Chapter 7

Avery’s POV
            We sat on my bed, facing each other so we could see the other’s face.
            “So….” Grey said excitedly. “Are there any cute guys at the school?”
            I knew this would be her first question. She always asked about guys even though I had no interest in them. Sure I thought some were cute but I knew they would just end up hated me sooner or later. Everyone did.
            “Grey, you really need to come up with a new topic.” I told her.
            She rolled her eyes, not believing me. “Come on! Nothing? Not even one?”
            “Not a single one.” I told her.
            Again she rolled her eyes. “Give me your hands.” She ordered me.
            This time it was my turn to roll my eyes. Grey and I were so close that when she touched me she could feel my thoughts and emotions and see my memories. What really sucked is that she could do all that to me but I couldn’t do any of it to her. I tried to see her memories but all I got was a blank page.
            I held out my hands and Grey took them, closing her eyes.
            When Grey finally opened her eyes she looked disappointed. “That Rick guy was cute.”
            “But he was a jerk.” I pointed out and she nodded sadly.
            “I don’t think there is a decent hot guy that has a nice personality.” She pouted. I laughed, agreeing with her but she wasn’t done talking. “Well at least you made a friend on the first day. Grover seems nice.”
            “Yeah he is.” I agreed, nodding my head. “He’s kinda strange though but-” I was going to finished but someone walked into the room: Tayler. I closed my eyes and sighed frustrated.
            “What are you doing Avery? Talking to your little imaginary friend?” She mocked. “I don’t even think you have an imaginary friend. I mean who would want to be your friend?”
            Grey clenched her fists and was ready to jump on her but we both knew that it wouldn’t do anything. She couldn’t hurt anyone, she’d tried before. She had tried it before and absolutely nothing happened.
            Through gritted teeth I responded, “What do you want Tayler?”
            She smiled smugly at me. “Mrs. Gretcher wants you to come down for dinner. She said that you’ll be doing to dishes today too.”
            “It’s not my turn, it’s your duty to do the dishes today.” I argued.
            Tayler smirked at me. “Woops. Well how bout you do it both days?” She skipped off and shut the door behind her having a pillow hit the door after she had left.
            I looked over at Grey to see that she threw the pillow at the door, her eyes stormy. “I hate that girl!” Grey yelled. “If it wasn’t for the Mist I would send her straight to Ha-”
            “Mist?” I asked.
            Immediately after I said that her eyes went from angry, to frightened. “What? I never said anything about mist.” She said, but I could tell she was lying. Her whole body trembled and she eyes were wide. Grey probably glanced up at the sky a hundred times as if she expected something to fall on her. Eventually I started to look up, wondering what she was looking at, but say nothing.
            Her body relaxed and she looked at me again. “I said if I wouldn’t have missed. As in m-i-s-s-e-d.” She said and immediately my heart sank. She could have fooled me be she didn’t say ‘if I wouldn’t have missed.’ She said ‘if it wasn’t for the Mist.’
            I decided to let it go, even though it hurt that she was lying to me. “Um… I better go to dinner.” I said and got up to leave. I glanced back at Grey once more to see a broken expression on her face then I turned and raced down to dinner.