Chapter 18

******IMPORTANT******
A/N: I'm sorry that I keep doing this to you guys but I'm going to have Percy not come until later. So he hasn't actually come to camp. I have a plan on what to do with it. I'm sorry that I keep changing everything, I feel awful but in order for the story to work, Percy needs to come later. He also won't be attacked by Mrs. Dodds (Aka the fury) and he won't have all the horrible stuff happen to him cuz he's not that powerful of a demigod. Sorry guys. Please tell me if you're confused.
        One more thing before I let you guys read the story.
        Thank you guys so much for reading!  I'm sorry that I'm making everything so confusing but it's for a reason I promise! Anyway, I love you all! Thanks! And enjoy the new chapter with a very special character. ;) 
        -Breann
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Avery’s POV
        “Wow.” Grover said when we walked out. “I’ve never seen Nico so friendly to anyone before.
         I smiled, “You know. They look cute together.” I said.
        Grover laughed but agreed. “Yeah they kinda do.”
        My smile was wiped from my face when a thought came to mind. “They wouldn’t be able to be together though right? Since they’re from the same cabin?” I said.
        “Oh no they could. I mean other people couldn’t but they can. People from the same cabin can’t date each other cuz they’re half siblings but you can date a camper from another cabin. Since Grey isn’t a daughter of Hades, and merely a servant, they can date.”
        “Sweet.” I grinned. “So, since I know where Grey is staying, where will I be going?”
            Grover pointed to cabin number 11, the one that we skipped. “It’s that one there. I wanted to show it to your last so we could get the tour done with and you could meet your cabin mates after.”
            “Can we go there now?”
            “Yeah, come on.” Grover said and we started to walk towards the cabin.
            The outside probably looked like the most normal cabin out of all of them. It was a wooden cabin that had its paint chipping but still was intact.  The whole cabin looked really worn out as if everyone one had stayed in there at one time, only later did I find out that most people did.
        There was a caduceus above the door and a shoe with a pair of wings on them behind the caduceus.
        “Hermes?” I guessed.
            “Yup,” Grover confirmed. “He’s the God of travellers so he takes in new campers. More than half the camp has stayed here at one point. If you aren’t claimed yet, you go to the Hermes cabin, if you are a Hermes son or daughter you go there, and if you’re parent is a minor God or Goddess, you stay here. It’s pretty full, we’ve even expanded it a couple of times too but it always manages to go back to the way it was.”
            We walked into the room and immediately I realized what he meant by how full it was. The place was packed!
            There were tons of bunk beds all lined up to make as much room as possible. The ceiling was extremely tall and the bunk beds were 4 beds tall and still everything was packed.
            Sleeping bags littered the floor while a few people were playing a card game on the floor, sleeping, or joking around while the whole cabin was ablaze with noise.
            When we walked in, every single one of the people in the cabin turned to look at us and the room got quiet.
 I blushed a deep red, not used to so much attention.
A few of the kids smiled up kindly but others smiled at me like they were decided if I was worth it to pick pocket.
“Hey guys. This is Avery.”
            “Regular or undetermined?” Someone called, ignoring Grover.
            “Undetermined.” Grover said and the whole cabin groaned.
            An 18 year old boy that had blue eyes, brown hair and mischievous eyes, that made me not want to trust him with my wallet, came up to me and put an arm over my shoulder, flirtatiously. “Come on guys. We’re happy to have a new cabin mate! Especially one as hot as you.” He said to me and winked at me, causing me to blush deeper.
            Another boy, that looked exactly the same as the one with his arm over me- who I later found out was his twin- came up to me and shoved his brothers arm off me. He came to the side of me and put his hand on my waist pulling me close to his side. “Come on Connor. Be nice to the gorgeous girl!” He winked too and his brother, Connor, shoved him off of me.
            “I called dibs on her first Travis!” Connor yelled and pushed Travis away from me.
They started to argue and soon they were rolling on the floor fighting while the other kids watched like this happened often.
            “What in Hades’ name is going on?” Someone called from the doorway.
            Everyone turned to see a 19 years old guy with a muscular, tall frame and short- cropped sandy hair along with a friendly face although he wore a scowl on it currently. He wore an orange tank top, cutoffs, sandals and a leather necklace with five different-colored clay beads.
            To explain him in one word? He was hot. The only thing unsettling about him was a thick white scar that ran from just beneath his right eye to his jaw but even with that he was very attractive.
            When he saw me the scowl was immediately wiped off his face and replaced by a friendly smile. “New camper?” He asked and I nodded shyly.
            He blinked and looked me over, his expression slightly confused. “How old are you?”
            “17.” I answered still feeling uncomfortable. “Almost 18 in 3 months.”
            “Wow,” He answered clearly shocked. “Usually we don’t get new campers that old.”
            “Why not?”
            “They um...” He put his hand on the back of his neck and rubbed it, not making eye contact. “They usually get killed before they reach the age of 14.”
            “Oh.” I said in a small voice.
            The boy shook his head and gave me an apologetic look, “Sorry I’m kinda freaking you out aren’t I? I’m Luke Castellan, cabin counselor to the Hermes cabin.” He held out his hand. I took it gingerly and shook it.
            “Avery.” I said and he smiled.
            “Welcome to Camp Half-Blood, Avery.”
            I smiled nervously, “T-thanks.”
            “Well, I guess we should get you a bunk.” He turned to the people in the cabin. “Anyone have an open bunk near them?”
            The boy named Connor stopped fighting his brother and stood up quickly brushing himself off then gave me a flirtatious smile. “There’s one by me.”
            “Yeah, anyone else?” Luke said quickly.
            A couple of the campers laughed while a girl in the back raised her hand. “There’s one by me since Sydnee moved to the Demeter cabin.”
            Luke smiled. “Great. Thanks Charlotte.” He turned to me and was about to say something when a loud noise of a horn blew in the distance. Luke sighed and turned to the campers, “Alright cabin 11; fall out to the mess hall. I’ll meet you all there.” He turned to Travis regretfully, “Travis, you-you take them there.”
            Travis pumped his first and Connor looked upset. “How come he gets to lead everyone?” He whined as if he was 5.
            “Cuz I’m older,” Travis said, trying to rub it into his brother’s face.
            “Am not!” Connor argued.    
            “Am too!” Travis said, getting all up into Connor’s face.
            They started to fight again and Luke sighed, “On second thought, Jacie, why don’t you take everyone down to dinner.”
            A girl that looked like most of the campers in the room with sharp mischievous facial features along with the look in her eye that teachers would mark as a trouble maker, stepped out. “Sure thing, Luke.” She said and stepped forward then bent down grabbing Travis and Connor by their ears, without mercy, and leading them, along with the other campers down to the mess hall. I laughed when I could hear Travis and Connor complaining about how much their ears hurt while Jacie dragged them away.
            When they were all gone Luke sighed then turned to me. “Here, let’s get you settled in then we can get you to the dinner pavilion.”
            I nodded and he took my bags. I was about to argue but he just said, “It’s the least I can do. We didn’t exactly give you the greatest welcoming party.”
            “That’s not-” I started but Luke gave me a ‘really’ look and I just sighed letting him take my bags.
            Luke chuckled and let me over to where I would be sleeping. “Sorry you won’t get a lot of space. The Hermes cabin is pretty full.”
            I laughed, “I couldn’t guess,” I joked and the scar on Luke’s face rippled when he smiled widely.
            “So where do you come from, Avery?”
            “I’m from New York.” I said. “I used to live at an all-girls orphanage.” I told him.
            He looked up from making the bed. “You’re an orphan?” He asked.
            I nodded sadly. “Yeah, my parents died when I was little. I mean-I guess one of them didn’t but….” I said trailing off.
            “How old were you when they, ya know.”
        “I was only five.” I said.
        His eyes widened and an angry glow was in them. It looked like resentment but not towards me, someone else. “So do you know who you’re Godly parent is? Did they ever help you out?”
        Shaking my head I said, “I didn’t even know I had a God or Goddess as a parent until today.”
        The look of resentment was stronger in Luke’s eyes. He just shook his head and muttered something. It sounded like, ‘Typical,’ but I might have heard wrong.
        He looked back up and stood back admiring my new little corner. “I think we did pretty good. It will seem more like home after a while. You can go down to the Camp Store and get a few things there though it looked like whoever packed for you got a lot of the essentials.”
        I nodded smiling. “Grey is always one to be prepared.”
        Luke turned to me, “Who’s Grey?”
        “She’s my friend; she came to camp with me. She’s a ghost, a servant of Hades apparently.”
        He raised an eyebrow at me, asking why I sounded bitter about the last part. I sighed and explained, “I wasn’t told that she was a servant of Hades until today. All she told me about herself was that she was a ghost, and I’ve known her all my life.”
        “That sucks.” He said and I nodded. “I’m sure she had a good reason.” Luke said trying to comfort me.
        “Maybe.” I said.
        We sat in silence for a while until Luke snapped his finger and said, “I almost forgot. I got you a camp T-shirt. Chiron likes us all to wear them. He told us we were getting a new camper. I uh... only got one size so it might be kinda… well, really big on you. We’ll get one that’s in your size tomorrow.”
        He handed me the shirt and I thanked him and went to the bathroom to go and get changed.
        Taking off all my jewelry, I felt really stupid when I realized I was still in the Hermes themed outfit, I probably looked like an idiot walking into camp- especially the Hermes cabin itself. Suddenly I was very thankful for the shirt that Luke gave me, even though it was way too big for me. It was better than looking like an even bigger fool with what I was wearing before.
        I had an extra hair band on my wrist so I put my hair in a braid. It was my favorite way to do my hair but Grey insisted that I kept it down along with the outfit. Well since I wasn’t wearing that outfit anymore, I could do whatever the heck I wanted with my hair.
        When I came out, Luke was putting my bag in my trunk. “Okay so are you ready to go?” He asked when he turned to me. “Chiron usually likes to introduce new campers in front of everyone.”
        “Oh joy.” I said sarcastically and Luke laughed.
        “Come on, you’ll do great.” Luke said, “I mean I like you, I’m sure that everyone else will too.”
        I blushed and nodded. Luke and I walked to the door and Luke held it open for me and I blushed more and causing him to smile