Chapter 34

Avery’s POV

            Another week had gone by and I couldn’t help but feel upset that I still hadn’t been claimed. The more time that has gone by, the more I resent my Godly parent. I try not to, but it just happens. It makes me upset that I could have been claimed so much sooner yet I might wait for years, like some of the kids, for my parent to claim me. Maybe I really was just a mistake.

            I was sitting in my favorite tree in the woods when someone yelled up at me from below. “Avery!” Luke called, “Avery come down here!” My face was confused by his tone. He sounded upset, but I don’t know why he’d be upset about anything.

            “Hang on!” I called down at him before I took one last view of the camp from the top branch of the tree top then started to make the long way down to the bottom. When I finally had about two feet left ‘til I hit the ground, I jumped and turned around to see Luke. His expression, like his tone, looked upset but it was a strange kind of upset. 

            “Yes?” I asked him while he had his arms crossed over his chest and was glaring softly at me.

            “Why didn’t you tell me it was your birthday is tomorrow?” He demanded and my eyes widened at him knowing about it. I hadn’t told anyone when my birthday was besides Grey. I suddenly shied away from him.

            “I don’t know. I just didn’t want to bother anyone with it and-”

            Luke cut me off, “Avery come on. Your 18th birthday is important! Why didn’t you tell me? Next time I found out that you are keeping something from me, I won’t let you off so easily.”

            “It’s just a birthday Luke. It’s not a big deal.”

            “You only turn 18 once. Plus this is your first birthday at camp. You gotta make it one to remember, right guys?”

            “Guys?” I asked then suddenly all my friends popped out from the bushes and tackled me. “Ahhh!” I screamed as I tumbled down with everyone on me. Laughing I tried to shove them all off, once everyone got off of me, Jacie smiled and held her hand out.

            “That’s for not telling us.” Brianna told me once I stood up and brushed myself off.

            I laughed again but said, “Honest guys, birthdays aren’t that big of a deal. We never even celebrated them at the orphanage.”

            Everyone gasps like that was the most horrendous thing that they had ever heard.

            “Looks like we’re going to be throwing you a huge party then,” Thalia smirked while I just shook my head frantically.

            “No guys plea-” 

            My begging was cut short when Brianna yelled, “Time to get ready guys!” as if she was leading a charge. Everyone quickly ran towards the camp leaving Luke and I alone.

            While everyone was running away, my hand was out, as if I could stop them. I looked over at Luke and glared at him, “This was because of you wasn’t it.”

            “Ah come on.” Luke laughed, “It wasn’t all me.”

            I rolled my eyes while he laughed again and wrapped me in a hug. “We’re going to make this birthday one to remember,” He told me while I groaned.

            Luke let go of me and spun me around before I was turned so that I was facing him, my right hand in his. Jokingly, Luke bowed to me and faked an accent. “Farewell my lady, I shall see you on the morrow for I have to prepare for your birthday celebration.” With that he jogged away from me turning his head at the last second and sending me a smirk before I could stop him.