Chapter 88

Avery's POV

Once I finished praying, which was hard to do with all the resentment I felt with Artemis, I took my time walking back.

Thalia was already back where we had first had the idea to pray when I arrived. When she heard me coming, she turned. "Anything?" She asked eagerly. I shook my head and Thalia sighed,"Me neither."

"What are we going to do?" I sighed hopelessly.

"Not all prayers are answered at once," Thalia reminded, but she seemed more like she was reminding herself.

"Maybe Luke got something?" I offered.

Thalia scoffed. "We both know he didn't even pray to his dad."

I couldn't help but have my shoulders sag, knowing she was right.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Luke coming towards us. I turned, grinning but frowned when I saw his face. "What's wrong?"

He glanced up at me, "Hermes." He growled then shoved something to Thalia; money. "Here." Without offering an other explanation, he stormed towards the airport doors, swinging them open and having them slam shut makin Thalia and I flinch.

Both of us were shocked, not even speaking. It took Thalia and I awhile to finally start to move again, and tear our grip away from the doors.

Thalia looked down at the money, counting it. "We have more than enough." She awed. "How did he..." She trailed off, looking in the direction where Luke had gone.

She seemed like she didn't want to question I and instead waved for me. "Come on."

Walking into the airport was a whole new experience.

I had never been on a plane in my life so the whole thing was a new experience. Luke made fun of me, telling me i was acting like a little kid when i started going off about how big the planes were. Thalia didn't say a word unless she was spoken to and even then it was quick and straight to the point. Oddly, she looked around to airport almost frightened, an emotion I had never seen from her. I concluded she must be jittery and nervous for the quest.

The three of us managed to make it through all right until we left security. Even though we were doing nothing wrong. I was on edge the entire time, so when someone grabbed my arm, i screamed and from instinct, hit my wrists together, my daggers extending with my eyes wild.

With his hands up, the guard took a step back.

I started to panic, realizing what i had done and scrambled to hit my wrists together and act normal when they were back into bracelets. "Hi," I managed to say, faking a smile while my heart beat a million miles per hour.

Once he had looked around the airport, his eyes narrowed before he grabbed me, Thalia and Luke, guiding us into a room. We weren't put in harshly, but he was still stern. As soon as we were all in, he closed the door, and stood in front of it, blocking our escape.

"Don't worry," Luke whispered. "the Mist should conceal the weapons."

"I hope you kids know that weapons aren't allowed in the airport."

Luke swore.

My heart sank, my mind whirling to come up with an excuse but i went blank. Thankfully, Thalia came to my rescue.

"You must have seen wrong," She started, her brows furrowed from concentration hard, trying to bend the mist.

"Nice try kid," He cut her off, hitting her hand aside and disrupting the mist. "I know that trick. I'm not stupid enough to not have seen her daggers," He jerked his head to me, "And his sword at his side."