Chapter 25

Avery’s POV
            When I woke up, someone was shaking me. “What?” I asked groggily, trying to focus on them.
            “Come on,” a familiar voice said, that I recognized as Jacie. “You gotta get up now. We have to get ready for the day.”
            “Ugh,” I groaned and turned over away from Jacie and shoved a pillow in my face.
I heard Jacie laugh, “You’ve got 10 minutes or else we will be having breakfast without you.” Jacie called and left, shutting the door.
            Realizing that I really did need to get up, I grabbed my camp T-shirt and some jeans then headed to the bathroom and got ready.
            When I came out, I felt fully refreshed from my shower and fresh clothes along with my makeup. Of course, I didn’t hardly use any. Only mascara. Beauty wasn’t that important to me as it was other girls.
            I walked out of the cabin just in time to hear the horn blow that told everyone it was time for breakfast.
            Quickly, I jogged down there and saw the Hermes cabin sitting at the table. I ran a little faster and almost ran into Luke.
            Seeing him, rojogged the memories of last night and I started to blush furiously. “There you are.” Luke said. “I was just looking for you, but I guess you found me first.”
            I tried to hide the memory and look normal but my face was as red as a tomato. “Y-yeah,” I finally said, “I’m here.”
            “We better hurry then.” Luke said and took my hand and dragged me to the cabin, my cheeks only getting redder.
            When we got to the cabin table, I caught Grey’s eyes and she looked down at Luke and I’s hand. Her eyes widened then she looked at me, impressed. I immediately took my hand from his and blushed shaking my head at her but she just gave me one of those ‘sure’ looks and mouthed, ‘We’ll talk later.’
            I mentally groaned and went over to sit by Jacie, avoiding Luke at all costs. It was just so awkward I didn’t know if he liked me or if we were just friends or-ugh- boys are so complicated.
            Finally, breakfast finished and we were able to have an hour before training.
            I decided that I wanted to go visit Grey and explain things to her but before I could get there a large girl, along with two other mean looking girls, stood in my way. “What do we have here?” The largest girl sneered.
            “Looks like it’s the newbie.” Another girl smirked evilly.
            “Y-yeah,” I said frightened. “I’m Avery.”
            “We know who you are,” The first girl said, “I’m Clarisse, daughter of Ares but by the time I’m done with you, you probably won’t even remember who you are.”
            My eyes widened and I looked at the other girls who were cracking their knuckles. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Luke and Jacie running to help me.
            When they finally came, Luke stood to my right while Jacie stood to my left. “Come on Clarisse, just let her go.” Jacie said clenching her fists.
            “No way! We’ve got a special ‘ceremony’ for the newbies.” She smirked.
            “W-what’s the ‘ceremony’?” I asked.
            Clarisse grinned evilly. “Oh you’ll love it. You get a hair wash.”
“I-I already had a shower.” I said shakily, not understanding what they were meaning.
“Oh trust me, you need another one.” She grabbed me and I yelped in surprise.
She dragged me to a building that I immediately recognized as one of the bathrooms.  I glanced back at me to see the two other girls bringing Luke and Jacie along but making sure they couldn’t help me.
“Please,” I said, trying to sound confident. “You don’t want to do that.”
She kept walking so I continued. “Come on, Clarisse, you don’t really want to give me the ‘ceremony’ do you?”
Clarisse stopped and had a confused look in her eyes but she was still holding me by my shirt.
“Hey, Clarisse!” One of the girls yelled. “What are you doing?”
“Please, come on Clarisse.” I continued. “Just put me down and walk away.” I pleaded again and she just got more of a dazed look in her eyes.
I heard Jacie gasp but I was too focused on not trying to find out what the inside of the toilets looked like.
Before I could ask what that was Clarisse started to mutter, “Just put her down.”
“Yes,” I said quickly. “Just let me down. You don’t want to do anything to me.”
Clarisse stopped and dropped me on the ground. “Now tell them to let go of Luke and Jacie.” I told her and she turned over to them and told them to let them go.
“But Clarisse-” One of the girls said but Clarisse shut her up with a huge glare. Immediately they let go of Luke and Jacie.
When Luke and Jacie were released they both ran over to me. “Hurry, we had better leave!” Jacie said and grabbed my arm pulling me away.
We all jogged to the cabin and Luke asked me, “How did you do that?”
“Do what?”
“She was charm speaking.” Jacie said.
“What’s that?” I asked.
“Children of Aphrodite sometimes get blessed and have the gift of charm speaking. They can basically convince you to do anything.”
“So you mean I’m a child of Aphrodite?” I asked horrified.
“We can’t be sure until you’re claimed but most likely.” Luke said. 
I stopped jogging and thought about that. I did not like how that sounded. How could I be a daughter to her?
“There is still a chance I’m not her daughter right?” I asked hopefully.
            Jacie and Luke looked at each other, “Slight.” Luke doubtfully. “But I wouldn’t depend on it too much.”
            I tried to hide my disappointment. I mean I just- it wasn’t possible was it? There was no way that I could be a child of Aphrodite, they were all concerned about makeup and I had no desire with any of that stuff.
            “Hey,” Jacie said, “Think of it as a good thing. Some of the campers never get claimed so maybe this will make you be claimed faster?”
            “I-I guess.” I said.
            “Well, we have training in about 5 minutes so why don’t we just walk there now?” Luke suggested.
            Both Jacie and I shrugged. “Why not.” Jacie said.
            We started to walk to the building when Jacie suddenly slapped her hand on her head. “Shoot! We forgot to get you a weapon!”
            “Don’t worry,” Luke assured her, “Since we’ll be earlier, we can find one for her.”
            Jacie nodded and we continued on.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
A/N: How am I doing guys? Does this sound like all the characters? Comment!  Thanks so much guys!
            -Breann