Chapter 16

Avery’s POV
            Eventually I calmed down and was able to enjoy the tour of camp. It was truly incredible. They had a horse stable, an arena, arts and craft room, volleyball courts, a theater, an armory, the forges, the mess hall; they even had a rock climbing wall, only weird part about that was that it had lava that scorched you if you didn’t make it up as fast as you were supposed to, that didn’t sound very fun to me.
            Besides the buildings in the camp, there was a huge strawberry field and the huge area of woods. Grover told me to stay clear of those unless a skilled demigod was with me. I didn’t really know why it freaked him out but I agreed.
            While we were taking the tour a couple of kids waved at us, but I never got to actually meet any of them.
            We were walking to the last part of the tour and I realized how much my feet hurt. It seemed like we were only on the tour for a few minutes, because of my ADHD, when in reality we were on the tour for a few hours.
            Grover led us to a huge circle of cabins.
            There were thirteen cabins in all and they were put in a U shape with two at the base and five in a row on the right and six on the other side. Each of the cabins had a huge brass number right next to the door. Odds were on the left and evens were on the right. 
            You wouldn’t think that cabins could be strange but I had never seen cabins quite like these.
            “The cabins are where the campers stay.” Grover explained, “Depending on who your Godly parent is, you stay in their cabin. For example if you were a child of Demeter, you would go in the Demeter cabin.”
            “What about kids that haven’t been claimed?” I asked.
            “I’ll tell you when we get there. We’ll head there last. Right now though, I’ll show you cabin 1.” Grover said and we walked to the two cabins on the base of the U.
            Cabin number 1 was made of marble that was so clear, you could see your reflection. There were huge columns that held the building. The bronze double doors had the same glossy feel only if you tilted your head it looked like bolts of lightning was shooting across it. Above the door was a symbol of an eagle with a lightning bolt behind it. Inside I could hear thundering.      “Zeus?” I asked.
             “Right.” Grover nodded. “You can go in if you want.”
            I nodded and walked it to have the thunder get louder since I was inside. My eyes widened as I saw how huge the building was! It didn’t look very big on the outside but inside it was huge! There was a statue of Zeus in the center of the room with the same marble floor. It had stormy grey curtains and a sky blue ceiling. There were only about 4 beds in the whole place, two on one side, and two on the other. They both had yellow bedspreads, blue sheets, and yellow and grey pillows. I saw a trunk at the end of the beds, just like at the orphanage, and a bathroom in the back. Only one of the beds looked used while the others were crisp and looked like they hadn’t been touched. There was furniture in the building as well, that followed the same color scheme.
            “Why are there only four beds?” I asked.
            “The big Three didn’t have very many kids.” Grover explained shrugging. “They were usually too busy with their duties so they only have a couple of children. So far there are only 2 of them known: Talia daughter of Zeus, and Nico son of Hades. You’ll probably meet them later.”
            “Let’s move on to the next cabin,” I said.
            Grover led me to the second cabin to the right.
            It was also marble but looked more white and graceful looking with slim columns instead of huge thick ones. It had pomegranates and flowers on the outside. The walls had peacocks on them as well as the doors but above the door it had two rings intertwined and a peacock behind them. “Hera.” I said then walked into the building.
            Just like the other cabin it was bigger than it looked. There was a huge statue of Hera but other than that, there wasn’t anything in the cabin; just the colors white and gold. “Her cabin is more honorary, right?” Grey guessed and Grover nodded.
            “Hera is the goddess of marriage so she doesn’t have affairs with mortals.”
            We stared at it for a while until Grey raised her hand in a ‘charge’ motion and said, “On to the next one!” And walked out with Grover and I laughing and followed behind her.
            Grey went to the other right cabins so that meant that we saw the female cabins first. The next cabin was number 4; Demeter.
The whole cabins outside was covered in flowers and tomato plants grew on the walls and doorway. Wild flowers and roses grew on the porch and had a real grass roof! The cabin was colored a light shade of brown. Above the door was a picture of wheat and a mouse.
            There was a girl that was trying to help a wilting tomato grow but every time she waved her hand and concentrated, it would grow green but as soon as her eyes opened the plant would writher back up. “Di immortals!” She muttered sounding upset.
 “Hey Katie!” Grover called.
            The girl, Katie, turned and smiled brightly when she saw us. “Hey Grover! Who are the two girls?” She when she saw us.
            “New campers,” Grover responded and gestured to me then Grey, “This is Avery and Grey.” Both Grey and I waved when our names were called.
            “Cool.” Katie said, “So do you guys know who your parent is?”
            I was about to say no when suddenly a glowing light came above Grey’s head. Glowing above Grey’s head was a symbol of a skull.
            My eyes widened while Grover and Katie smiled.
            “Looks like you’ve been claimed.” Katie announced.
            “T-that’s in possible.” Grey stuttered. “I’m a Spiritus. I’m just one of Lord Hades servants.”
            I turned to Grey with a questioning look on my face. Why didn’t she tell me that? She gave me another ‘tell you later’ look and I pouted.
            “You can still be claimed even if you’re a servant Hades.” Grover shrugged. “He must think that you’re important to claim you.”
            “I guess.” Grey said looking a little honored.
            “That’s cool.” Katie said, “I guess you’ll be staying with Nico then right?”
            “Who’s Nico?” I asked.
            “He’s a son of Hades. You probably won’t see him for a while. He doesn’t come to camp very often.”
            “Oh right, Grover mentioned him.”
            Katie nodded. “So have you been claimed yet?”
            A wave of sadness engulfed me, “No, not yet.”
            “Bummer. Well I hope you find out soon.”
            I smiled, “Me too.”
            “Do you think you’re a Demeter child?”
            I shrugged, “I don’t know. I’m still wrapping my head around all this. I haven’t really thought of who my parent could be.”
            “I can understand that.” Katie said sympathetically. “I remember my first time at camp. If you ever want someone to talk to, just come on over.”
            “Thanks, Katie.” I said. “That means a lot.”
            “No problem.” Katie smiled and saw Grey staring at the door, “You guys are welcome to go in the cabin, if you’d like.”
            “Thanks Katie!” Grover said then we walked towards the door.
Katie went back to helping the plants and put her hands on her hip, trying to decide what to do with a wilting tomato plant.
            In the inside, there were a lot more beds. And a couple more people in the cabin but they just nodded at us and went back to their own business. The beds were all bunk beds and had their trunks on the edge of the bed as well but the top bunk but the top trunk had a bottom under it, so it wouldn’t fall on someone and would stay in place. I realized later that the rest of the cabins had this same thing.
            The cabin was a light brown, and dark green color scheme but had some splashed of flower colors too.
            Next was cabin 6. The outside was a gray and had a design of an owl over the door. The inside surprised me by how the bunk beds were shoved up against the walls as if sleep wasn’t important. There were tons of desks and maps, as well as books. There were a few kids in there that were either reading or drawing building sketches. It looked like a nerd heaven.
The color scheme was white, blue and grey. “Athena.” I said to myself then we moved on to the next Goddess’s cabin.
            Cabin 8 was a silver building with silver curtains. “It glows silver during the night.” Grover said, “It reflects the moon.”
            “So it’s Artemis’s cabin, right?” I asked and he nodded.
            I continued to study the cabin. There was a symbol of a deer as well as the moon and a silver arrow above the door. To the side of the cabin there was a little grass lot that had dog bowls and chains which Grover explained that they were for the wolfs that the Hunters had. He also explained who the Hunters were too.
  In the inside there were beds but not a single one looked like it was in use. “This one is kind of honorary too.” Grover said. “Artemis is a virgin Goddess so she doesn’t have kids. It’s really only here for honorary and for the Hunters when they visit camp.”
            The color scheme was silver and white, rather plan but it was still beautiful. The ceiling folded away so you could see the stars at night and I could only imagine how gorgeous it was at night.
            The next cabin was cabin number 10 and immediately I crinkled my nose at the sight of it. The cabin looked like a Barbie owned it and had a little too much time and materials on her hands. The outside had a blue pained roof and pillars, a cheer board deck with steps and gray walls on the outside. Even from where I stood I could smell the heavily scented perfume.
            The inside was just as bad with pink walls that had millions of poster on them of who people thought were hot along with a mirror at almost every corner. The window had white trim and the lace curtains were pastel blue and green that matched the sheets and feather comforters on all the beds Surprisingly the inside of the cabin was spotless! Even the boy’s side of the room was clean.
            There were a few girls in the bathroom, replying their makeup while some of the guys were arguing what pants were in and what pants were out of season. That was weird.
            As quickly as I walked in, I walked out and on to the side of the God’s cabins.
            Poseidon’s cabin was next, marked as number 3.
 It was a long, low building with windows that all faced the ocean. The cabin was made from rough sea stone and pieces of coral and seashells were embedded into the outside walls. The doors looked like they were made of pearls and a huge trident symbol was above the door with water in the background. You could hear the ocean like you could hear it in a shell. There was also a crisp ocean breeze that flowed around the cabin’s radius.
            In the inside, the walls were sea blue while images of waves flowed around them like holograms. There were only 4 beds, like Zeus’s, and the color scheme was lots of sea blue, sea green and a pearly color. There was a salt water fountain to the side of the room next to the bathroom and a statue of Poseidon in the middle of the room.
            “Why aren’t there any other statues in the other cabins?” I asked Grover.
Both him and Grey had stayed silent unless Grey had a question or Grover answered something and I appreciated it because it was nice to study everything without people always talking.
            “It’s more for the main Gods: Hades, Zeus and Poseidon. Hera has one too because she’s the queen of the Gods. The rest of the cabins don’t have enough room.”
            I nodded as we walked out and on to the next cabin.
            When we approached cabin 5, I could hear the rock music blaring from it. The cabin was brutally painted blood red and had a huge boar’s head mounted on the door instead of a symbol above the door. There was barbed wire on the fence and an aura that made me want to punch someone.
            Reluctantly, I walked inside and saw that there was a huge line of weapons that were on the wall like trophies. Color scheme was black and red. I saw one look from a couple of mean looking kids but I didn’t really see anything else because I left before I could look around more. That cabin scared me.
            “Whose cabin was that?” I asked Grover when we were walking away.
            He gulped. “Ares.”
            I got the ‘duh’ moment in my head. I really should pay more attention. That cabin completely framed the god of war.
            What if he’s your Godly parent? I asked myself but immediately shook it off. There was no way he was my parent.
            “Can we-uh- go to the next cabin now?” Grey asked and both Grover and I nodded quickly agreeing.
            When we walked over to the next cabin I suddenly wished I had sunglasses. Cabin number 7 was almost too bright to look at it.
            The cabin was solid gold and was glowing like the sun. It had three symbols above the door, an arrow, the sun and a lyre. Apollo. I thought to myself. It had to be. His sacred color was gold and there were suns carved into the outside of the cabin along with little musical notes.
            I walked in and saw lots of bunk beds but I saw even more instruments and sports gear. There was a basketball jersey that was framed above someone’s bed and a few weapons laid out but not nearly as many as in the Ares cabin.
The color scheme was literally just gold and a few parts of white and black. No one was in the cabin and Grover explained that they were all practicing for an upcoming concert.
            When we finally came to the next cabin, cabin number 9, it reminded me of a small factory.
            It was a brick building with smokestacks at the top with steam puffing out of them. The door had tons of gears and tools carved into it and the symbol above the door was a hammer and a flame in the background. “Hephaestus.” Grey said.
            We walked in to find the whole place an absolutely junk area.        
            Tools, gears, wadded up pieces of paper, and tons of other things, were heaped on the ground. The Aphrodite cabin could sure help these guys out when it comes to cleaning.
            A really buff looking kid was scribbling away on a piece of paper while a few of the kids pointed out things they needed to add on to whatever he was sketching the plans for. The rest of the kids were either fiddling with tools or taking a broken sword and headed off to the forges to get it all fixed up.
            The beds were all fold up bunk beds and had LED lights blinking on a panel near their trunks.
            A fire pole was in the corner that led up to the second floor even though, on the outside, there didn’t appear to be one.
            The kids were too busy on their own projects to notice us, so we just continued to the next cabin.
            Grover wanted to skip cabin number 11 so we went to cabin 12 next.
            Grape vines grew on the roof and the cabin was painted a deep shade of purple.
            I shivered knowing whose cabin it was: Mr. D’s; Dionysus.
            “Let’s not go in this one.” I suggested and no one argued with me as we walked on to the next cabin.
            Cabin number 13 was a windowless cabin made of obsidian with heavy columns that had green fire burning on top of them. The door was a huge black thing that had jewels imbedded in it.
            Above the door was a skull. That meant it must be Hades’ cabin.
            Grey smiled as we got closer and led us inside.