that I had gotten to him somehow as his hand faltered its pathway and he hesitated upon hearing his favorite son, Luke Castellan’s, name. “Think of May! The one that you love! Please don’t do this. What if it was your son that was to be killed for a punishment that you simply had to break at the thought of being away from your child. Think of watching May die in front of you. Please don’t do this!” I fell on the ground, my hand slipping from his not being able to support myself from pure exhaustion as I sobbed.
Hermes brought the knife once more, above his head, ready to make the arch to her heart.
            “Please.” I whispered through my desperate tears, sobs wracking through my whole body so hard that I was choking on them.
The next thing that Hermes did, I would never be able to repay him for.
A single tear raced down his cheek at the thought of his son, Luke, who thought that he hated him though Hermes loved Luke more than any of his own children. He brought down the blade and I flinched though the dagger never made its way to her heart but instead at his side then clattered to the floor.
I raised my head up hearing the sound, my vision blurry from my tears.
Hermes took the still sleeping Averill in his arms and bend down to my level. “T-take her.” He said causing a sob of relief to escape my lips as I covered my mouth in pure joy.  “I don’t want to hear of her ever again. If they find that I have done this, I shall be damned to Tartarus for helping you commit this crime. Keep her safe. Take her away, shield her from the Gods and the Goddess’. Don’t let them find her or they will kill her.”
I was sobbing in relief as I took Averill in my arms and held her close to my heart, shock starting to consume me that Hermes would do such a thing for me.
“Thank you!” I cried. “Thank you!”
Hermes nodded and pressed his lips together. “Artemis you know what you will have to do after this. She must live her life as a mortal with no contact to this world. You can never visit her no matter what the cost. You are not to contact her or tell her of anything. Keep her away from Camp Half Blood for as long as you can, forever if possible. She won’t be safe there. You need to be completely cut away from her life.” My breathing hitched in my throat at the horrible thought but I nodded, my only concern on being that she would be alive.
“If they do find her,” Hermes continued. “You may never claim her. Go to Camp and tell of her existence to Chiron but do not go with the child. Have him swear on the river to not tell of her. As I will.” He paused and took a breathe before swearing on the river. “I, Hermes, God of Messengers, Travelers, Thieves, Roads, Merchants and the Messenger God swear on the River Styx to never tell of Averill Rae Hawkins existence except to those who already know of her existence.” Thunder boomed and then he turned to Grey who was frozen to the spot. He herded her over and placed his hands on her shoulder. “You are to swear on the river as well.”
She swallowed but nodded. “I, Grey, deceased soul by drowning, shade in the Underworld, Servant to Lord Hades, Servant to Lady Artemis, and  Servant to Miss Averill Rae Hawkins swear on the River Styx to never tell of Averill Rae Hawkins existence except those who already know of her existence.” Thunder boomed deathly loud once more and Hermes now turned to me.
“Have those that you wish to know of her swear on the river as well and do everything in your power to keep her hidden. I shall help as well as I’m sure Hera and Hecate will. Hecate however should not be held completely trustworthy so simply tell her to shield Averill then clear her mind with a concentrated drop of the River Lethe so she will forget the past hour. Change Averill’s first name as I’m sure the Gods will not think to search for her. The last and middle name are common but the first name is not. Change her first name to something similar but still different and common to hide her true identity. Do all that you can do to conceal her from everyone and Artemis? May the Fates see you through.”
“Thank you Hermes!” I cried and hugged him tightly. “Thank you.” I whispered while he wrapped his arms around me.
“Don’t thank me yet. Hades will know that she will not die so you must somehow talk to him and convince him not to tell of the others and keep it hidden. Yes?”
“Yes, Yes thank you!” I said then kissed his cheek, as I have never done to a male besides William. I did the action to show just how much I truly appreciated his help.
Hermes seemed shocked by the jester and held his hand to where my lips hand been while I bend down and held Averill in my arms. “I shall spend one last day with her before I…I say goodbye and do what needs to be done to have her never remember this as well as keep her safe. Thank you, Hermes, Thank you so much.” With that I kissed his cheek once more than stood with Averill in my arms before Grey and I walked away while I planned on what to do with the innocent and beautiful almost 5 year old in my arms.
I kissed her forehead as we walked, relieved that she was alive though despair flooding me at what had to happen next.
* End of Flashback*

            A single tear raced down my cheek as I recalled the memories. I had saved her yes, but a part of my soul was still missing from how I had to treat her. That part of my soul was still gone for how many years I had gone by watching Averill go through such torturous things as being abused by the man sent from the devil. I was the one that finally had seen enough and had to intervene and call the mortal police on him then finally kill him once he was bought to jail. Though I should not have, I intervened every once in a while but there was almost no way for anyone to know that it was me. I had watched her every day, even given her money that she would need later after she left that orphanage. Everything that I had done would no way be able to pin pointed to me except possibly her weapons.
            When Hermes had been to Camp Half Blood to speak with his son, Luke, Hermes son mention Averill (her false name Avery) and Hermes immediately came to me and notified me of the matter. In minutes I had Averill’s wolf that the Fates had tied her with to watch over her. Luna was doing her job perfectly at protecting her just as she was designed to do so.
            I was never supposed to claim her but I simply could not stand that Averill would feel so abandoned and stuck in such a horrible cabin. I had broken yet another promise and claimed Averill though my intensions were good.
            After all that my daughter had been through, I had to do this one thing for her.
            It was past midnight, the moon high in the sky as I walked towards the cabins at Camp Half Blood, not making a sound. I knew that Averill was sitting on the roof. She, like myself, had a hard time going to sleep at night and seemed to always be awake. 
            Looking at her made those memories return to me as if Poseidon had crashed a wave of water into me with his mighty hand. I closed my eyes and prepared myself for this talk.
            I reminded myself of the rules to not act loving with her, however much I wanted to. If I acted loving towards her and the council found out, they would kill her as my punishment so if I acted as though I did not love her, they would think that if they killed her it would not affect me. If this was what kept her alive, I would do it no matter how painful it was.
            Taking a deep breath, closed my eyes and readied myself to speak with my daughter which I had not done since I had to say goodbye to her, that day that she turned 5 was when I left from her eyes until tonight.
            Reopening my eyes I thought in my head, I’m ready.  Though I wasn’t certain I truly was.
____________________________________________________________________________________
A/N: YEAH BABY!!! THAT JUST HAPPENED!!!!!! Woosh well that was nice to finally write that idea down. I was only going to add a little bit of Avery's past but I was on a role and it felt like the right time to reveal everything. So please tell me what you guys think! Comment!! Comment! Comment! COMMENT!!! PLEASE!!! I started to feel kinda let down because I'm not gettiting as much votes and comments. But i thought you guys deserved this!!