Chapter 26

Avery's POV

We had to stop to get Luke and Jacie's sword, but when we finally got there Luke wanted to start to find me a weapon immediately.

"The weapons we use at camp are made out of celestial bronze. They can hurt monsters, demigods, and everything else related to the Gods but they can't hurt mortals. It would pass right through them." Luke explained to me, while holding up his sword.

"Cool." I said, "So what kind of weapon do I get?"

"Let's try a few out and see." Jacie suggested and we went through the weapons in stock.

Every sword that I tried wasn't balanced right, or wasn't the write size, it was too big, too small; there was always something wrong with it!

"This is hopeless!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air.

Jacie bit her lip, "I'm sure you'll find one soon..." She said trying to reassure me but it was too doubtful sounding to really have any reassurance.

I started to walk out of the doors but right before I could touch the handle they opened.

My eyes widened and I jumped back to have Chiron trot in. "Ah, Avery." Chiron said but he sounded slightly shaken. "This- this is for you."

He held out a box with my name written on it in beautiful cursive.

Averill Rae Hawkins

"Who's Averill?" Luke asked.

I blushed and took the box, "Me. My parents changed it to Avery before they died." I said and examined the box, "Who's it from?" I asked Chiron.

"I do not know." Chiron said steadily but his eyes told a different story. He knew exactly who had given it to me, he just wouldn't say.

Deciding not to push it I looked down at the box. "Well," Jacie said, "Open it already."

I shrugged and opened the package to see another small box. I opened the top of the box and gasped.

In the box was a beautiful sword. The hilt was a beautiful dark blue that looked like the sky at midnight with bright, white speaks that looked like stars. The tip was a beautiful silver color and something was carved into the hilt.

"Midnight." I said being able to read the Greek carving.

Under the sword were two daggers that both looked about the same as the sword only the hilt was a different color, "Twilight and Dawn." I said reading the Greek carved into the daggers.

Chiron nodded, "You're Greek is already very good. I am impressed by how quickly you have been able to read it."

"But," I asked, "Where did they come from?"

The centaur looked uneasy, "It must be a blessing. Perhaps from your..." He looked up at the sky as if to ask something, "Godly parent." He finished, still staring at the sky. When nothing happened he turned back to me.

I smiled at my new weapons.

"I must be off." Chiron said, "I have to help Mr. D with... something." He galloped away leaving me, Luke and Jacie alone in the training room.

"Hey," Luke said, "There's something written here." He grabbed the lid and turned it upside down. He looked like he was reading something then he said, "Wow, say the name of the sword." Luke said.

I raised an eyebrow but said, "Midnight" I waited but nothing happened.

Luke shook his head, "No, say it in Greek."

Shrugging I said, "μεσάνυχτα!" I called and suddenly the sword started to shift into a silver ring. "Sweet." I said.

"Try the daggers now." Jacie said, getting excited.

Grabbing the daggers I called, "λυκόφ?ς, αυγή!" Suddenly the daggers shrank until they were silver bracelets around my wrists.

"That is so cool!" Jacie shouted.

"Awesome." Luke agreed. "So, on the box it says you don't have to always call it out. It says that eventually you'll get good enough to be able to think it, but it says that takes lots of practice. You can also tap it but...." He read something else. "That's only for the daggers. Hit your wrists together and they can form in your hands."

"That is so cool." I said nodding.

Jacie pouted. "Dang, I wish I could get some cool weaponry from my father."

"Who's your father?" I asked stupidly but only realized it was stupid when Luke and Jacie gave me a look.

"Hermes." She said slowly and I got the 'no duh' moment in my head.

"Not all the kids in the Hermes cabin are unclaimed demigods." Luke explained. "Most, but not all. I'm first in command then..... the Stoll brothers." He shook his head and muttered, "I don't know who decided that one." Then he said more clearly, "And finally Jacie in third command."

My cheeks burned with embarrassment. "Sorry I guess I should have known that."

"Hey," Luke said putting his arm on my shoulder, "You're new. It will take time to get used to everything. Honestly, I'm surprised at how well you are doing so far."

I nodded, grateful for the helpful comment but still I felt pretty stupid.

We all turned out heads when we heard kids coming in the distance. You could tell it was the Hermes cabin by how loud it was. They burst through the doors, laughing and fooling around. "Looks like training is starting." Jacie said.