Chapter 5

Avery's POV

Finally seventh period was here! My first day of a new school was almost over!

Grover and I walked to history while Grover told me about the teacher. "Mr. Morris is so awesome! He always teaches cool lessons and-" He continued rambling on and on about the teacher and I listened intently but when we walked into the room I was definitely surprised at what I saw.

At the front of the classroom he stood with a suit on and had rounded glasses as well as long curly brown hair. He had stern eyes and a serious expression. He would have been pretty normal except for the fact that he was five foot zero.

When Grover was telling me about him, I thought he was going to be some intimidating teacher that always gave you lots of homework but he turned out to be... well, not what I expected.

When the bell ran Mr. Morris started writing on the board. "Hello class. I'm Mr. Morris and I'll be your history teacher. Now for the main part of this history class we will be learning about mythology because it's a very important part of our culture today. If you don't like it," He turned around and gestured to the door, "Leave. I won't mark you absent. If you don't want to learn, don't come."

I rose an eyebrow. What was this guy doing?

A few of the kids actually got up and left but most of the class stayed.

Mr. Morris looked around then nodded. "Alright so today we will be starting on the first 12 Gods and Goddess of Olympus. Who knows who they are?" He looked around, "Anyone?"

I looked around too but no one was raising their hands.

Finally a hand shot up in the front of the class. "Yes..." Mr. Morris looked at the roll call list, "Whitney."

"I only know Aphrodite because she's really pretty." She said snobbishly and I rolled my eyes; typical.

Mr. Morris looked disappointed but nodded at her. "Anyone know any of the other?" He looked around and still no one raised their hands. He sighed and looked at his role call list again. "How about...Grover. Grover, are you here?"

Grover's eyes widened. Everyone turned to look at him and his cheeks turned a dark shade of red. He scooted to the edge of his chair, as if he was trying to disappear and muttered, "The twelve Gods and Goddess are: Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Ares, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Hephaestus, Aphrodite, Hermes and Dionysus."

I looked at Grover, "How do you know that?"

He glanced over at me sheepishly, "I'm kinda a nerd when it comes to mythology."

"If you like it so much why didn't you raise your hand?"

"If you get into this kind of things you get marked down as even more of a target." He said shrugging. "I'm already of the top bully list."

"That's awful." I said horrified. "If you like something you should be able to express it without getting bullied for it!"

Grover laughed and it sounded kind of like a goat, which I thought was really weird but hey, don't judge right? "If only that was true, Avery." Grover laughed, "But thanks for your concern."

We both turned out heads when we heard Mr. Morris giving us a stern look. "Sorry," Both Grover and I muttered.

Mr. Morris nodded his head in acceptance and continued on the lesson. "The three major Gods were Zeus, Hades and Poseidon." He said and started to write their names down on the board with a line under their name. "Who knows what, the 'big three', as they are called, are the gods of?"

Again, no one answered. I looked over at Grover to see if he were going to answer it but he just had his eyes wide and shook his head.

Sighing I raised my hand. "Zeus is the Lord of the skies and king of the Gods. Poseidon rules over the seas and earthquakes. And Hades is the Ruler of the Underworld."

Mr. Morris looked impressed. "And what, young lady, are their symbols of power?"

I thought for a minute, scratching through my memory. "Zeus' symbol is his lightning bold, Poseidon's is his trident, and Hades is..... The helm of darkness?"

Someone in the front fake coughed, "Nerd!" The people snickered while Mr. Morris ignored them and nodded in my direction approvingly.

Grover turned to me, looking even more impressed than I was with him. "Now it's my turn to ask you, how do you know that?"

Shrugging I answered, "I do a lot of reading. My-ah-friend and I study Greek Mythology a lot.."

For the third time today Grover looked confused. "This doesn't make any since." He muttered and rubbed his hands with his temples. He looked up at me and asked a question that I wasn't expecting. "Are you ADHD or dyslexic?"

It kinda surprised me so I blinked a few times before answering. "Both."

Grover suddenly looked really interested in this but for what I had no idea. I didn't really want to question him about what he was thinking about so instead I paid attention to the lesson.

When the school bell finally rung, everyone hopped out of their seats and bolted towards the door. Unlike the last classes, everyone wanted to get away from the school.

Grover and I made our way to our lockers then later the bus.

We talked until it was our bus stop and we had to get off. "I'll see you tomorrow, Grover." I said when we were going separate ways.

He smiled. "See you later Avery."

I waved one more time then headed off 'home' to the orphanage. Just thinking about it made me sigh.