Chapter 62

Avery’s POV

            I swallowed hard when I reached the big house door. Looking up at it I took one deep breath and knocked on the door. Seconds after, Chiron answered the door, his lips pressed together in a line. He moved so that I could walk in then closed the door right after me, a lock clicking into place.

            My heart was beating quickly and I could hear the blood roaring in my ears while I walked in. “Take a seat.” Chiron said in monotone and I did as I was told. The centaur grabbed his wheelchair and slowly lowered his lower half into the wheelchair until he looked like a human without any capability of moving his legs. He wheeled himself in front of me and handed me a glass of lemonade which I took with shaky hands.

            Chiron sat in front of me, his hand rubbing his chin and mouth as if contemplating how to start this conversation. It was silent for over a minute or two, which only made me more nervous. “Chiron?” I finally asked making him look up at me with worried brown eyes. “Do you know what’s happening to me?” I asked.

            He closed his eyes tightly, his hand over his face again. “As hard as this is for me, Avery, I cannot tell you exactly what is happening to you. I am here for you to help you along your path as a demigod, but this is not something that I can help you with.”

            “Why not?” I asked, setting my lemonade down. I didn’t think my stomach could handle anything at the moment.

            Chiron took a deep breath before answering, his words sounding as though he was choosing them carefully. “Have you ever heard of swearing on the river Styx?”

            I shook my head. “Not really.”

            “Well,” Chiron sighed, “The River Styx is located in the Underworld and is a sacred river in Greek history.”

            “Isn’t that the river that Achilles was dipped in? It made him like invincible right? Except his heel.”

            Chiron’s eyes shut tight as if the topic of Achilles was painful. It was only later that I realized that Chiron must have taught him. After all he taught all the other famous demigods. “That is correct.” Chiron said, “If you swear on the river, you are making an oath or a promise. This promise, however, is not one that you take lightly. Breaking this promise will result in you having severe punishment from the Gods and the Fates as well. Breaking that promise will be more torturous than anything you would be able to experience in the Fields of Punishment. Swearing on the river Styx is a promise that is very serious. Unfortunately, in this matter of what is going on with you right now., I cannot say,” I started to argue but he held up his hand to let him continue, “I cannot tell you because, I have sworn on the river Styx not to talk of it with anyone, especially you.”

            Speechless I sat there breathing heavily. “Chiron,” I pleaded, “I need to know what’s happening to me.”

            A deep, long, existed sigh came from the centaur. “I will tell you what I can.” Chiron said softly nodding his head towards me and a smile of hopefulness came on my face. “You know that many Demigods, based on their parent, have certain skills.” He started. “Children of Athena, are very smart and have battle strategies that are well thought out and almost always work. Hermes children, have a knack for stealing things and for deceiving. Children of Zeus can control lightning, Ares kids can easily handle any weapon, Demeter’s children can grow things, Children of Apollo can sing very well. Hephaestus children have a skill for fixing and building things; the list goes on and on.”