Chapter 72

Luna’s POV
            If only she knew.  Maybe it was a mistake for Artemis to claim her in the first place. Though I respect Artemis’ decision. It was hard not to wonder if Avery would ever truly understand that her mother loved her desperately. She would never have given away her most sacred thing to a man willingly if she did not love Avery. Lady Artemis knew very well what she was doing. She wanted Avery, out of William and Artemis, it was Artemis that wanted Avery not Avery’s dad. He knew the cost and the danger but Artemis wanted a daughter of her own. Unfortunately, Avery couldn’t see any of that, nor could I help enlighten her about the subject.
            When Avery had slammed the door in my face, I turned my head feeling pained from the secrets that I was keeping from her. I needed to speak with Lady Artemis immediately.
            Soon I was racing towards the woods until I slowed to a trot, looking around with my ears picked up, trying to detect if anyone was near me. Once I realized they were not, I called upon Lady Artemis through my mind.
            My Lady I need to speak with you immediately. I told her, my voice urgent.
            As of right now? Artemis asked, immediately responding to me. My Hunters and I are tracking a…
            I did not let her finish. It is about your daughter, my Lady.
            Her voice was cut off instantly upon hearing of Avery. Averill? Is there something wrong with her? She asked, her voice frantic with worry.
            I feel as though it would be best to speak with you in person about the matter.
            Of course. I will be there immediately. Stay where you are so I may find you.
            Patiently, I waited until Artemis came running swiftly through the forest, falling to her knees in front of me. “My daughter.” She demanded, looking as though she might cry. “Where is she? What is wrong with her?”
            Taking a deep wolfish sigh I knew that Artemis would not like what I was to ask of her. “Averill is physically fine, my lady.” I told her and she immediately relaxed but tensed up when I continued. “But…I am not sure about her mental condition.” I admitted. “She feels as though you have abandoned her when she needs you most. She has very strong, all resentful, feelings towards you. I feel as though you need to speak with her, my Lady. I know it is out of my position to ask this of you, but I am the girl’s guardian as you send me to do such. I care for Averill just as much as you do, and I wish for her to be happy…but…I’m afraid she needs to know some of her past, my Lady. She needs to feel loved.”
            Artemis closed her eyes, pained and stayed silent for a long period of time. “I know she does.” She finally said after such a long pause. “You do not know how much I wish to take her in my arms and hold her close to me.” She gave a regretful sigh and looked up into my blue eyes, her silver ones shimmering with pain. “But you know what the council would do. I am to act distance towards her and not loving or else they will soon find out about her and kill her immediately just as they did her… her father…” She trailed off thinking of the man she loved before returning on the subject and staring at me intently in the eyes, a determined look on her face. “I cannot let that happen to her, Luna. If it means I have to stay away from her, I have to do that.”
            “Could you not take a small amount of time to speak with her?” I insisted, my voice desperate. I did not trust the Hermes boy, Luke. He hated the Gods and I fear he would cause Avery to as well.
            Artemis thought of this for a long time and finally nodded softly. “I shall see what I can do, my faithful lieutenant. You are a true friend to her and I thank you for your service.”
            My head bowed to her in respect. “Of course my Lady. It is my duty.”
            The Goddess of the Hunt and the Moon gave me a small smile then stood up, her auburn hair flowing in the wind. “Thank you. I shall try to speak with her soon. I suppose it is time for me to return her other powers to her as well. Please do report to me if you see it fit. I shall go back to the Hunters for they will be wondering of my absence. Please console her all that you can. Truly it breaks my heart that I cannot act like a mother to her, but I trust you to be there for her when I am not.”
            “Of course.” I answered, then slowly raised my head. “My lady, if I may recommend appearing to her as a fully grown woman as you did at the claiming rather than…” I looked her up and down seeing her form that she preferred. A twelve year old girl in a short tunic, her bow in her hand and quiver fully stocked with arrows. I searched for the right words of what I was to say next. “What you look like now. It may be difficult for her to recognize you as well as make her wary of you seeing as you look to be younger than her.
            Artemis gave a laugh that sounded like wind chimes and nodded. “Yes I suppose you are right, this form may be a little…startling to her.” She laughed once more than gave me a farewell nod. “I shall leave her care in you. I trust you to keep her safe.”
            “Yes, my Lady.” I bowed. “I hope you return safely.
            “Thank you. Farewell Luna.” With that she turned to the woods and sprinted faster than a cheetah and dodging each tree with her skilled agility until she was out of sight.
            My eyes stayed fixed on where she had disappeared, only dropping my gaze when I thought back to Avery. She was a strong girl but I feared that her emotions would be too driven by bitterness that she would be blinded by her anger and not be able to see Artemis’ love towards her.
            Closing my eyes from the thoughts that were so deeply imbedded into my head, I turned back towards the camp and raced to see how she was doing. When I returned to camp, my breathing labored, I walked into the cabin easily thanks to the ‘doggy doors’, as Avery had called the, and slipped into the room than Avery’s bedroom. I could have entered before this moment but I felt as though I needed to leave her be for a moment until she felt calm once again.
            A look of love crossed my face as I saw Avery draped on her bed, laying on her side while her head resting on her arm, her eyes closed and breathing steady showing she was asleep. My heart swelled with love for her and I hopped on the bed careful not to disturb her then nuzzled my way under her left arm until her arm was wrapped around me and I was closely nestled to her.
            I touched my nose to her cheek affectionately, the equivalent way of a human kissing her cheek in a loving way. “She loves you, little star. Just as I do. Everything will make since to you soon. I promise.”
___________________________________________________________________________________
A/N: Sorry short chapter but I promise to write more soon. It has been a very stressful week but I hope you enjoy this chapter!
        -Breann