Chapter 21

Luke’s POV
        The whole pavilion was ablaze with noise and I glanced around to see the Hermes cabin to their usual selves. They were all joking around, taking, laughing and pick pocketing as well as trying to start a food fight without someone noticing.
        I smiled and turned back to Avery.
        Jacie was talking to her and they were laughing like they had been friends years rather than a few minutes.
        My smile widened, I was glad that she was making new friends but at the same time there was another hint of jealously that I felt. Why was she talking to Jacie and not me?
        I just shook my head and went back to talking with my friends. I glanced at her one more time to see her smiling at one of the other tables. Feeling jealous again, I glared over at the table and saw a new girl along with Nico sitting next to each other smiling and laughing.
        I raised an eyebrow; Nico wasn’t one to smile.
        Looking back at Avery she smiled then went back to talking to Jacie until everyone was done eating.
        We all turned to Chiron when he stomped a hoof on the ground to get our attention. He turned to Mr. D when everyone’s eyes were on him.
        Chiron rolled his eyes when he saw Mr. D. playing a portable Pac-Man game.
        “Mr. D.” Chiron said patiently. “Mr. D?” He repeated again, this time louder making Mr. D jump and all of us to laugh only to shut up instantly when the wine God glared at us all. Chiron nodded and Mr. D sighed then regretfully put his game down, and stood up.
        “I suppose I should tell you all hello,” He said rolling his eyes when he got up there. He continued on talking about how things would go that week. Chiron gestured for Avery and the new girl from the Hades table to come up.
        When I looked over at Avery her eyes widened with terror.
        “Go on.” Jacie said, and Avery turned to her, shaking her head fearfully.
        “Don’t worry.” Jacie said, putting a hand on her shoulder and giving her an encouraging smile. “You’ll do fine.”
        Avery took a shaky breath and walked up to stand by Chiron and the other girl. Chiron put a hand on her shoulder while the other girl squeezed her hand while they waited for Mr. D to announce them.
        “Now that we have that covered with.” Mr. D said in a bored tone. “I suppose I should introduce you to another one of our campers. Personally I couldn’t care less, it’s just another one you brats that I have to watch but I still have to do it, but welcome Ariel Harty.” He said completely enthusiastically.
        I clenched my first at how rude he was. If he weren’t a God I would knock him straight in the head!
        Chiron sighed and leaned in then whispered something in Mr. D’s ear.
       “Er, Avery Hawkins.” Mr. D corrected and Chiron gently pushed Avery forwards. Her eyes widened and stood stiff as a board. I caught her eye and gave her smile and a thumbs up. Her expression lessoned a little bit and she looked back at the crowd looking more confident. I kept my eyes on her trying to keep her confident but it was a huge bonus to just stare at her and memorize her. My eyes started to train down her body length but I snapped them back up a pink blush on my cheeks. What was I doing?
         Immediately I stared back at her face, forcing my eyes to stay there. 
        “We also have a ghost, a servant of Lord Hades himself, staying in the Hades cabin as well. Grey is her name…” Mr. D paused, “I think. Now,” Mr. D said not caring, “Say hello, welcome them to camp, make sure Avery doesn’t get killed and all that. Blah, blah, blah, now go get to your stupid camp fire.” He said, dismissing.
        Avery quickly rushed down the steps and back towards the Hermes cabin.
        She was shaking when she finally reached us and Jacie walked over to her and hugged her, “See? It wasn’t that bad.” Jacie told her.
        “It was still bad.” Avery frowned and Jacie laughed then took her hand, dragging her towards the camp fire.
        “Come on, we’ve got to go to the camp fire! I want to introduce you to a few of the other girls.” Jacie said. Avery laughed and let Jacie drag her to the camp fire.  
        I smiled at them as I watched them run off. My stomach did a little flip when Avery looked back and mouthed, ‘You coming?’ I just nodded my head, smiling, and Jacie dragged her away but not without Avery looking back at me one more time.