Chapter 38

Avery’s POV

            I quickly pulled the blanket over me and turned to face away from Luke. My cheeks were burning from the blush that was on them. I honestly don’t know why I did that! I mean I don’t regret it but that was so unlike me.

            Biting my lip, I thoughts about the current events with Luke since I came to Camp Half-Blood. Every time he came close to me or even when someone talked about him, I got butterflies in my stomach. I wanted to talk to him all day, but at the same time I didn’t because I might look stupid around him. My heart raced even when he glanced at me and every time he looked away it broke a little. I felt like when he looked at me I was on a cloud, it was the best feeling and I realized something.

I, Averill Rae Hawkins, had a crush on Luke Castellan son of Hermes.

            Even thinking about that made me blush.

            The whole hour, I ended up thinking too much about Luke and couldn’t sleep. Deciding that it wasn’t going to be able to go to sleep anytime soon, I climbed out of bed and snuck out of the cabin to the roof.

            I sat with my legs swinging off the edge, my silver eyes I overlooked the camp. I could see shadows moving in the woods. Like I’ve said before, I can see perfectly well in the dark. It was odd really because when it was dark, I saw better than I did in the daylight. I actually had a hard time seeing if it’s not at night. I should have glasses but Mrs. Gretcher never bothered taking me to the eye doctor so I managed. I mean it wasn’t just horrible, I could see and everything, I could just see exceptionally well in the dark.

            My bracelets glinted from the reflection of the moon and I hit them together to have the daggers extend in my hands. I looked them over. They were truly beautiful. Although I had only practiced one day with them, I felt like I could fight pretty well with them, probably even better than my sword. I looked more closely at them and muttered their names, “Twilight and Dawn.” I examined them until I hit my wrists and they transformed back into bracelets. Smiling at how cool that was, I examined the bracelet itself and found that the Greek names were carved on the bracelets as well making me smile.

            Laying down I stared at the stars and sighed contently, and watched them, thinking.

            So much had happened this past week. I had gone to a new school, met Grover, killed Mrs. Gretcher, was almost killed, dragged to Camp Half-Blood, learned about who I was, met new friends, and so much more that it made my head spin. I had so many questions that floated in my head but one stuck out the most.

            Who’s my Godly parent?

            Finding out that one of my parents wasn’t dead was one of the best things but at the same time I felt really sad. I know that Grover said they were busy and weren’t supposed to visit, but one visit wouldn’t hurt right? Especially in my situation.

            I sighed and sat back up, overlooking the cabins. They all looked the same except for the Apollo and Artemis cabin. The Apollo cabin could actually be looked at directly because the sun was gone and the Artemis cabin glowed a beautiful silver. You could see the Greek fire on the Hades cabin and you could smell the flowers from the Demeter cabin as well as the saltiness from the Poseidon cabin.

            Looking over the cabins made me want to know, even more desperately, who my parent was. I went from cabin to cabin deciding where I could fit in. The Athena cabin seemed cool. It would be cool to be half-sisters with Annabeth. Or it would be cool to be a Hephaestus’s kid too.

            I continued to think of who my parent could be until I realized that I should probably be getting to bed.

            Hopping down from the roof, I landed with no sound, something that I had been able to do since I was little. I walked silently into the cabin and crept to my bed then stayed away for only a moment more before falling asleep.