Chapter 57

Avery’s POV

            It was already past dinner and I hardly caught sight of Luke. When I did, he was always rushing about and looking really busy so I didn’t want to approach him.

            “What is he even doing?” I asked Thalia while we were walking towards the campfire, Luna by my side. Luckily, Luna hadn’t had any problems and was really friendly around most of the campers, immediately listening to me if she wasn’t.

            Thalia’s lips curved slightly in a smile but as soon as it was there, it was gone. I wondered if I even saw it. The only thing that made me know that it was there is that all my friends kept acting like there was some huge secret and I was the only one that didn’t know about it!

            “He’s busy, Avery.” Thalia responded, monotone. It kinda surprised me that she knew exactly who ‘he’ was but then again I have been obsessing over him the whole day.

            “With what?” I asked, catching sight of him then only to have him disappear. I sighed.

            “Probably camp stuff.” Thalia shrugged, “I don’t really care what he’s doing.”

            “I do.” I whispered so no one could hear me but unfortunately Luna did.

            Luna looked at me, her head tilted. “Who is it you’re talking about?” She asked.

            “Later.” I whispered and she looked annoyed that I wasn’t going to tell her at the moment, pouting as she walked.

            It was silent while Thalia and I walked, Thalia left to her own thoughts and me left to obsess over Luke. I was so busy in my thoughts that I didn’t realize Luna’s ears perk up, hearing something. Still wrapped in my own world I nearly had a heart attack when Annabeth came up and grabbed my shoulders, my thoughts shattering like a glass window getting hit with a baseball.

            I screamed when she scared me and held my heart, trying to slow my heart rate while Annabeth was laughing uncontrollably, holding her side. “Gods, Annabeth!” I said, “You nearly scared me to Tartarus and back!”

            “Gods you’re face!” Annabeth laughed harder while even Thalia cracked a smile.

            Rolling my eyes at the both of them I patted Luna’s head, “Come on girl, let’s leave these two weirdo’s behind.” Luna barked and we started to walk away while Thalia called back at us.

            “Takes a weirdo to know one!” She yelled while I just turned around, walking backwards with a smirk on my face.

            “You just admitted you’re a weirdo!” I called back at her then turned while I heard Thalia swear and Annabeth only laughed harder, falling to the ground and holding her stomach- she as after all 11.