Chapter 3

Avery’s POV

            Pulling out my schedule and a map, I tried to find out where the gym was.

            Only getting lost once, I finally made it to the locker rooms just in time.

            The coaches explained that we were going to be staying inside today and play volleyball. I resisted the urge to pump my fist in the air. Volleyball was my favorite sport!

            Luckily I had packed my gym clothes with me so all I had to do was go and change into them along with the rest of the students.

            Our gym clothes had to go along with the school colors so my gym clothes were purple, black and white. I had a black shirt, white pants, and purple shoes. Luckily the school provided knee pads too. (polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=112251770)

            We warmed up by jogging around the gym for a minute than we got separated into teams. My team consisted of me, a popular girl, a large chunky guy, Rick, and another scrawny girl. None of the kids here looked like troubled kids, but then again most don’t.

            Volleyball, being my favorite spot, made me really competitive. When it came to volleyball, I always had a plan.

            At game point, we were tied and whoever made the next point won. The girl that was serving the ball looked at me with a smug look. “Don’t be too hard on the loose.” She said. “My team always wins.”

            “Well I guess you haven’t met me yet.” I shot back.

            She rolled her eyes and called the serve. The girl was definitely the best player here. She could hit the ball and have it go 30 miles per hour! When she threw the ball up in the air, my whole team guarded their faces, ready for impact.

            I shifted my weight back and forth from my feet, waiting for the serve.

            When she hit it, she aimed straight for my face. Every kid that was watching, including the other team, shielded their eyes with their hands, knowing that the ball would hit me straight in the face.

            Suddenly something kicked inside of me. Everything seemed to slow down and I took a step back and set the ball. It spun in the air and everyone watched. Rick came up and hit it one more time and I ran up and spiked the ball on the other side of the net.

            Everyone undid their hands from their face and were shocked for a moment. Then everyone that was watching burst into cheers and ran towards me. Apparently, no one had beaten the girl since she had first got here.            

            I glanced over at the girl and saw the look on her face. One word:  priceless.