Chapter 45

Avery’s POV

            I ran in the cabin only to run into Luke. His cheek looked healed but there was still a slightly tint of red from where Silena slapped him.

We did the awkward thing where you both try to walk and go the same way at the same time. We did that two times then he quickly slid through the right wall and ran off. I sighed and walked in to find Jacie. “Hey.” I greeted.

            She turned to me and smiled. “Hey. So are you ready for capture the flag?”

            I shrugged. “I-uh… I don’t know.”

            “Do you have any questions?” Jacie asked while she strapped a breast plate on her. “I know how scary it is to ask questions in front of everyone.”

            Relief hit me at her understanding. “What happens if you win?”

            “Basically you get bragging rights and the banner is hung up with your cabin’s name above it. You also get first dibs on the showers… you get out of daily chores for that month, you get the dinner dedicated to you the next night and ya…” Jacie explained.

            “Anything else?” I asked.

            Jacie smirked but tried to hide it. “There’s also a tradition that whoever captures the flag, gets to kiss whoever they choose and that person has to kiss back no matter what.” She smiled at me and I understood exactly what she was saying. “If you get the flag Avery, you can kiss Luke and he has to kiss back.” Jacie said, confirming my thoughts.

            A huge blush covered my face. “No, I can’t do that. He doesn’t even like me! I wouldn’t be able to do it!”

            “Why not? Almost every girl who has ever gotten the flag kissed Luke. Including Annabeth and Thalia but they only kissed him on the cheek as like a sisterly thing. Total waste if you ask me.” She said shrugging.

            After hearing that I couldn’t help but feel the jealousy rising up in me. I guess I should know that Luke had already kissed someone.

            Thankfully, Jacie let the topic go and we helped each other put on our armor until we were both fully dressed.

            When we were done I we walked side my side to get Jacie’s sword. “What are the magical items that campers can use?” I asked.

            “Well, some people have armor that melts into their close, others have special and modified weapons- like your sword and daggers can go into a small carry object- then there’s like greek fire, sonic arrows. Stuff like that.” Jacie answered.

            “Do you have a magical item?”

            “Nah, not really. I’m only really fast. Other than that I don’t have very many skills.” Jacie said as we walked. “But you, you have plenty.”

            I raised my eyebrow. “Like what? Besides my weapons I don’t have anything.”

            It was Jacie’s turn to raise her eyebrow. “Are you kidding me? From what I’ve heard, you have charm speak, you can control lightning, you have amazing archery skills, like seriously! There isn’t anything you can’t do!”

            “I guess but-” I was cut off by a horn and Jacie’s eyes widened.

            “Come on we only have five minutes!” She rushed to the armory and grabbed her shield then we ran to where the campers were meeting at the edge of the woods.