Chapter 36

Avery’s POV
            As soon as Grover came into the picture, Luke was acting really weird. I don’t know what was wrong but I could see the anger along with plenty of other things. There were so many emotions that it was hard to tell exactly one.  I didn’t know what he was so angry about but I knew that it wasn’t good and I knew better than to ask about it.
            Grover left because apparently only people from the Hermes cabin could practice so I said goodbye to him and he quickly left. Luke’s grip tightened on my waist and I blushed again. For some reason Luke was staying really close to me and I couldn’t think straight. I still don’t have a crush on him because I hardly met him, but I still think he’s really cute.
            Luke finally let go of my waist letting me let out a breath that I didn’t know I was holding. I was so awkward when I came to guys. I didn’t know wither to smile, to laugh, to talk. I was absolutely clueless when it came to guys. Sure tons of them like me but it was different, I never liked them so I wasn’t so nervous and scared. I always just politely turned them down but Luke… he was different.
            While I was zooned in my own thoughts Luke’s voice broke me from them. “You ready?” He asked handing out a bow and a quiver for me.
            I nodded. “As ready as I’ll ever be.” I said then took the bow and slung the quiver over my back. I felt really comfortable with the quiver on my back and the bow felt really good in my hands. It just gave me a sense of relief, though I don’t know why.
            Grabbing an arrow from my quiver, I knocked it in my bow and pulled the string back to my mouth and aimed. I closed one eye and was about to shoot but something- or rather someone- distracted me.
            Luke came on my left side and came really close to me watching my every move. A blush formed on my cheek because if he leaned forward just a centimeter, our bodies would be touching. I could already feel the heat from his body.
            My breathing became uneven and I started to lose my focus. I shook my head, trying to snap out of it but he was too close to have my thoughts be washed away so easily. I was just about to shoot the arrow when Luke traced a finger down my left arm. Surprised by his action, I jumped and shot the arrow having it soar through the air and hit an apple that a nearby satyr was eating. The satyr’s eyes widened and looked over at me, stunned. “ I am so sorry!” I yelled, feeling awful that I almost just killed him.
            Luke chuckled and my blush deepened as I turned my head to see Luke still standing close to me smiling. He reached forward and took my bow, letting me drop my hands to my sides. Luke reached back and grabbed an arrow from his quiver and knocked it in the bow then handed it back to me.
            “Show me the position you shoot in,” Luke said, “Don’t shoot yet.”
            I nodded, shakily, still blushing, but strung the bow back until the string touched my lips. My body was turned to the right while I had my left foot in front and right foot in back. I turned my head to Luke silently asking him if this was right.
            Without giving me an answer he stepped forward and put his hands on mine where they were on the bow and string. He guided my hands and stepped extremely close to me. His torso was touching my back and I could feel his hot breath tickle my neck making me shiver. He smirked but only pulled me closer.
            “Just like this.” Luke whispered in my ear, after he raised my arms slightly. “Now let go.” He whispered.
            I let go of the string and it flew straight to the target. It wasn’t a bull’s eye but last time I wasn’t even close to the target.
            A smile covered my face as I turned to Luke’s face then the arrow.
            I was ready for him to drop my hands and move away but instead his hands slowly slid down from mine, trailing down my arms and down my sides until they reached my waist. A blush covered my face. Luke’s lips brushed my ear, making me shiver, and he whispered, “Good job.”
            Biting my lip I said, “Thanks.”
            We stayed that way while I was blushing and Luke just seemed to be enjoying himself. He leaned forward and bushed his lips on my neck and I bit my lip and shivered. He was about to kiss my neck but we heard a little girl pout and say, “Luke! I need help!”
            Luke slowly pulled his face away from me and undid his arms around me, making me wish he was still close to me. “I’ve got to help some of the younger kids now.” He said and I just nodded shyly, looking down at my feet.
            “Anytime you need help with archery,” Luke started and I looked up to see his blue eyes sparkling mischievously and a smirk on his face. “Just ask.” He winked and jogged away leaving me biting my lip and looking like a tomato.
            I stood there for a minute until I finally was out of my daze. I shook my head, trying to forget how close Luke was to me.
            Pulling back the string, I aimed again and shot at the target hitting the target right in the middle. I dropped the bow a little and smiled at the arrow, impressed with myself.
            “Good shot, Avery.” A male voice said and I looked over to see a boy smiling at me. I think his name was Chris.
            “Thanks.” I said and he nodded then continued to practice.
            I put another arrow in, aimed and then let the arrow fly. Once again the arrow hit the bull’s eye. I tried again and again and every time, I hit the middle of the target. Wanting to try something I pulled another arrow back and aimed. Letting go, I saw the arrow soar towards another arrow, that already stuck in the bull’s-eye, and split the arrow in half.
            “Holy Hades!” Chris said, walking over to me wide eyed. “How long have you been doing archery for?”
            “Um… today?”
            His eyes widened even more, “Serious?” I nodded and he looked back at the arrow and then back to me. “You could be an Apollo kid then. Like wow, that was amazing.”
            “Thanks.” I said shyly.
            He nodded and smiled widely. “I might need to come to you for help now, instead of the Apollo kids.”
            I laughed. Then Chris said, “Or I can always ask Luke.” He raised his eyebrows up and down, “I saw what he was doing to you.” I blushed and looked away, embarrassed. “He likes you, ya know.” Chris said.
            “I don’t know about that….” I told him and he just rolled his eyes.
            “I don’t need to be a child of Aphrodite to know that he likes you.”
            Smiling I turned to him. “Alright Chris. I get it.”
            He smiled. “I’m just saying.” He called over his shoulder and walked away to practice again. I knocked another arrow and starting to practice as well but one thought was on my mind. Does he like me?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
 A/N: What do you guys think? Let me know! 
       -Breann